Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Cat entertainment?

1. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Blog Entries

Cat entertainment?

Advertisements
    Well we're hitting the first snag with Mowgli. Back story, my cat lives with my mom. He started living there when I moved from my old plac. DB'S not much of a cat person and mI parents got attached and with my dad gone my mom has pretty much said I'm not getting him back

He used to get out more, but he's now stuck inside all day. By the time Mom gets home it's too late and dark to let him out. He won't come in when called.

I know I need to get him worn out or my mom is going to have a terror cat till spring, but she's not home during the day. Suggestions?
  2. Senior Member
    I've never tested this theory, but I've heard that hiding things, like treats, around the house keeps them occupied and something or other about their natural hunting instincts.

I also wouldnt be surprised if they had "brain teaser" type things for cats like they have for dogs. Maybe something you could look up to see if something like that exists.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    A feeder/treat ball/toy is a great way to get them moving and feeling like they are "hunting, killing and eating" something. You can also hide 'stashes' of treats for the cat to find throughout the day - this can be as simple as a small share of his daily kibble ration, again it replicates his hunt/find, 'kill', eat.
    Is there someone who can spend 20 minutes a couple of times a day (ie morning before everyone leaves and evening when they get home) using some interactive toys to get him up and moving - ie the chaser stick toys with feathers at the end, a laser pointer? These can be used to get the cat to navigate through an obstacle course over the couch, under a table, around an object, up a cat tree, down to a landing spot, etc -- think of it as replicating the way a cat might move outside while stalking prey.
    The good news is that cats operate in pretty short, but intense, bursts of activity - these short play sessions are geared towards getting him moving fast and hard and playing him out to where he just lays down and needs/wants to rest which then triggers the next step in a cat's cycle, sleep (which is the majority of their day).
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Our cats are "bowl" trained. The sound of their food bowls clinking brings them running.
    when you feed them, clink the bowls or whistle etc everytime you feed them. They will come home everytime.
    never let thrm out after dinner.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Our cats are "bowl" trained. The sound of their food bowls clinking brings them running.
    when you feed them, clink the bowls or whistle etc everytime you feed them. They will come home everytime.
    never let thrm out after dinner.
    We do similar.. The cats come running when they hear a wet food can open.

But we don't let them outside... For numerous reasons, but in general cats don't live as long if they are outdoor cats

I keep mine entertained by giving them lots of toys, and if they really drive me nuts I let them play with the other cats
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what others say you cannot do!
  6. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CPANavyWife View Post
    We do similar.. The cats come running when they hear a wet food can open.

But we don't let them outside... For numerous reasons, but in general cats don't live as long if they are outdoor cats

I keep mine entertained by giving them lots of toys, and if they really drive me nuts I let them play with the other cats
    He's an indoor/outdoor cat. He likes hunting and exploring, I'll suggest this stuff to my mom. I think part of the issue with getting him in is that a stray has been hanging around and I think they are over the initial territory issues, so he has a friend.
  7. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    A plastic grocery bag and catnip My cat will seriously attack and play with that all day...then she sleeps on it!
  8. Regular Member
    You can get toys from places like walmart that you can set timers on and they'll go off for like 15-20 minutes x-times a day. I think they have laser light ones and ones that you hang on a door knob and a little mouse on string drops down and gets moved up and down. You can also get puzzle toys, scratching posts, "fishing poles", cat trees, little toys that chirp when they bat at them, crinkly tunnels, paper bags, cardboard boxes, etc. to keep the kitty entertained!
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AmandaA View Post
    He's an indoor/outdoor cat. He likes hunting and exploring, I'll suggest this stuff to my mom. I think part of the issue with getting him in is that a stray has been hanging around and I think they are over the initial territory issues, so he has a friend.
    We had indoor/outdoor cats when I was a kid... To me they are the same as outdoor because they can easily encounter an outdoor cat with feline leukemia or any other disease. Whether they are outside every night or 24/7, if they go outside, it just takes one incident to get hit by a car or get a disease

Ours were only a year old and both died young. One got a disease where his hair was falling out, the other we never saw again possibly getting hit by a car. Both died under a year.

However, I know that's not what you posted about. And my opinion will tend to be different than the general population because I breed and show cats. Outdoor cats have their purpose.... I always think of barn cats when I do so

I do hope you find something that works well for you. I do remember that problem as well that once they go outside, staying outside doesn't seem to suffice. And cats can be territorial like you said. Is he fixed? That may play a role too if he isn't and a female might be in heat nearby.

Some people I know with indoor cats who have wanted to give their cats an outdoor experience have done a catio.... Maybe that is another option?
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what others say you cannot do!
  10. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CPANavyWife View Post
    We had indoor/outdoor cats when I was a kid... To me they are the same as outdoor because they can easily encounter an outdoor cat with feline leukemia or any other disease. Whether they are outside every night or 24/7, if they go outside, it just takes one incident to get hit by a car or get a disease

Ours were only a year old and both died young. One got a disease where his hair was falling out, the other we never saw again possibly getting hit by a car. Both died under a year.

However, I know that's not what you posted about. And my opinion will tend to be different than the general population because I breed and show cats. Outdoor cats have their purpose.... I always think of barn cats when I do so

I do hope you find something that works well for you. I do remember that problem as well that once they go outside, staying outside doesn't seem to suffice. And cats can be territorial like you said. Is he fixed? That may play a role too if he isn't and a female might be in heat nearby.

Some people I know with indoor cats who have wanted to give their cats an outdoor experience have done a catio.... Maybe that is another option?
    He is fixed. He's very much a hunter my mom has no more mice in the house. little brat though refuses to go after the spiders though.

I'm going to check out the toys suggested also talk to the people at the pet store. My mom said so far he's just extra chatty. I have no doubt once it snows he'll be more than happy to stay in.