Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: How to integrate a new dog with an old one

1. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket

How to integrate a new dog with an old one

Advertisements
    My mom and step dad are getting a new dog, a 5-year old fixed male English Setter.
    He used to be the dog of one of my step-dad's hunting buddies. The buddy died a year ago and the widow has decided she wants my step-dad have it, since's he's still an avid hunter and the dog is an extremely well-trained pointer dog.

However, my mom and step-dad are pretty ...ambivalent... about actually planning on how to integrate the new dog with their old one (7 year old, recently-fixed male Toller) They figure that the dogs will work it out and it will all be fine.

Does anyone have any basic advice or resources I can pass along? My mom is fairly willing to listen to me so if I give her good advice she might take it.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  2. Senior Member
    Just that I've heard they should be introduced in a neutral setting, not in the house at first and that they should each have their own space like a crate that they can go into when they don't want to be around the other dog. Also separate food and possibly even water dishes at first. My mom got a new dog a few weeks ago and keeps his food in his crate so he's kind of separate from other dogs when he's eating so there's no aggression issues.
  3. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

4. Senior Member
    I'll probably bookmark this thread because my chihuahua is super dominant and can be aggressive with other dogs so I'm really nervous about when we add to our family, we definitely want another dog one day and if he could put his issues aside and be nice I'm sure it'd be nice for him to have a friend.
  5. Senior Member
    Have the dogs meet in a neutral area that's out in the open like a park or something.
    I'm sorry I don't have much advice. Our first dog kind of picked our second dog for us.

6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Candice. View Post
    I'll probably bookmark this thread because my chihuahua is super dominant and can be aggressive with other dogs so I'm really nervous about when we add to our family, we definitely want another dog one day and if he could put his issues aside and be nice I'm sure it'd be nice for him to have a friend.
    A lot of shelters will let you bring your dog in to introduce him to the dog you might adopt. We introduced our dog to quite a few other pups before he finally "picked" our second dog.

7. Senior Member
    I agree with the idea of meeting in a neutral area. I would add to have them walk together at that first meeting as well. Walking is a pack activity so your dog may get the idea that the pack is growing and that gives him time to get acclimated to being around the new pack member. We had a lot of success with this method for our rescues and they were inseparable after that. ^_^

8. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Thank you all so much for the info! I sent it all to my mom and she used some of it for the integration. It's been going quite well and although the dogs aren't BFFs yet, they aren't fighting or showing aggression at all either!

Here's the new pup!
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  9. Senior Member
    When my mom brought home a new dog, her Rottie was not happy at all!! I would definitely suggest meeting in a neutral setting and investing in one of those tall pet gates. The new dog needs to have a room to himself, where he can be restricted and/or have a safe place. It's very important that the resident dog is not restricted because that will cause animosity.

My mom separated the two because she didn't need the Pit and Rottie fighting (which they were trying to). They interacted through the gate for a couple of weeks and, now, with supervision... they're BFFs