Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: This is getting a little ridiculous......

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

This is getting a little ridiculous......

Advertisements
    I was already about the rising price of zucchini due to the end of the growing season and the closure of the produce stands I was getting our veggies from. I had switched to getting it at the grocery store with the rest of our groceries. Last week the grocery store's price for it doubled - so I some more. Yesterday they were out of zucchini, at least in the "regular" produce - so I ended up having to buy organic, and pay the price for organic -- which may seem like no big deal, but this is zucchini that is being purchased for the sole purpose of being fed to fish I don't even buy organic for the humans in this house
    I tried getting smart last year and freezing some zucchini to be fed later (thinking I could put up a supply to get through winter, especially since many of the gardeners around us start giving away the stuff when they get flooded with it from their garden), but it does not thaw well for feeding submerged, and they wouldn't touch it, so that is out.
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Fish eat zuchini? Odd. Never would have thunk it.

What about dehydrating it then rehydrating?
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  3. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    I wouldn't share this with just anyone (but I hope you can appreciate my warped sense of humor.)

I thought, "Hmmmm. That's interesting. I wonder if other substitutions would be an option." So, I googled fish food zucchini.

The first couple were questions about feeding strategies.

The rest were "Fish with Zucchini" recipes. Well, that turned my search on its tail.

I like Guy's suggestion about dehydration. Are there any other preservation techniques (not a strong pickle, but a gentle pickle maybe? canning?) which would help? Was the no-go on frozen due to texture? (Could you cook it differently first? or freeze in olive oil?)
  4. Senior Member
    Do you freeze it raw? Can you try blanching it really quick and then freezing it. I noticed when I tried freezing veggies that I ended up with mushy gross ones and after looking at different cookbooks about freezing things I decided maybe I needed to do the quick cook in boiling water then freeze them.
  5. Senior Member
    You might consider setting up a small green house or temp controlled area and growing your own. It would be an investment up front, but you could probably grow enough to keep yourself supplied all winter (depending on how much you need).
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Fish eat zuchini? Odd. Never would have thunk it.

What about dehydrating it then rehydrating?
    Most fish are omnivores and enjoy a little green now and then - the fish in question are plecos (DS's foot long common and the remainders of DD's breeding program of bristle noses) and they go nuts over the stuff.

it's also a great way to catch snails for population control - these are trumpet snails which live down in the sand and are nocturnal but can be lured out with zucchini - its funny because during the day with no bait you wouldn't even know there were snails in the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by casper02 View Post
    Do you freeze it raw? Can you try blanching it really quick and then freezing it. I noticed when I tried freezing veggies that I ended up with mushy gross ones and after looking at different cookbooks about freezing things I decided maybe I needed to do the quick cook in boiling water then freeze them.
    I have tried raw and blanched. The raw did not thaw well at all and turned into a nasty, slimy mess in the water - the fish wouldn't go near it. The blanched thawed a bit better, didn't get quite as nasty as fast in the water, but the fish weren't interested in it (they are picky fish, lol, they don't like sweet potatoes-a good winter alternative food for them, or yellow squash or any other common veggie offerings for fish).

Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    You might consider setting up a small green house or temp controlled area and growing your own. It would be an investment up front, but you could probably grow enough to keep yourself supplied all winter (depending on how much you need).
    Actually not a totally bad idea - there is some gardening in my future next year anyway that, yes, is motivated in good part by the amount of produce I find myself buying the various animals we have.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sunbeam View Post
    I wouldn't share this with just anyone (but I hope you can appreciate my warped sense of humor.)

I thought, "Hmmmm. That's interesting. I wonder if other substitutions would be an option." So, I googled fish food zucchini.

The first couple were questions about feeding strategies.

The rest were "Fish with Zucchini" recipes. Well, that turned my search on its tail.

I like Guy's suggestion about dehydration. Are there any other preservation techniques (not a strong pickle, but a gentle pickle maybe? canning?) which would help? Was the no-go on frozen due to texture? (Could you cook it differently first? or freeze in olive oil?)
    - had a similar conversation this summer when a co-worker had brought some veggies into work to give away and I asked if she'd mind if I took some for my fish (I just wanted to be sure she wouldn't be upset if I was taking it but not actually eating it) - she thought I meant to cook with fish.
  7. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    I found at least one website for a person who was able to grow zucchini in a greenhouse setting (I expect you'd have to hand pollinate it.) I was a bit skeptical because I seem to remember it being problematic as a hydroponic crop for some reason. (But that's been years and my memory is fading.)

I would be really curious what you would find if you did a flake through dehydrating.

You should tell the plecos they don't have room to be picky eaters. LOL
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunbeam View Post
    I found at least one website for a person who was able to grow zucchini in a greenhouse setting (I expect you'd have to hand pollinate it.) I was a bit skeptical because I seem to remember it being problematic as a hydroponic crop for some reason. (But that's been years and my memory is fading.)

I would be really curious what you would find if you did a flake through dehydrating.

You should tell the plecos they don't have room to be picky eaters. LOL
    Since Sunbeam mentioned hand pollinate, I was reminded that my parents grew zucchini (in an outside garden) and they had to hand polinate and said it was no problem. And they are definitely not super garden-y people. They just didn't have enough bees to do the job, so they googled it and found a video. They said all they had to do was figure out the sex of the blossoms, and then use a Q tip to pollinate.

So if you have to do that, don't be intimidated.

Also, would they eat pumpkin or other squashes?
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  9. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Since Sunbeam mentioned hand pollinate, I was reminded that my parents grew zucchini (in an outside garden) and they had to hand polinate and said it was no problem. And they are definitely not super garden-y people. They just didn't have enough bees to do the job, so they googled it and found a video. They said all they had to do was figure out the sex of the blossoms, and then use a Q tip to pollinate.

So if you have to do that, don't be intimidated.

Also, would they eat pumpkin or other squashes?
    Yeah, hand pollination is a snap. It's just a minor time thing. I also was thinking the male blossoms could be eaten by humans. They're a delicacy.