Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer poop

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Deer poop

Advertisements
    Deer poop deer poop deer poop. It's everywhere. This is our first season in this house and there are deer in our yard every day now and the poop is ENDLESS. And fun new discovery: my dog eats it. Today my dog ate so much of it that he vomited inside the house and for a moment I couldn't tell if he puked or had diarrhea

I don't know what to do besides leash him outside and that just sucks. We have a big beautiful yard for him to run around and play in but I cannot get him to stop doing this. I attempted to pick up after the deer but it is just everywhere I'm thinking we might need to fence in a run for him but idk.

Stupid deer look so majestic and all but they are pooping all over my world!!
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I have never had a dog that ate deer poop.

Poor guy! Yea, I would put up a fence to keep the deer out lol
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lavender_jane View Post
    Deer poop deer poop deer poop. It's everywhere. This is our first season in this house and there are deer in our yard every day now and the poop is ENDLESS. And fun new discovery: my dog eats it. Today my dog ate so much of it that he vomited inside the house and for a moment I couldn't tell if he puked or had diarrhea

I don't know what to do besides leash him outside and that just sucks. We have a big beautiful yard for him to run around and play in but I cannot get him to stop doing this. I attempted to pick up after the deer but it is just everywhere I'm thinking we might need to fence in a run for him but idk.

Stupid deer look so majestic and all but they are pooping all over my world!!
    To the first bolded: ewwwwww

To the 2nd: that's probably going to be your best bet

4. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    I would wait on the porch and shoot them. Ok not really, but I HATE deer. Hate. They are nasty, dirty, parasite filled, over-populated, car-totaling PITAs.
  5. Senior Member
    Does your dog have all his needed vaccines? I ask because when we first moved to Florida our vet suggested we give my dog a new vaccine that is for a disease that is transmitted by lizards (most notably when they are eaten). Not sure what type of diseases deer's carry, but I'd watch out for that.

I would suggest a fence, because that is disgusting. If you can't afford a fence right now, put some hot sauce or the bitter apple stuff they sell at the pet store to prevent your dog from chewing on stuff on some of the poop. It will deter the dog from eating it. unless you have a beagle who thought that flavor was fantastic and continued to eat whatever you put it on.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

He is young but he recently finished all of his shots. God, I hope that wouldn't turn into a health issue for him. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to mention it to the vet.

To clarify, we do have a fence but the deer have zero problem getting in and out. I just thought if we fenced a smaller run for the dog I could at least clean the deer poop out of his fenced area and he'd be kept away from it. It would be to keep the dog fenced, not the deer. That really bums me out though because I don't want him kept in a small area.

I can try deterrents, both for the deer to stay out of the yard and the dog to stay away from the poop. I haven't done that yet because the yard is so big I'm not sure where to start. I just want it to stop NOW. I hate this so much!
  7. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    The only thing he can get from deer at tick-bourne diseases (lyme, anaplasma, erhlichia, rocky mountain spotted fever etc..), fleas, GI parasites, and if he is eating their poop (aka possibly urine too), then lepto. Deffo get a lepto vaccine, keep up on flea/tick topicals (and make sure it includes ticks! I like advantix II and nexgard) and have his annual 4dx (tick and heartworm test) done every year.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    I would wait on the porch and shoot them. Ok not really, but I HATE deer. Hate. They are nasty, dirty, parasite filled, over-populated, car-totaling PITAs.
    Yea if any hunters are having a hard time finding these fuckers they're all at my house. Come on over!

Quote Originally Posted by Amanduh View Post
    Does your dog have all his needed vaccines? I ask because when we first moved to Florida our vet suggested we give my dog a new vaccine that is for a disease that is transmitted by lizards (most notably when they are eaten). Not sure what type of diseases deer's carry, but I'd watch out for that.

I would suggest a fence, because that is disgusting. If you can't afford a fence right now, put some hot sauce or the bitter apple stuff they sell at the pet store to prevent your dog from chewing on stuff on some of the poop. It will deter the dog from eating it. unless you have a beagle who thought that flavor was fantastic and continued to eat whatever you put it on.
    It baffles me that I have to put something on poop to make my dog think it tastes bad But that's where I'm at. I should crumble his food and put it out there. He's meh about his food, of course.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

The only thing he can get from deer at tick-bourne diseases (lyme, anaplasma, erhlichia, rocky mountain spotted fever etc..), fleas, GI parasites, and if he is eating their poop (aka possibly urine too), then lepto. Deffo get a lepto vaccine, keep up on flea/tick topicals (and make sure it includes ticks! I like advantix II and nexgard) and have his annual 4dx (tick and heartworm test) done every year.
    Thank you. Going to double check his records and make sure everything is covered.
  10. Senior Member
    lepto is what I was thinking of!

Quote Originally Posted by lavender_jane View Post
    Yea if any hunters are having a hard time finding these fuckers they're all at my house. Come on over!

It baffles me that I have to put something on poop to make my dog think it tastes bad But that's where I'm at. I should crumble his food and put it out there. He's meh about his food, of course.
    my dog is a poop eater. I have tried everything to get him to stop. Even the pills the vet recommends. Still eats it. My dog eats anything.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast