Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clicker training?

1. Senior Member

Question Clicker training?

Advertisements
    Has anyone ever tried clicker training with their dogs? Was it successful, or a complete failure and waste of time? How easy would you say it was, compared to training with just positive reinforcement (treats)?

DH and I had a discussion the other night about me training Carmen after he leaves. She is so very smart! I would almost go out on a limb and say that she is just as smart, if not smarter, than the Rottweiler and Pit Bull that my mom have/had. (Bubba was, and Bambino is, very intelligent! They could do all kinds of tricks and listened pretty well. I trained them with just treats, though.)

Carmen is very smart. But, she is very rambunctious -- sometimes rough -- and can be very mischievous! I chalk those behaviors up to her being a 10 month old puppy, though. I still would love to get started with training as early as possible and break some of those behaviors, because I know that it sometimes sticks easier when the dog is younger.

What do you guys think, though? I would love to hear advice from real people about their experiences and not just the people who are trying to sell their programs to me . And if you did have a successful experience, what advice would you give to someone who is interested in this method of dog training?

2. Regular Member

Where are you located in Texas? You can go to an obedience, agility, or confirmation class held by a group who is associated with the AKC. There are local groups everywhere.

As far as clicker training, I have never dealt with it but have trained dogs successfully without it.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

We just recently started this and so far it has been great! It took him no time at all to associate clicks with positive things like treats and affection. Within a week he learned to lay down while I fold clothes instead of trying to jump up and eat them He also lays down in the kitchen while I cook. We used the clicker to teach him to fetch (reliably), walk calmly on his leash without pulling, and we're working on other stuff with the crate and the car.

It's like before he only sort of understood when he was doing the right thing and now that we introduced the clicker he can narrow down the right behavior much easier and catches on to new commands a lot quicker. He also gets really excited when we bring out the clicker and treats, like it's a fun challenge!

We are new to the whole process but so far it has really helped us and I'd recommend it
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruggs View Post
    Where are you located in Texas? You can go to an obedience, agility, or confirmation class held by a group who is associated with the AKC. There are local groups everywhere.

As far as clicker training, I have never dealt with it but have trained dogs successfully without it.
    El Paso. I thought about bringing her to a class like that, but I don't think I would be able to do that for a while. Carmen was a stray when Animal Services caught her. She has the worst anxiety anytime I try to bring her anywhere but the backyard. It's kind of disheartening when she looks like she's having a seizure any time I try to walk her out of the front door to go visit the Vet; I don't think I could put her through staying out of the house just yet, as much as I would love to bring her out and show her off!

And every dog that I've had before was trained without the clicker. I've seen some people use it, though, and claim that it's easier and quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by lavender_jane View Post
    We just recently started this and so far it has been great! It took him no time at all to associate clicks with positive things like treats and affection. Within a week he learned to lay down while I fold clothes instead of trying to jump up and eat them He also lays down in the kitchen while I cook. We used the clicker to teach him to fetch (reliably), walk calmly on his leash without pulling, and we're working on other stuff with the crate and the car.

It's like before he only sort of understood when he was doing the right thing and now that we introduced the clicker he can narrow down the right behavior much easier and catches on to new commands a lot quicker. He also gets really excited when we bring out the clicker and treats, like it's a fun challenge!

We are new to the whole process but so far it has really helped us and I'd recommend it
    Thank you so much for your response! I'm glad to hear that you're having a successful response from your dog so far -- it's very encouraging. I'm looking on Amazon right now, and they have a kit with a booklet and cards of training tricks. Would you recommend something like that, or just the simple clicker & online resources that will help?

5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by bars_and_bodegas View Post
    El Paso. I thought about bringing her to a class like that, but I don't think I would be able to do that for a while. Carmen was a stray when Animal Services caught her. She has the worst anxiety anytime I try to bring her anywhere but the backyard. It's kind of disheartening when she looks like she's having a seizure any time I try to walk her out of the front door to go visit the Vet; I don't think I could put her through staying out of the house just yet, as much as I would love to bring her out and show her off!

And every dog that I've had before was trained without the clicker. I've seen some people use it, though, and claim that it's easier and quicker.

Thank you so much for your response! I'm glad to hear that you're having a successful response from your dog so far -- it's very encouraging. I'm looking on Amazon right now, and they have a kit with a booklet and cards of training tricks. Would you recommend something like that, or just the simple clicker & online resources that will help?
    We got some sort of a kit and the booklet was by Karen Pryor. The only other thing I recommend is getting extra clickers. After we got started DH ordered a few more that had little wrist bands. It was helpful for us to be able to each have one on us whenever an learning opportunity came up. Not a necessity but nice to have.

I liked our book but I'm sure there are plenty out there that are just fine, online resources too. We wanted a hard copy to carry around so we went with that.

Good luck!
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lavender_jane View Post
    We got some sort of a kit and the booklet was by Karen Pryor. The only other thing I recommend is getting extra clickers. After we got started DH ordered a few more that had little wrist bands. It was helpful for us to be able to each have one on us whenever an learning opportunity came up. Not a necessity but nice to have.

I liked our book but I'm sure there are plenty out there that are just fine, online resources too. We wanted a hard copy to carry around so we went with that.

Good luck!
    That's actually the exact set that I was looking at!! I think I'll go with that one, and order a few more clickers later. I'll be the only one here by the time the set comes in anyway

Thanks again so much for your input and help!!

7. Senior Member
    Yes, clicker training is great. It is a type of positive reinforcement, it just gives the dog a clearer idea of what EXACTLY is the right thing to do because a click is much faster than saying "good girl/boy" or even just "yes". Check out Emily Larlham aka Kikopup on Youtube, she has hundreds of free videos. She is awesome, I did an in person seminar with her and it was so great.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BiggyBiggs View Post
    Yes, clicker training is great. It is a type of positive reinforcement, it just gives the dog a clearer idea of what EXACTLY is the right thing to do because a click is much faster than saying "good girl/boy" or even just "yes". Check out Emily Larlham aka Kikopup on Youtube, she has hundreds of free videos. She is awesome, I did an in person seminar with her and it was so great.
    Thanks so much for the youtube suggestion! I just subscribed to her channel. I just watched one of her videos, and it is super detailed and seems so helpful. I can't wait to start watching the rest!

9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    My dad's dog did really well with clicker training when he was a puppy. He got the hang of it in no time and was able to learn quickly. My dog, however, was completely terrified of the noise and no amount of "getting used to it" helped. Anytime he heard it, he took off running.

I Eelizah
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AshleyO View Post
    My dad's dog did really well with clicker training when he was a puppy. He got the hang of it in no time and was able to learn quickly. My dog, however, was completely terrified of the noise and no amount of "getting used to it" helped. Anytime he heard it, he took off running.
    Oh, no! I hope my Carmen isn't too scared of the noise. I've read that some clickers can be too loud. Luckily, I haven't found a noise that she is scared of yet so I hope this won't be the first noise she is frightened by. Most noises just peak her curiosity. The only thing that I've seen her afraid of is leaving the house

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast