Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Cat issues (2 cats)

1. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

Question Cat issues (2 cats)

Advertisements
    We currently have 2 cats- Calla is 2- 2.5 years old and Dahlia is well, she will be a year old here soon. We got Dahlia as a kitten and brought her home in May and they got along after the first week of getting to know each other. They ran around and played and got along great! In Sept, I noticed that Calla would growl, hiss or swat at Dahlia whenever she came by her and this has continued on and hasn't gotten better. I noticed that Dahlia tends to be more "rough" or "mean" and Calla doesnt seem to like that or even care to play, which is what I think Dahlia wants to do. Anyways, does anyone have any experience with this? After owning cats all my life, I've yet to encounter this
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Is there something specific maybe kitty is getting territorial about? Maybe creating a space to accommodate that will help.

We have one cranky dominate cat (Princess) and one not so bright but loving and concerned cat (Lunar). We adopted them together, but they came from the same home originally so we thought they would love each other and be happy together. We actually ended up at the Vet with her because her fits and hissing at Lunar got so bad we thought she was sick. A few hundred bucks later it turns out she was just cranky from not being allowed outside and wanted grass to munch on.

The Vet suggested grass patch first (her obsession) and if that didn't help then anxiety medicine to chill her out to keep Lunar from getting stressed from the abuse. For us giving her grass or supervising outside time as she walks the backyard makes her life better which helps us all out.
  3. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

Quote Originally Posted by Procella View Post
    Is there something specific maybe kitty is getting territorial about? Maybe creating a space to accommodate that will help.

We have one cranky dominate cat (Princess) and one not so bright but loving and concerned cat (Lunar). We adopted them together, but they came from the same home originally so we thought they would love each other and be happy together. We actually ended up at the Vet with her because her fits and hissing at Lunar got so bad we thought she was sick. A few hundred bucks later it turns out she was just cranky from not being allowed outside and wanted grass to munch on.

The Vet suggested grass patch first (her obsession) and if that didn't help then anxiety medicine to chill her out to keep Lunar from getting stressed from the abuse. For us giving her grass or supervising outside time as she walks the backyard makes her life better which helps us all out.
    Calla is in and outdoors per her request. She gets let out when she wants to be and let in when she wants. She comes in to eat, take a nap and then goes outside. I'm not too sure what she could be territorial about- it seems more like she just doesn't want Dahlia to jump on her and attack/be rough with her, really. I think that may be the issue is Dahlia is aggressive with her, and Calla is just too mellow and relaxed to deal with the kitten shenanigans.
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by airmanssweetie View Post
    Calla is in and outdoors per her request. She gets let out when she wants to be and let in when she wants. She comes in to eat, take a nap and then goes outside. I'm not too sure what she could be territorial about- it seems more like she just doesn't want Dahlia to jump on her and attack/be rough with her, really. I think that may be the issue is Dahlia is aggressive with her, and Calla is just too mellow and relaxed to deal with the kitten shenanigans.
    Are they both altered? (snipped, cut, tied, etc?)

Also, one could have thyroid issues which can cause aggresion.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  5. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    I struggle with this with Mook and Lola sometimes! What really worked was a PetSense brand plug-in. It looks kind of like a glade or febreeze wall plug in, but the idea is that it (supposedly) releases pheromones that calm your cats and stop them spraying, scatching, etc.

I've seen a change in Mook's aggression since I got it.
  6. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Are they both altered? (snipped, cut, tied, etc?)

Also, one could have thyroid issues which can cause aggresion.
    Yep they are both fixed!

Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    I struggle with this with Mook and Lola sometimes! What really worked was a PetSense brand plug-in. It looks kind of like a glade or febreeze wall plug in, but the idea is that it (supposedly) releases pheromones that calm your cats and stop them spraying, scatching, etc.

I've seen a change in Mook's aggression since I got it.
    My friend actually mentioned this too!