Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Help. My dog has a bladder stone

1. Senior Member

Help. My dog has a bladder stone

Advertisements
    Yesterday, I took my dog to get an X-ray after antibiotics couldn't clear up a UTI, and the Vet found that my dog has a bladder stone (only one stone based on the 3 x-ray shots they took). Based on the tests and her PH levels this new vet and my regular vet both believe she has a Struvite stone (one that can be dissolved on an S/D diet). However, this new vet is really pushing me to have the stone surgically removed. She said the only way to know what stone my dog has is by cutting her open to see. But, according to what I've read online, the vet should be able to determine the type of stone by doing a urine culture.

The vet who did the x-rays is not my regular vet, and after all the contradictions she made, I don't know how much I trust her. She has left me very confused and frustrated.

The new vet will go back and forth saying the diet could/should work but most people just go with surgery because they don't want to wait and see. But, then she tells me one of her vet techs had a dog with a Struvite stone and did the diet and the stone dissolved.
    She'll say we need to do the surgery (estimated at $1,800) as soon as tomorrow. But then say, we can wait a month or two and see if the diet works...
    And she says, we have to get x-rays (estimated at $800) every 2 weeks to see if the stone is getting smaller...
    Right now she has me giving my dog all these different things to take orally. But, today she tells me she doesn't even know if it'll help.

Has anyone had a dog with a bladder stone that dissolved on the S/D diet? Or did it require surgery?

****UPDATE****

I completely forgot to update this thread.

We decided to do the surgery with the original vet after x-rays revealed that the SD diet wasn't really dissolving the bladder stone. My dog healed quickly and I'm soooo happy she's healthy now. She's on the c/d diet now so hopefully we'll never have to deal with this again!
    Last edited by idratherbehiking; 02-08-2015 at 08:13 PM. Reason: update

2. Free!
    Free!
    Callie had bladder stones and it went away with just the food. It was extremely painful for her when they'd pass but our vet gave us pain medication for it. She also had to stay on the diet for the rest of her life but yeah surgery wasn't necessary.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boneslady View Post
    Callie had bladder stones and it went away with just the food. It was extremely painful for her when they'd pass but our vet gave us pain medication for it. She also had to stay on the diet for the rest of her life but yeah surgery wasn't necessary.
    Could you tell me the process you went trough?

This vet never mentioned pain meds. In fact, she really couldn't tell me much about the diet but instead she was so focused on doing the surgery. She said she really does not like the diet because the stone is porous and could keep getting infected.

Also, did your vet tell you to come in a lot to have it xrayed to see if the stones went away? This lady is like come in every 2 weeks then have it looked at every three months. It seems a bit excessive.

4. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    No, a urine culture wont know for sure. It can give an indication, but stones can be made up of, for example, 90% struvite and 10% calcium oxalate, or 20% strvite and 80% calcium oxalate- with either the pH can (not always, but can) be elevated, but CO doesnt dissolve with diets, while struvite does. Surgery is best also for the sake of the bladder not having some huge stone rolling around in there for 3 or more months and irritating the cells. You can always try to dissolve and if it does, great, but I always recommend surgery because a) you KNOW you will get it and you dont waste 3 months time trying to dissolve a stone that may not dissolve and b) its kinder to the animal.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    No, a urine culture wont know for sure. It can give an indication, but stones can be made up of, for example, 90% struvite and 10% calcium oxalate, or 20% strvite and 80% calcium oxalate- with either the pH can (not always, but can) be elevated, but CO doesnt dissolve with diets, while struvite does. Surgery is best also for the sake of the bladder not having some huge stone rolling around in there for 3 or more months and irritating the cells. You can always try to dissolve and if it does, great, but I always recommend surgery because a) you KNOW you will get it and you dont waste 3 months time trying to dissolve a stone that may not dissolve and b) its kinder to the animal.
    This is why I'm leaning toward surgery. But, I just got weird vibes from the vet so I wanted to know if she was being up front with me. So a few more questions: 1) does $1,800 seem high for this surgery? 2) Is it better if I call around and see what other vets charge? 3) How likely is it she will get more stones again in the future?

6. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    This is why I'm leaning toward surgery. But, I just got weird vibes from the vet so I wanted to know if she was being up front with me. So a few more questions: 1) does $1,800 seem high for this surgery? 2) Is it better if I call around and see what other vets charge? 3) How likely is it she will get more stones again in the future?
    a) Seems very seasonable to me (thats about what e charge), but that also is area dependent, so if you live in a less wealthy area, it may be cheaper and 1800 could actually be really high. You can always call around, but I do personally hate when people come to us or go to other vets to do certain things just because of inconsistancies when you continually switch doctors (just like in human med).
    b)See above
    c)Yes and no. If this is JUST struvite- like 100%, then its possible she will never get another, as *typically* struvite grows during UTI. Now if your dog is prone to getting UTIs, then its totally possible to get more stones. If this is any other type of stone (CO, cysteine, urate etc...), then its my no means a sure thing, or even a probable thing, but yes, more likely to have stone formation in the future, which is why your vet will talk to you about ways to minimize future stone formation once surgery is done.