Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ok I need help with the puppy already

1. Senior Member

Ok I need help with the puppy already

Advertisements
    She won't stop pooping in her crate!! She crawled under the divider the first night so she could get to the back and poop, so we used zipties to suspend it so she couldn't fit underneath. We didn't use enough apparently because this morning when I came down to get her she had like pushed the bottom of it back so she could get underneath and then climb on top. Like it's hanging at an angle now. I'm going to put it back with more zipties to hold it straight but she poops more at night than during the day and that's the problem.

She's been crying all night anyway so I can't tell whether she needs to go out or is just sad about being in the crate. I have an alarm set for every two hours (why does anybody ever have a human baby, this is the worst) but I guess she needs to poop in the middle sometimes because both nights we've had her, she's pooped in the crate twice. I can't really set my alarm for every hour because I work and need to sleep, and also my husband will murder me.

How do I reset her poop clock? I want to make sure she's eating enough, but last night I took her food away like three hours before we went to bed and she still didn't have to poop until the middle of the night. Am I going to have to sleep on the floor in front of her crate forever? I mean she's just a little baby, I know she can't hold it for too long and she doesn't know yet how to tell us she needs to go. But I can't be sanitizing her crate twice a night forever.
  2. Senior Member
    How old is she?

First, about the poop. is it runny or is it normal? Does she normally poop a lot during the day?

I'd stop feeding before 5pm. Make sure she poops before bed and *see how it goes.
  3. Meet me underneath the Oklahoma sky
    Meet me underneath the Oklahoma sky
    For the first two weeks of Zoe's life I took her out every hour all night long. Then I moved it to every two hours for two weeks. And so on till she could make it 6 hours at night. I also had a set feeding schedule for her and we had someone who watched her during the day when we were at work. It was exhausting but she only had a handful of accidents inside during the whole potty training phase.

You might want to put a worn shirt in her crate at night to help with the crying. Make sure it has plenty of scent on it from you or your DH. I've heard a clock or warm water bag helps too.
  4. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Quote Originally Posted by Amanduh View Post
    How old is she?

First, about the poop. is it runny or is it normal? Does she normally poop a lot during the day?

I'd stop feeding before 5pm. Make sure she poops before bed and *see how it goes.
    All of this.

Also, check the bag of food and verify how much she is supposed to have (usually done by weight). Don't feed beyond that amount.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  5. Senior Member
    Can you buy her a smaller crate to use for now?

If not, but something heavy behind the divider so she can't push it.

But really, it isn't fair to secure the crate in such a way that she has to hold it for 2 hours or shit in her space. For a couple weeks, she may need to go out every hour and it is unfair to her to ask her to wait longer, especially when the alternative is shitting in her only living space. I know it sucks, but you have to do what is fair to her. Depending on how old she is, it might not b necessary for every long.

If you stop feeding her earlier, you might be able to do every two hours for the first part of the night, and then every hour for only the second half. If you don't want to wake DH, sleep out in the living room with the pup.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  6. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    She needs two set feeding times each day, in the morning and one in the afternoon. Figure out about how long after she eats she has to poop and do her afternoon feeding at that time. I'd also maybe go with a little smaller crate for now if you can't keep the divider in the one she has because she won't poop where she sleeps so if she can't get to a place far enough away she'll hold it. General rule of thumb is puppies can hold it for one hour per month of life, so if she's 2 months old (which would be about right for her size) then she should be able to hold it for 2 hours at night.

7. Senior Member
    I'd talk to your vet about the proper amount of food you should be feeding her and how often. I have a 3 month old puppy and according to the bag he should be getting 1 cup of food three times a day. However, the vet told us 3/4 cup three times a day. The first week we had him he was pooping just about every time we let him out. Thankfully he didn't have any accidents at night. She could just be getting used to the food and the new environment. I agree with what the others have said. Don't feed her past a certain time. Also put a shirt or something that smells like you in her crate to comfort her.
  8. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    If she is younger than 12 weeks she needs to be fed at least 3 times a day otherwise you risk hypoglycemia, so she will need to eat before bed. Unfortunately, with a puppy, that means continuing to take her out throughout the night. She will learn, but it may be a week or 2 of no sleep.
  9. Come along with me, misery loves company.
    Come along with me, misery loves company.

With both dogs when we first got them, they were in the crate next to my side of the bed. When they started to whine I'd put my hand to the crate door to see if they just missed me, and they'd either stop or whine more...if they whined more I would bring them outside. It worked well. Lucy never had an accident in the crate and gross piper just pissed in it, even after she was house broken. Thankfully that has stopped.
  10. Senior Member
    Buying a smaller crate wouldn't really do anything, we have the divider more secure now so she can't get to the back. I'm honestly more concerned about her hurting herself that way than pooping, I don't like that she's pooping all night but I 10000% prefer that to having a hurt puppy.

I always thought you were supposed to just leave food out all day for puppies, I think she's eating enough but I just don't know why she's mostly pooping at night. She eats during the day, poops once or twice outside, and then poops twice at night apparently. Is that just how her digestion works? Finn poops like half an hour after he eats and that's all unless he runs around a lot. And that's another thing, I even tried to wear her out last night so she would hopefully poop before bed and then go to sleep and it didn't work.

Tonight I'm going to bring my stuff downstairs and sleep in front of her crate so hopefully if I'm there she'll only cry if she needs to go out. Rereading my post it kinda sounds like I'm frustrated and totally unwilling to let her out at night, that's really not true. I know what's involved with raising a puppy, I'm just trying to solve this one single problem we're having.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast