Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39

Thread: Anyone else have a dog that's an asshole?

  1. Senior Member
    dolphindm04's Avatar
    dolphindm04 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    8,237
    #1

    Anyone else have a dog that's an asshole?

    Advertisements
    Dixie is going to send me to an early grave, or at least a blood pressure pill.

    hound dog has been with us for a year now. She's calmed down some, but she still barks...because she's a dog. A neighbor came to my door a while back to ask me to let Dixie in, which I had already done. I apologized profusely and have her my number to call/text if she needs to. (That day was embarrassing and humiliating; I've never had a dog this difficult before.)

    the neighbor has text me a few times, and it's always as I have just let Dixie in. I know she's an asshole and loud as hell, but I get there to let her in as soon as I can. I don't sit and wait for her at the door, sometimes leave the door open for her to come in on her own, but she's a dog and dogs bark. And Dixie is an asshole that doesn't like to come in when called. (We've had trainers over, work with Dixie ourselves, but she's just an asshole.).

    Anyway, I'm asking if any of you have any stories to help me feel normal. Suggestions. Anything.

    we have a shock collar that we use sometimes, that doesn't always work. I get her inside as soon as I can, but if I'm cooking dinner with raw chicken in my hands, it might be a few seconds longer for me to wash my hands and get to the door. Also, sometimes I leave the door open for her to come and go, but Dixie is an asshole who sometimes doesn't want to come inside and flees when we're at the door. Sometimes I have to walk to the bedroom for her to come inside far enough for me to get to the door to shut it so she won't bolt back outside.

    point is - I know my dog is loud and bothers neighbors (and also bothers us). I'm not ignoring her and leaving her outside, but I don't know what else I can do. I can't stand at the door every second she's outside; we all have shit to do at home. (Laundry, dishes, cleaning, more shit I don't want to do that has to get done.)

    It was suggested by my neighbor that I train her to not bark. I've never heard of that, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work on Dixie...but I will try if need be. I'm trying to be a good neighbor, but I'm at a loss.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    AshleyO's Avatar
    AshleyO is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    5,727
    #2
    I used to babysit for a family that lived next door to a really bark-y dog. They bought some sort of box thing (I don't know what it's called) that they hung near the property line. When the dog barked it emitted some sort of noise that the dog didn't like. Within just a couple days the dog stopped barking so much. It might be worth a try.

    I grew up with a dog that just didn't behave well no matter what. It's so frustrating to deal with.

    I Eelizah
  3. Regular Member
    Bruggs's Avatar
    Bruggs is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    140

    #3
    How about getting a doggy door so Dixie can let herself in?
  4. Senior Member
    dolphindm04's Avatar
    dolphindm04 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    8,237
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by AshleyO View Post
    I used to babysit for a family that lived next door to a really bark-y dog. They bought some sort of box thing (I don't know what it's called) that they hung near the property line. When the dog barked it emitted some sort of noise that the dog didn't like. Within just a couple days the dog stopped barking so much. It might be worth a try.

    I grew up with a dog that just didn't behave well no matter what. It's so frustrating to deal with.
    Thank you. We've seen those, but reviews weren't that great. Maybe they've improved since we've looked, thanks!


    Quote Originally Posted by Bruggs View Post
    How about getting a doggy door so Dixie can let herself in?
    She's scared of them. Our other neighbor has one for her patio/pool area, and Dixie refuses to walk near it...even when she sees her doggy best friend use it constantly. Plus, even when we leave the door open for her to come in on her own, she doesn't do that all the time.
  5. Senior Member
    Heisenberg's Avatar
    Heisenberg is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    16,413
    #5
    My grandparents also have a dog named Dixie and she's also a total asshole who never stops barking, maybe it's in the name.

    They've tried everything, the only thing that kind of works is the shock collar. And that doesn't even work that well because she likes barking enough that she doesn't really care that she's getting shocked. They tried a citronella collar too and that worked for a few weeks but then she got used to it.

    Do you try training her with treats? Maybe you could get her to listen to come inside better. Or I know this would be a huge pain, but have you tried taking her in the yard on a leash? Maybe if you do that for a while so you can reprimand her when she barks she'll get the hint that she's not allowed to do it. You could also teach her a quiet command better that way.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    lavender_jane's Avatar
    lavender_jane is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,252

    #6
    We've had pretty good results with clicker training. To get our pup to be quiet in his crate I worked with him starting in small blocks of time giving him a click in the moments that he was quiet, basically between fits of barking. Took a lot of patience but he started to get it after a while. I also used a warning sound, sparingly to let him know the barking was the undesirable action. The clicker stuff made recall training way easier too.

    There's lots of books and internet resources about it if you're interested.
  7. Senior Member
    dolphindm04's Avatar
    dolphindm04 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    8,237
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    My grandparents also have a dog named Dixie and she's also a total asshole who never stops barking, maybe it's in the name.

    They've tried everything, the only thing that kind of works is the shock collar. And that doesn't even work that well because she likes barking enough that she doesn't really care that she's getting shocked. They tried a citronella collar too and that worked for a few weeks but then she got used to it.

    Do you try training her with treats? Maybe you could get her to listen to come inside better. Or I know this would be a huge pain, but have you tried taking her in the yard on a leash? Maybe if you do that for a while so you can reprimand her when she barks she'll get the hint that she's not allowed to do it. You could also teach her a quiet command better that way.
    Could be the name thing...but she also perks when she hears asshole...

    this is is the 2nd time we've used the shock collar and it is at least working slightly better than last time. I shake the treat jar, show her the treats, etc. nope. We've resorted to telling her that her doggy friend Cosby is here to play and she comes quicker.

    The leash thing does sound like a pain, but I'll try it. If it helps, then it's worth it. Thank you!
  8. Senior Member
    dolphindm04's Avatar
    dolphindm04 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    8,237
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by lavender_jane View Post
    We've had pretty good results with clicker training. To get our pup to be quiet in his crate I worked with him starting in small blocks of time giving him a click in the moments that he was quiet, basically between fits of barking. Took a lot of patience but he started to get it after a while. I also used a warning sound, sparingly to let him know the barking was the undesirable action. The clicker stuff made recall training way easier too.

    There's lots of books and internet resources about it if you're interested.
    Thanks! Think DH tried something like that, but pretty sure he just clicked at random times and wasn't a method of any sort.
  9. Regular Member
    Bruggs's Avatar
    Bruggs is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    140

    #9
    Can you make the doggy door an enjoyable experience? Train her to love it. Get her favorite treats, whenever she gets near it act like its the best thing she's ever done. She may be afraid of it, but maybe she hasn't been properly introduced to it.

    As far as barking, they have those no bark collars that spray a citrus smell every time they bark and they learn to not bark or else they get the spray. I don't know if I would personally use that, but it's always an option.
  10. Senior Member
    dolphindm04's Avatar
    dolphindm04 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    8,237
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruggs View Post
    Can you make the doggy door an enjoyable experience? Train her to love it. Get her favorite treats, whenever she gets near it act like its the best thing she's ever done. She may be afraid of it, but maybe she hasn't been properly introduced to it.

    As far as barking, they have those no bark collars that spray a citrus smell every time they bark and they learn to not bark or else they get the spray. I don't know if I would personally use that, but it's always an option.
    I'm not sure if a dog door can be put on sliding glass doors, but I'll try that at my neighbors house to see if she'll warm up to it.

    i didn't know that there were squirty collars...thanks!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •