Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Parvo Outbreak...

1. Senior Member

Parvo Outbreak...

Advertisements
    So, there's allegedly been a parvo outbreak in our area because there has been a nonstop amount of rain and apparently that is helping it run rampant. People (maybe, like 10 of them) on local pet pages and spouse's pages are going crazy because they've lost dogs to parvo now and their vet has claimed that being utd on vaccines is no longer helping during this "rainy season" outbreak.

Seeing this constantly is really starting to get to me, because we recently adopted our new, 10 month old dog. She is still going through her puppy shots; she has completed 2/4 of them. Some of these people are talking about just keeping their dogs inside for the time being, because apparently even flies are spreading this disease. I'm becoming so anxious and paranoid about it that I'm considering trying to puppy pad train my dog because I don't want to lose her to some stupid disease. That would mean pretty much doing back on all of the work getting her house trained, but if it means not losing her, I would be up for it. Am I crazy for thinking about keeping her inside and puppy pad training her until this shit blows over?
    Last edited by bars_and_bodegas; 09-22-2014 at 10:55 PM. Reason: typo

2. Senior Member
    No. I don't blame you. Parvo outbreaks are the worst and the virus lives in the ground and all around for years until properly cleansed. It is AWFUL. I remember the last time our shelter had a parvo outbreak. It was devastating. All it took was one volunteer who bent the rules and touched all the cute puppies we had without washing her hands.

I mean, it is treatable but it is miserable for the animals and is a lot of money. When all the vaccines are complete you can slowly move the potty pad outside and remove it when she is ready! I don't think it will set her back.

You might want to verify with your vet but in my experience parvo really only gets to younger pups. I personally have not seen it in dogs over 7-8 months. It seems that they have most of their immunity by that time.

It's kind of a 50/50 shot at this point IMO. Chances are she won't get it but I also wouldn't want to chance it.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by littlemissred View Post
    No. I don't blame you. Parvo outbreaks are the worst and the virus lives in the ground and all around for years until properly cleansed. It is AWFUL. I remember the last time our shelter had a parvo outbreak. It was devastating. All it took was one volunteer who bent the rules and touched all the cute puppies we had without washing her hands.

I mean, it is treatable but it is miserable for the animals and is a lot of money. When all the vaccines are complete you can slowly move the potty pad outside and remove it when she is ready! I don't think it will set her back.

You might want to verify with your vet but in my experience parvo really only gets to younger pups. I personally have not seen it in dogs over 7-8 months. It seems that they have most of their immunity by that time.

It's kind of a 50/50 shot at this point IMO. Chances are she won't get it but I also wouldn't want to chance it.
    I had no idea that they possibly have an immunity over a certain age! I just don't want to chance it, because she is already (hopefully) recovering from giardia. She was a stray, which is why she is still going through the rounds of puppy shots. And apparently the outbreak is coming from the Humane Society/Animal Services (which is where we got her) & they do the DHLPP shots for $10, but I think I'll just pay the $35 to have it done at the vet because they will let me carry her in & never touch the floor. At the HS, they wanna walk her around where the other dogs just roam. I just can't deal with the anxiety of that & I hate the thought of losing this pup that I've already bonded so much with.

I guess I will call her vet tomorrow and ask them if they think it's a good idea to keep her away from the outdoors at least until she is utd on her shots.

4. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Flies do not spread parvo. Parvo is a virus that is shed in fecal matter from contaminated dogs, and can live in the environment for months. To keep your dog safe, simply do not walk them where other dogs go- try to stay in your yard or just block until vaccines are completed. The vaccine is 99% effective, so the dogs that had the vaccine but got it may have been out of date for their next booster (lots of people thin their dog is up to date when they arent. Trust me, I see it ALL the time). Dogs get immunity it is said generally after the age of 5-6 years, or when they are fully vaccinated.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    Flies do not spread parvo. Parvo is a virus that is shed in fecal matter from contaminated dogs, and can live in the environment for months. To keep your dog safe, simply do not walk them where other dogs go- try to stay in your yard or just block until vaccines are completed. The vaccine is 99% effective, so the dogs that had the vaccine but got it may have been out of date for their next booster (lots of people thin their dog is up to date when they arent. Trust me, I see it ALL the time). Dogs get immunity it is said generally after the age of 5-6 years, or when they are fully vaccinated.
    Thank you so much for replying! A lot of people are claiming that their dogs have only been in their houses and back yards and still fallen ill to parvo, but like you said... just because they say their dog is up to date doesn't mean they actually are. I think these people are honestly just trying to spread fear into other dog owners? I know that Carmen loves going outside and chasing me around the yard, especially when it's sunny out, but I think I'm only going to let her outside to go potty until she's utd on her shots.

Also, some people have said that they are going to start spraying their yard with bleach to sanitize it & they've claimed their vet told them that will help kill the parvo virus if it is in the yard. Do you think doing that would be necessary?