Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: It's official, my cat needs to lose weight.

1. Senior Member

It's official, my cat needs to lose weight.

Advertisements
    Soooo I took my cat in for her yearly check up and the vet told me I need to keep a close eye on her weight cause she's got some extra fluff. I kind of knew this was going to be a problem so I was already making sure I fed her the recommended amount on the dry food for what should be her "ideal" weight and she doesn't get treats/people food. I never had these problems with my parent's cats who are free fed. And she seems the normal amount of active for a cat. Any ideas? I don't want my kitty to be TOO overweight.

ETA: The vet recommended those toys that cats have to play with to get the food out but she's not very smart and I'm afraid she won't figure it out and just meow at me for days until I give in or she starves.
  2. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Feed her less- about 10-15% less than what you feed her now. Feeder toys are great and the one I like (Eggcersizer by Premier Pets) had 3 different levels. The first level has 3 large holes open so she can easily stick her tongue in and get food, and then you make it harder and harder as she gets it more.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I bet she will love the feeder toys. She won't starve - she will figure them out!

Do you have stairs? Do you have a cat tree?

Mine get a lot of exercise with a laser pointer. Keeps their attention for the longest time and they will race around chasing it! And if you have stairs, point it up and down the stairs and she will get exercise racing up and down.

But we don't free feed the cats, we measure the food.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    Feed her less- about 10-15% less than what you feed her now. Feeder toys are great and the one I like (Eggcersizer by Premier Pets) had 3 different levels. The first level has 3 large holes open so she can easily stick her tongue in and get food, and then you make it harder and harder as she gets it more.
    I'm just afraid she won't be interested in it or "get it." Maybe if she got hungry enough she'd catch on eventually?

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    I bet she will love the feeder toys. She won't starve - she will figure them out!

Do you have stairs? Do you have a cat tree?

Mine get a lot of exercise with a laser pointer. Keeps their attention for the longest time and they will race around chasing it! And if you have stairs, point it up and down the stairs and she will get exercise racing up and down.

But we don't free feed the cats, we measure the food.
    No stairs but she does like the laser pointer (which I've lost so maybe I should find another one). We've been making due playing fetch/chasing ping pong balls around the apartment. I don't free feed either, I measure according to the bag. But it does have a range and I aimed for the middle so I could probably cut back even more?
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post
    No stairs but she does like the laser pointer (which I've lost so maybe I should find another one). We've been making due playing fetch/chasing ping pong balls around the apartment. I don't free feed either, I measure according to the bag. But it does have a range and I aimed for the middle so I could probably cut back even more?
    I was afraid one of ours wasn't going to get the feeder ball - she wasn't over eating, she just ate too fast and would make herself sick. She figured it out in no time. And she's a complete sweetheart but she's not the sharpest, either. She has her moments.

Our vet told us to ignore the portion sizes on the bag and told us the number of calories that she wanted the cats to consume every day based on how active they are. Since having the calorie goal it's been a lot easier to figure out how much to give them. And the calorie count was a good 20% less than the volume measurement on the food bag.
  6. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    I was afraid one of ours wasn't going to get the feeder ball - she wasn't over eating, she just ate too fast and would make herself sick. She figured it out in no time. And she's a complete sweetheart but she's not the sharpest, either. She has her moments.

Our vet told us to ignore the portion sizes on the bag and told us the number of calories that she wanted the cats to consume every day based on how active they are. Since having the calorie goal it's been a lot easier to figure out how much to give them. And the calorie count was a good 20% less than the volume measurement on the food bag.
    Yup, they figure it out pretty well. And amounts on the bag are a good starting point when you first get a cat, but then if we are gaining weight instead of maintaining, we make that feeding amount smaller. Its about calories in and out, not amounts.
  7. Senior Member
    I totally feel your pain! My cat started to get overweight after I got her fixed a few years back. After her buddy passed away of old age, she just stopped playing so she pretty much refuses to exercise now. Unlike normal cats, she doesn't play with toys or anything. She just looks at me angrily as I try to get her to play with me. My baby is getting very bitter and crotchety in her old age

The only solution that I've found is an Iams weight control food and cutting out treats completely. She's slowly starting to lose weight now, which makes me happy. Slow progress is still progress. Best of luck with your kitty!

^This was her before we started her on the weight control food.

^And this was her shortly after we started her on the food. Progress is slow, but she's lost almost 2 lbs since we've began the food until now.

8. Senior Member
    I use a feeder type square bowl that's maybe 6 inches long and the feeder container is about a foot high. It basically refills the small bowl at the base after she eats. My kitty however is pretty active when she's awake and loves to play, like a dog at times, if I'm trying to do something. When I have nothing to do and want to play with her she's indifferent at times.
    I've been feeding her Friskies tuna flavor dry, never thought about the calories. I guess I should check the label.
  9. Regular Member
    Here is a link that the veterinarian I work for routinely hands out to our overweight patients. It has the calorie content of most of the major dog/cat food/treats, which can help you figure out how much of what kinds of food need to be fed in order to meet the calorie requirements for weight loss!
    Food & Calories | Association for Pet Obesity Prevention
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Amazon.com : Petsafe SlimCat Meal Dispensing Cat Toy, Blue : Pet Toy Balls : Pet Supplies

We used this for our cat and we got a prescription weight loss food from the vet. It is science diet D or something like that.

We tape up three of the holes and only one kibble falls out at a time. He went from 18 pounds to 13 now. He is more active and prefers the ball to free food. Only issue I have is finding it after the night time.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz