Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35

Thread: My dog bit a kid yesterday. *long*

  1. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    KaityBug's Avatar
    KaityBug is offline
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    10,894
    #1

    Sad My dog bit a kid yesterday. *long*

    Advertisements
    I have an 83 lb pit bull/lab mix named Bear who is literally the sweetest dog I have ever met in my life. My two year old will lay with/on him and everything. Bear doesn't just tolerate it; he likes the attention. They play outside all the time together, and the only thing that's ever happened is an accidental scratch from stepping on DS's foot. I've even seen Caden pull on him a little before I could stop him and Bear has NEVER so much as growled.

    Yesterday we had a small baby shower at our house with about 30 people. I had Bear crated in our back yard (with food and water) for the entire baby shower, only because he is a big dog and can scare people sometimes due to his size and breed. He is crate trained and didn't have a problem being in there for a couple of hours. Close to the end of the shower my younger brother (22) went outside, let him out, and was roughhousing with the dog - just playing around, running with him and even picking him up for some odd reason. Bear was fine and having a ton of fun, and all of the remaining kids (DS, my 10 y/o little sis, and another 10 y/o boy) went out to join them and play. My brother came inside at some point while I was giving a tour of the house to the 10 y/o boy's parents and left the kids and Bear outside. That in and of itself is not a big deal because, like I said, Bear has never shown any aggression and is very good with children. It's almost like he knows they are fragile and tries to be careful around them. I generally do not leave my son unsupervised in the backyard with Bear, only because DS is tiny and unpredictable and Bear is a big dog with big jaws who could accidentally really hurt him if DS provoked him.

    My sister and the boy decided they didn't want Bear to chase DS's truck any more and came up with a plan to keep him away from the truck. (DS has a PowerWheels F150 and Bear runs alongside it for fun.) So the boy ran up behind Bear while he was chasing the truck and tackled him from behind. From what the boy and my sister said, Bear was startled and turned around to bark/warn him and ended up accidentally "biting" the boy's leg. The boy jumped off Bear and fell backwards onto the grass and ripped his shirt. The reason I say "bit" is because the resulting bruise was about the size of a half dollar in diameter and didn't have any teeth marks. It is obvious that he did not mean to bite the boy, or he could have done a LOT more damage. The boy came inside immediately after and calmly said "hey, Mom. I think I need a band-aid because the dog bit me." He wasn't crying or even really acting like it hurt, so we didn't realize at first that there was a small part of the skin broken and a purple bruise on his inner thigh. Well, they took the kid to urgent care just to get checked out (which I totally would've done as well) and urgent care wouldn't see them without our name and address and a description of the dog. Our friends (the one whose son was bit) are pet owners as well and have said their pit mix would've done the same and obviously didn't press charges or anything like that. I'm just really nervous about the incident because the urgent care filed a police report and they are supposed to check back up on us.

    I am just so scared the police will come out to investigate, see that he is a large dog, discriminate against his breed, know that he "bit" a kid, and try to take him and put him down or something. I'm not like a big animal person or anything, but Bear is part of our family. I mean, he is the BEST dog I've ever had the privilege of owning and I don't know what I'd do without my big cuddly dog. I am not an irresponsible mom/pet owner and would NEVER have a dangerous pet around my own children, let alone anyone else's. I really feel like Bear was wound up from the attention from my brother, and a little afraid because he was tackled from behind. Bear was even limping for a little bit after the incident, so I know he was at least a little hurt from it.

    Does anybody have a similar experience or any good advice? My mom says to just calm down and wait and see what happens. I know this is what I need to do, but it is very difficult to actually follow her advice. I'm pregnant and hormonal enough already!
    PS Sorry, this ended up too long and ramble-y!
  2. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    TrishAFSpouse's Avatar
    TrishAFSpouse is offline
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    12,308
    #2
    Are pitts a banned breed in your area?

    Are they any dog laws regarding pitts in your area?

    I am not sure, but I 'think' they can't press charges unless the victim does. I don't even know if they will investigate if no charges have been made. Nor did I know that a clinic HAD to get the name of owners and breed of dog.

    There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  3. we were all rooting for you
    KittenMittens's Avatar
    KittenMittens is offline
    we were all rooting for you
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    6,675
    #3
    No advice, but I wanted to send some to you and Bear. Hope things turn out okay.
  4. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    be: pistachio's Avatar
    be: pistachio is offline
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Let's be honest; Okinawa is not Japan.
    Posts
    3,717

    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    Are pitts a banned breed in your area?

    Are they any dog laws regarding pitts in your area?

    I am not sure, but I 'think' they can't press charges unless the victim does. I don't even know if they will investigate if no charges have been made. Nor did I know that a clinic HAD to get the name of owners and breed of dog.
    Unfortunately, that's not true at all. A victim never "presses charges." The state does, and can subpoena the victim to court even if they don't want to testify. However, if it ever went that far, their testimony sounds like it will only help you And usually, the state won't prosecute if their own witness testimony will help the defendant (but sometimes there is the crazy prosecutor who doesn't mind looking like a fool).

    It will probably all be okay. They will probably send out animal control to check on things, so just be very nice and calm and it explain it the way you just did. If it ends up at the magistrate, the boy's parents' testimony will go a long way in helping since no one thought he was acting ferocious
  5. Senior Member
    casper02's Avatar
    casper02 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    1,255
    #5
    My puppy bit a kid here a while back and when she took the child to urgent care she said the same thing. They asked for name address all that stuff about me, and told her to let me know that they would need to see his paperwork saying he is up to date on his rabies and all his shots. I have never heard from the guy that was supposed to be in contact with me. Just make sure you have all his records up to date and available to them if they need them. Try not to stress over it too much. Like you said the parents know it wasn't the dogs fault and they aren't pressing charges, I think it will all be okay.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    Procella's Avatar
    Procella is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    6,983
    #6
    that sounds so stressful.
  7. i request the highest of fives!
    lorem_ipsum's Avatar
    lorem_ipsum is offline
    i request the highest of fives!
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    29palms
    Posts
    10,037
    #7
    no advice but hugs because i know that would make me soooo upset. sounds like it should turn out fine, i hope it will!
  8. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    KaityBug's Avatar
    KaityBug is offline
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    10,894
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    Are pitts a banned breed in your area?

    Are they any dog laws regarding pitts in your area?

    I am not sure, but I 'think' they can't press charges unless the victim does. I don't even know if they will investigate if no charges have been made. Nor did I know that a clinic HAD to get the name of owners and breed of dog.
    No, they aren't even listed as "dangerous" or "vicious" in my county. Some counties/cities in my state have breed-specific bans, laws, and restrictions, but luckily not ours.
    I am not sure if the clinic's protocol is a state thing or just the specific clinic, but I do know they had to give them that information in order to be seen. They (our friends) called us to let us know before giving the information.


    Quote Originally Posted by be: pistachio View Post
    Unfortunately, that's not true at all. A victim never "presses charges." The state does, and can subpoena the victim to court even if they don't want to testify. However, if it ever went that far, their testimony sounds like it will only help you And usually, the state won't prosecute if their own witness testimony will help the defendant (but sometimes there is the crazy prosecutor who doesn't mind looking like a fool).

    It will probably all be okay. They will probably send out animal control to check on things, so just be very nice and calm and it explain it the way you just did. If it ends up at the magistrate, the boy's parents' testimony will go a long way in helping since no one thought he was acting ferocious
    Okay, good. I hope that is the case here.

    Quote Originally Posted by casper02 View Post
    My puppy bit a kid here a while back and when she took the child to urgent care she said the same thing. They asked for name address all that stuff about me, and told her to let me know that they would need to see his paperwork saying he is up to date on his rabies and all his shots. I have never heard from the guy that was supposed to be in contact with me. Just make sure you have all his records up to date and available to them if they need them. Try not to stress over it too much. Like you said the parents know it wasn't the dogs fault and they aren't pressing charges, I think it will all be okay.
    I have heard from a few people that said it should be okay, so I am hoping it is. Bear is up to date and all of his vaccines and treatments, so that should help us as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    No advice, but I wanted to send some to you and Bear. Hope things turn out okay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Procella View Post
    that sounds so stressful.
    Quote Originally Posted by lorem_ipsum View Post
    no advice but hugs because i know that would make me soooo upset. sounds like it should turn out fine, i hope it will!
    Thank you all! I'm a little bit more relaxed now after hearing some others' responses.
  9. Senior Member
    Heisenberg's Avatar
    Heisenberg is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    16,413
    #9
    omg I would be so terrified. Hopefully everything turns out for the best. I understand that they need info on how the injury happened to treat it but it's a shame that people hear pit and assume the worst.

    Finn "bit" my husband back when we lived in Hawaii, he tried to grab his collar to bring him inside and missed and sliced the part of his hand between his thumb and finger on his tooth. It was a really deep gash, he needed like 12 stitches I think. They kept referring to it as a dog bite in the ER and I was like nooooope not a bite! They did take some info about like what breed, his size, etc but nothing ever happened with it.
  10. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    KaityBug's Avatar
    KaityBug is offline
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    10,894
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    omg I would be so terrified. Hopefully everything turns out for the best. I understand that they need info on how the injury happened to treat it but it's a shame that people hear pit and assume the worst.

    Finn "bit" my husband back when we lived in Hawaii, he tried to grab his collar to bring him inside and missed and sliced the part of his hand between his thumb and finger on his tooth. It was a really deep gash, he needed like 12 stitches I think. They kept referring to it as a dog bite in the ER and I was like nooooope not a bite! They did take some info about like what breed, his size, etc but nothing ever happened with it.
    Oh wow! That sounds awful. Luckily Finn is a golden retriever and people automatically assume they are friendly (which of course most are). They never followed up at all though? That's good. I hope that is what happens here, too.
    On the description our friends put "small, brown dog" and told the urgent care he was a rescue dog and we didn't know the breed. I feel bad that they sort-of lied, but I also really appreciate it. Truthfully he is brown and he is a rescue dog, so we don't fully know what kind(s) of dog he is. He also could be small to some people, I guess, soooo yeah!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •