Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Doggie insurance

  1. I Will Rise Above
    Never a *Just*'s Avatar
    Never a *Just* is offline
    I Will Rise Above
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Eastern Washington
    Posts
    21,104

    #1

    Doggie insurance

    Advertisements
    Talk to me about dog insurance. Worth it? Not worth it? Best places to get it through? Does it cover routine exams, dental, yearly shots? Or just big sickness and illness type stuff? Why did you get or not get it?
  2. In vino veritas
    Dr.VinoVet's Avatar
    Dr.VinoVet is offline
    In vino veritas
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    14,852
    #2
    EVery insurance is different. Some cover just sickness/emergency costs, some only cover yearly, routine things, so you need to do you research. I say skip any insurance that covers yearly shit. You cant afford the yearly cost of $300 for the check up, you shouldnt have a dog anyway. But any emergency work can really cost you. Your dog tears his CCL (ACL in humans)- there goes $3000. Dog ate something and needs emergency surgery? $1500. Has bone cancer and needs an amputation? $1200. Got a bladder stone and needs it surgically removed and then subsequent x-rays to follow up and special food forever? Say bye to $2000. So look for insurance that covers emergencies, hospitalization, (some insurances will cover the surgery, but not the subsequent required hospitalization), if you are every interested in chemotherapy (which, for some cancers I fully love), some insurances will cover lots of that. My two favorite insurances are trupanion and embrace. Look them up for what they cover and dont. But DONT wait until there is an issue to buy insurance, as insurance wont cover any costs for treatments for pre-existing conditions.
  3. I Will Rise Above
    Never a *Just*'s Avatar
    Never a *Just* is offline
    I Will Rise Above
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Eastern Washington
    Posts
    21,104

    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    EVery insurance is different. Some cover just sickness/emergency costs, some only cover yearly, routine things, so you need to do you research. I say skip any insurance that covers yearly shit. You cant afford the yearly cost of $300 for the check up, you shouldnt have a dog anyway. But any emergency work can really cost you. Your dog tears his CCL (ACL in humans)- there goes $3000. Dog ate something and needs emergency surgery? $1500. Has bone cancer and needs an amputation? $1200. Got a bladder stone and needs it surgically removed and then subsequent x-rays to follow up and special food forever? Say bye to $2000. So look for insurance that covers emergencies, hospitalization, (some insurances will cover the surgery, but not the subsequent required hospitalization), if you are every interested in chemotherapy (which, for some cancers I fully love), some insurances will cover lots of that. My two favorite insurances are trupanion and embrace. Look them up for what they cover and dont. But DONT wait until there is an issue to buy insurance, as insurance wont cover any costs for treatments for pre-existing conditions.
    Awesome. I will look into them! I want to get it ASAP so he's covered in case of anything I just didn't know where to start. So much crap out there. Do you think dental coverage is important for insurance or not as vital? I am not up to date on the costs of dental
    Work and cleanings and such.
  4. In vino veritas
    Dr.VinoVet's Avatar
    Dr.VinoVet is offline
    In vino veritas
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    14,852
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Wackadoo View Post
    Awesome. I will look into them! I want to get it ASAP so he's covered in case of anything I just didn't know where to start. So much crap out there. Do you think dental coverage is important for insurance or not as vital? I am not up to date on the costs of dental
    Work and cleanings and such.
    I do. Dentals, when done properly (ie. full anesthesia and pain meds, full dental xrays of the mouth, extractions as needed), can easily cost up to $1500 if any teeth need to be removed.
  5. I Will Rise Above
    Never a *Just*'s Avatar
    Never a *Just* is offline
    I Will Rise Above
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Eastern Washington
    Posts
    21,104

    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    I do. Dentals, when done properly (ie. full anesthesia and pain meds, full dental xrays of the mouth, extractions as needed), can easily cost up to $1500 if any teeth need to be removed.
    off to research.
  6. I Will Rise Above
    Never a *Just*'s Avatar
    Never a *Just* is offline
    I Will Rise Above
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Eastern Washington
    Posts
    21,104

    #6
    Okay so I was reviewing Sabre's micro-chip information and it looks like when we adopted him we received 30-days of insurance through his micro-chip company which is 24PetWatch. Has anyone heard of them for insurance?
  7. Senior Member
    littlemissred's Avatar
    littlemissred is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,146
    #7
    When I did rescue a few years ago we used to give out that insurance as well. It came complimentary with the purchase of the chip as a way to get adopters hooked in to using their insurance. I don't think anybody ended up extending the insurance so I'm not so sure how they are.

    24PetWatch seems to be a bit spotty. The microchip part anyways. Whenever I bring in an animal from the field with their brand chip I know I'm going to have to make multiple phone calls in order to get somebody on the line. It makes me wonder how the insurance part of the company might be.


    Totally unrelated but you should look into https://microchipregistry.foundanimals.org as a secondary information source for your dog's chip. It is free and will be a second source of information for the chip in case somebody can't get through to the microchip company right away. I love it because it automatically sends out a text message, email and automated phone call when we report to Found Animals that we have the animal. Seems to be a lot more effective and efficient. Saves me 30+ minutes in phone calls and the dogs get picked up the same day. I hate seeing dogs sit in our shelter for weeks waiting for pickup.
  8. Fur/Feather/Scale Momma
    bugbabe623's Avatar
    bugbabe623 is offline
    Fur/Feather/Scale Momma
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    The Icebox
    Posts
    1,613
    Blog Entries
    1
    #8
    I did the pet wellness plan at Banfield and personally I like it! Now that being said I use it for my pet who ALWAYS gets sick and it covers ALOT of the work up. If your pet is ever sick a lot of the times getting the plan is much cheaper than the bill would have been without the "insurance".

    The thing I like about the Wellness plan is that if your pet gets sick or anything like that you are ALWAYS covered. Its not like where some pet insurance can reject you if you have a cat with diabetes or a dog with knee problems or whatever.

    When my cat had a UTI... the vet would have cost around $900+ for the work up but I walked out with a $25 a month bill for the plan and about $100 bill with the same stuff... and I have unlimited visits and various other things.

    I was going to get pet insurance but after reading that they can be just as picky as human health insurance was... I decided it was probably a waste of money... but that is IMO.

    Also: Also dental cleanings are included in the mid-grade plan which is usually SUPER expensive.

    Fur/feather momma to Zeus, Inky, Doodle, and Hermes
  9. Senior Member
    dekeoboe's Avatar
    dekeoboe is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,834
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by littlemissred View Post
    Totally unrelated but you should look into https://microchipregistry.foundanimals.org as a secondary information source for your dog's chip. It is free and will be a second source of information for the chip in case somebody can't get through to the microchip company right away. I love it because it automatically sends out a text message, email and automated phone call when we report to Found Animals that we have the animal. Seems to be a lot more effective and efficient. Saves me 30+ minutes in phone calls and the dogs get picked up the same day. I hate seeing dogs sit in our shelter for weeks waiting for pickup.
    I use https://www.petlink.net/us/cms2.spri...=/welcome.html. It is $19.99 for the lifetime of the pet and they also send out emails and call if your pet is found.
  10. Meet me underneath the Oklahoma sky
    LACY1020's Avatar
    LACY1020 is offline
    Meet me underneath the Oklahoma sky
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Bragg
    Posts
    5,009
    #10
    I know I'm late to the party but we use HealthyPaws and LOVE them. They do not cover yearly shots but cover everything else. We have a $100 annual deductible and are reimbursed at 90%. For us it's totally worth it. When we researched insurance many of them are deductible per illness, which is not what we wanted. They also do military discounts too. I recommended them to anyone interested in pet insurance.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •