Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We got a new dog! I'm looking for some input...

1. Senior Member

We got a new dog! I'm looking for some input...

Advertisements
    It's been almost a year since I've had a dog. I actually had three dogs when I lived with my mother, but they stayed with her because... well, they were her dogs, too. Anyway, I digress.

DH and I adopted a 10 month old German Shepherd/Beagle mix from Animal Services yesterday. Her name is Carmen and we are so excited, because she is a sweetheart! That being said, I also have my 7 year old cat, Kita. I've had Kita since she was a few months old and it's been a while since Kita has coexisted with dogs. Hell, when she did coexist with them... she never liked them.

Carmen growled the first time she saw Kita and just stared until Kita walked off with her tail in the air. That was the first night that Carmen was home, which was last night. Today, when DH got off of work, we got a chance to properly "introduce" the two ladies. DH had Carmen on a leash and I held Kita. Today, Carmen didn't growl or stare. Her tail occasionally wagged, at the level of her back and she looked away quite a few times. No growls came from her. While she wasn't eager to approach, she did slowly attempt to step forward and close some of the space of three feet. However, Kita was growling and had her ears back.

I'm a little bit rusty when it comes to integrating dogs and cats. Like, maybe closer to a decade level rusty . The dogs at my mom's house grew up around the cats we had, including Kita. They didn't necessarily have to be integrated.

Any tips, advice, and/or input about all of this is really appreciated! I'm also wondering if it sounds like, from an unbiased perspective, if Carmen's attitude/demeanor seems to have improved?

2. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

Tie a string to the dogs tail, tie the other end to the cats tail. Stand back, quickly.
  3. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

And this thread is absolutely WORTHLESS without pictures. You can't say "puppy" and not post pictures!!!!!
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BraveLilToaster View Post
    Tie a string to the dogs tail, tie the other end to the cats tail. Stand back, quickly.
    That made me laugh out loud!! Definitely something my step dad would recommend doing.

Quote Originally Posted by BraveLilToaster View Post
    And this thread is absolutely WORTHLESS without pictures. You can't say "puppy" and not post pictures!!!!!
    I've never uploaded pictures on here before, so we will see how this goes... Apologies if they're way oversized or something

5. Senior Member
    She's gorgeous!!

Uhm, I don't know if this is the "right" way to do it but I basically seperated mine. I kept my room closed off to my dog so my cat had an escape place and just fed them near the bedroom door so they'd have to kind of get close. I never brought them into the same room or forced them to interact or anything and eventually they just kind of got used to each other and now basically ignore one another. My dog will occasionally go sniff my cat and she likes to bop him on the nose but otherwise they aren't too keen on interacting but they also aren't super pissed at the others existence so I guess it worked? My dog never really was aggressive towards my cat, though. It was more getting the cat used to the dog than the other way around.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post
    She's gorgeous!!

Uhm, I don't know if this is the "right" way to do it but I basically seperated mine. I kept my room closed off to my dog so my cat had an escape place and just fed them near the bedroom door so they'd have to kind of get close. I never brought them into the same room or forced them to interact or anything and eventually they just kind of got used to each other and now basically ignore one another. My dog will occasionally go sniff my cat and she likes to bop him on the nose but otherwise they aren't too keen on interacting but they also aren't super pissed at the others existence so I guess it worked? My dog never really was aggressive towards my cat, though. It was more getting the cat used to the dog than the other way around.
    Thank you!

And that's how my dogs always were with the cats when I lived with my mom! And I'm hoping to get Carmen and Kita to that level of coexistence. I ordered one of those tall pet gates (because I couldn't find any in the store here) and I hope that will be enough to keep them separated for the time being. I don't know how I'm gonna get them to constantly see one another through it, but... I'll figure that out later, I suppose?

7. Senior Member
    Very cute puppy!

We just adopted a German shepherd puppy and I have three cats

My basic advice is to give the cats time to get used to the new scent. So I keep them separated. The first few days the cats would bolt if they saw the puppy and puppy would bark at them all the time. Since we are house training, I was keeping puppy separated and confined anyway. Then the cats got more curious. We've had Riley about two weeks I think and I've got them to the point Jasper will hold his ground against Riley and Riley won't bark anymore.

The kitten and the old man, another story. I have found the kitten in Riley's crate when Riley isn't in it, so she is still exploring and being cautious. Old man, he just stays away. He isn't curious, he knows what a dog is... Just doesn't want any of it

So basically, we are at the phase they can now tolerate being in the same room but it is very supervised short visits. Yet I'm pleased with how Riley is doing
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what others say you cannot do!
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

OMIGOSH! SHE IS SOOOOO CUTE! Sooooo sooo cute! I heard German Shepard and Beagle mix and was immediately omg there better be pics! Haha.

Anyway, I don't have much experience with integrating dogs and cats, but I do have some experience with dogs and dogs, and I figure that it's kind of sort of similar... and cats can get away. I would definitely let kitty get used to the scent for a little while (like a day or two) and then slowly (and cautiously) let them feel each other out. I wouldn't keep puppy leashed though. Dogs tend to act a bit differently when tied up, AND animals are usually pretty good at feeling the situation out themselves. That being said, until they are cool with each other, I would suggest keeping them separated when no one is home with them.

(I reiterate that I don't have experience with cats and dogs *I'm HIGHLY allergic to cats lol* but usually cats are able to hold their own (in my experience) and dogs are good at taking queues (and smacks to the face if need be) to put them in their place (which Im sure kitty will be queen bee because she was there first and is older)

Good Luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow Brite View Post
    There needs to be a blowing rainbows, sunshine, butterflies, and happiness up an asshole smiley.
    ]
  9. Senior Member
    Awwwww your dog is adorable

10. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

It's just the cutest thing that ever existed. Ever. I mutty mutts.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast