Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heartworm treatment *COUGH VINO COUGH*

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Heartworm treatment *COUGH VINO COUGH*

Advertisements
    I just dropped Brady off for his heart worm treatment in the morning he's getting 2 shots to kill all of the worms hopefully.

has anyone done this before? I'm kinda freaking out and wish i was getting the shots instead of him.

Vino,
    I know he needs to me calm for six weeks but can you maybe define "calm" for me? I get no running but other than that? the vet literally said crate him 24/7 which seems extremely cruel since I'm in a 1 bedroom apt and he can see me.

tia
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I have not had to deal with it and I'm not Vino, but my cousin does rescue in Georgia and has dealt with it and she said other than potty breaks, she has to crate them. She said it breaks her heart but she knows it's in their best interest.

I hope all goes well.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    I have not had to deal with it and I'm not Vino, but my cousin does rescue in Georgia and has dealt with it and she said other than potty breaks, she has to crate them. She said it breaks her heart but she knows it's in their best interest.

I hope all goes well.
    thanks i may have to put the crate in my room or something then i guess cuz id think if he can see me sitting on the couch he's going to be going crazy in the crate.

is your cousin's dog ok? did he have any issues with the treatment?
  4. Senior Member
    I almost think it's meaner to put his crate in your room, he probably would rather see you. If it were me and my dog I would probably move his crate in my room at night but I'm a psycho and my dog is codependent.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by *Heather* View Post
    thanks i may have to put the crate in my room or something then i guess cuz id think if he can see me sitting on the couch he's going to be going crazy in the crate.

is your cousin's dog ok? did he have any issues with the treatment?
    I know she has gone through the treatment with three pit bulls that she's pulled from shelters and all three of them came through fine and found forever homes!
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I almost think it's meaner to put his crate in your room, he probably would rather see you. If it were me and my dog I would probably move his crate in my room at night but I'm a psycho and my dog is codependent.
    Me too. My DH tells me I'm crazy and that I love my dog more than him (duh). But my dog was being the biggest brat ever one night so I had to put him in his crate so I could get some sleep but I had the crate next to my bed and had my fingers in there on him.
  7. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Unless he will literally sleep on the couch and not even walk around, yes, crate. The danger is that the dead worms move into their lungs, cause an embolism and the dog dies, so crating is not extreme, it is a medical necessity.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    idk i feel like that would make him cry because he'd rather be in my lap haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    I know she has gone through the treatment with three pit bulls that she's pulled from shelters and all three of them came through fine and found forever homes!
    awe yay thank you! your the first person ive heard that knows someone who did it. i adopted him with it too so the rescue is paying for it so now I'm gonna be anal forever about heart worm preventative haha. ive actually been shocked by the amount of people who have told me i was crazy for getting him because he has it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Candice. View Post
    Me too. My DH tells me I'm crazy and that I love my dog more than him (duh). But my dog was being the biggest brat ever one night so I had to put him in his crate so I could get some sleep but I had the crate next to my bed and had my fingers in there on him.
    thats adorable haha he's slept in the living room since i got him, i have a weird thing about him in my bed/bedroom i don't like it unless I'm awake in there lol. and of course you love your dog more than your DH haha i told DB the first date that if he didn't like the dog this wouldn't work haha, luckily he loves the dog
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    Unless he will literally sleep on the couch and not even walk around, yes, crate. The danger is that the dead worms move into their lungs, cause an embolism and the dog dies, so crating is not extreme, it is a medical necessity.
    thank you!! i thought it was excessive but I'm def petrified of that happening so crate 24/7 it is! i trust you than my vet which prob means i need to find a new vet or get to know this one better.
  10. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

Oh gosh I can't imagine, that is going to be heartbreaking to deal with.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast