Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parasite Prevention

1. Senior Member

Parasite Prevention

Advertisements
    My vet is pushing a new assorted worm/flea/tick medication. It sounds good, but I wanted to see if anyone here knew anything about it. (We currently us Trifexis)

It's sentinel spectrum and bravecto.

2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

When I went to the vet to get flea and tick, I asked about trifexis and they said that as a practice they do not support trifexis because of some of the side effects. They had us get Nexguard instead
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chikatoka View Post
    When I went to the vet to get flea and tick, I asked about trifexis and they said that as a practice they do not support trifexis because of some of the side effects. They had us get Nexguard instead
    Nexgard and Heartgard? Trifexis does heartworm, intestinal parasites and fleas but not ticks, while nexgaurd does intestinal parasites, fleas, and ticks but not heart worms.

Personally I use heartgard and nexgard. But really anything that doesn't make your dog sick should work!
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by kms51211 View Post
    Nexgard and Heartgard? Trifexis does heartworm, intestinal parasites and fleas but not ticks, while nexgaurd does intestinal parasites, fleas, and ticks but not heart worms.

Personally I use heartgard and nexgard. But really anything that doesn't make your dog sick should work!
    yea we also use the heartguard for the heartworm
  5. Senior Member
    Although I will say that I have had my dogs on Sentinel for the past three months and have not had a problem. (I work in a clinic and we get samples from the drug reps)
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chikatoka View Post
    yea we also use the heartguard for the heartworm
    That's what I prefer because my dogs will eat them like treats unlike the other forms.
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Tank and honey are both on Sentinel Spectrum and Vectra 3D because of all of the parasites in our area and we adopted Tank with existing skin issues. We've been very happy with both meds.

We have not found a single live anything on either one of them once we started them on it. We found two dead ticks on Tank in the spring, both after walks and both were on the top surface of his fur on his neck. We found one dead tick on Honey when she went into the tall grass during a walk this summer. We found all of them within minutes of getting home from the walks, so between the two, they act fast.

Fleas are a real problem in this area. Neither the dogs nor the cats have had any fleas on them and we don't have any in the house. The dogs go out multiple times a day, so they're exposed to them.
  8. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    Tank and honey are both on Sentinel Spectrum and Vectra 3D because of all of the parasites in our area and we adopted Tank with existing skin issues. We've been very happy with both meds.

We have not found a single live anything on either one of them once we started them on it. We found two dead ticks on Tank in the spring, both after walks and both were on the top surface of his fur on his neck. We found one dead tick on Honey when she went into the tall grass during a walk this summer. We found all of them within minutes of getting home from the walks, so between the two, they act fast.

Fleas are a real problem in this area. Neither the dogs nor the cats have had any fleas on them and we don't have any in the house. The dogs go out multiple times a day, so they're exposed to them.
    Awesome.

They made spectrum sound good (and it's cheaper), but I wasn't sure how much of that was them up selling.

9. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Sentinel is a great product as is trifexis and advantix II. I prefer them to frontline, nexgard and vectra (I like as a product vectra, it just is a lot of liquid which a lot of owners dislike)
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    Sentinel is a great product as is trifexis and advantix II. I prefer them to frontline, nexgard and vectra (I like as a product vectra, it just is a lot of liquid which a lot of owners dislike)
    Is this dependent on the size of the dog? Because I mentioned you saying this before to the husband and he doesn't think it's too much liquid. He said it's perfectly dosed for a line from neck to tail.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast