Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Puppy tips!

1. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries

Puppy tips!

Advertisements
    It's been 6 years since we had puppies and 4 years since we've had pets! So give me your puppy times. We should be getting our doxies next week or the week after. They went to the vet today to get their final check up. They are now 7 weeks old but she said they are small so she might keep them till 9 weeks.
    We have kennels ready for them. They are brother and sister. Not sure if we should put them in separate kennels right away or wait. We have collars and leashe, few toys and treats. We have the food we want to feed them. I just need to puppy proof down stairs quickly (easy to do with no HHG yet )
    So hit me with any tips, treats, or well wishes
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

2. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Here's pictures

They are doxies. Girl is Black and Tan named Molly, boy is red named Rex.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

3. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Lots of well wishes!

Since you're getting brother and sister, you can also do some research on littermate syndrome too ... might be a good idea to give them each their own space right away.

BTW ... 7 weeks seems really early for any breeder to be sending the pups away. I would try to get her to keep them til they are 8-10 weeks old. 8 weeks would be my minimum for taking a puppy. Anything less than that is a red flag.
  4. Senior Member

Carrots (frozen or just raw) are good, healthy treats for teething puppies.
    Doggie door bells are great, and dogs seem to pick it up quickly.
    There are theories that little dogs become nippy because people don't bother to train them, because they can just pick them up. Regardless of their size, dogs tend to do better when trained.
    Training your dogs to sit at the door instead of bolting when you open the doors is not only good manners, it's a safety thing - keeps them from running out an open gate or into the road.

I'm just kinda rambling, but do you have any specific questions?

5. Senior Member
    Omg just cover your house in puppy pads and buy a freaking carpet cleaner now.

I am fostering a puppy and Oh.My.Gosh he pees a lot.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  6. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    Lots of well wishes!

Since you're getting brother and sister, you can also do some research on littermate syndrome too ... might be a good idea to give them each their own space right away.

BTW ... 7 weeks seems really early for any breeder to be sending the pups away. I would try to get her to keep them til they are 8-10 weeks old. 8 weeks would be my minimum for taking a puppy. Anything less than that is a red flag.
    Oh no we aren't getting them now, they turned 7 weeks on Friday. This Friday they will be 8 weeks, but will most likely be the week after we get them at 9 weeks!
    I'll research that? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by missinghim View Post

This dogs are only staying downstairs for this reason! If they pee upstairs we have to re do the carpet when we move out so down stairs is all lament .
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

7. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HazeGray View Post
    Carrots (frozen or just raw) are good, healthy treats for teething puppies.
    Doggie door bells are great, and dogs seem to pick it up quickly.
    There are theories that little dogs become nippy because people don't bother to train them, because they can just pick them up. Regardless of their size, dogs tend to do better when trained.
    Training your dogs to sit at the door instead of bolting when you open the doors is not only good manners, it's a safety thing - keeps them from running out an open gate or into the road.

I'm just kinda rambling, but do you have any specific questions?
    Come over and see them
    I'm hoping we can build a fence soon so they can't run away and we can just open the door to let them out once they are older.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

8. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Oh my gosh, so cute!

I thought you were PCSing soon?!

life's a party, rock your body
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    One of the most helpful things was to learn what motivates your dog ASAP. My dogs love love love treats. As soon as that became apparent it was so easy to train them. It took about 3 days of giving Teddy treats every time he went poop or pee outside before he was completely trained. He got all the basic obedience commands (besides stay, we have a hard time with that one. ) within a week or two because he'll do anything for a treat.

I Eelizah
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by missinghim View Post

The pee is endless

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyO View Post
    One of the most helpful things was to learn what motivates your dog ASAP. My dogs love love love treats. As soon as that became apparent it was so easy to train them. It took about 3 days of giving Teddy treats every time he went poop or pee outside before he was completely trained. He got all the basic obedience commands (besides stay, we have a hard time with that one. ) within a week or two because he'll do anything for a treat.
    This is so true. We were sort of stumped by our puppy because he was really meh about treats (or at least the ones we had) and we were counting on training him with treats, obviously. Turned out he was crazy about sticks and we had to use them for a little while. Also, he'd spit out a treat but if we rewarded him with a single piece of his own food he loved it. Weirdo!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast