Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog to Guam?!

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Dog to Guam?!

Advertisements

Not sure if this is the right forum for this...but

Does anyone have experience bringing a dog to Guam from the United States. The information I have been finding is contradictory. Guam's Department of Agriculture only states that I need results from a Rabies Titer (FAVN) test, and of course other vaccination records. But, I just spoke with my local vet who said I must wait 90 days before I can bring the dog. I just need to know if there is truth to this 90 days business?! I understand all the other requirements.

Any one who can weigh in, please and thank you!
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by CourtLove View Post

Not sure if this is the right forum for this...but

Does anyone have experience bringing a dog to Guam from the United States. The information I have been finding is contradictory. Guam's Department of Agriculture only states that I need results from a Rabies Titer (FAVN) test, and of course other vaccination records. But, I just spoke with my local vet who said I must wait 90 days before I can bring the dog. I just need to know if there is truth to this 90 days business?! I understand all the other requirements.

Any one who can weigh in, please and thank you!
    There is a quarantine period for animals since Guam is rabies free but by doing different things at different time frames, you can do quarantine at home.

Let me pull up the checklist I worked off of when I moved our animals.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Here ya go! Let me know if you have any other issues with Guam

http://guamonestoppcs.com/wp-content...nformation.pdf
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by KnittingGuamMama View Post
    Here ya go! Let me know if you have any other issues with Guam

http://guamonestoppcs.com/wp-content...nformation.pdf
    Thank you!

Yes, I do know about the quarantine program, and from everything I have read, my dog would be eligible for the home 120 day option. The list you posted is the same one I have been going off of too, and I haven't seen anything about needing to wait 90 days prior. My dog meets all the requirements as far as the first two rabies vaccines, the only thing she needs is the titer test. I am going to see a different vet for a second opinion, because I just don't see anything about 90 days?!

One more question, you may be able to answer. What is the exact process when we arrive to Guam, for my dog. Assuming we will go with the home quarantine, am I able to take her with me right away and then just bring her to a vet, or is she transported directly to a vet/quarantine location on arrival?

Thanks again, Ill do my best not to overload you with Guam questions! haha
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Thank you!

Yes, I do know about the quarantine program, and from everything I have read, my dog would be eligible for the home 120 day option. The list you posted is the same one I have been going off of too, and I haven't seen anything about needing to wait 90 days prior. My dog meets all the requirements as far as the first two rabies vaccines, the only thing she needs is the titer test. I am going to see a different vet for a second opinion, because I just don't see anything about 90 days?!

One more question, you may be able to answer. What is the exact process when we arrive to Guam, for my dog. Assuming we will go with the home quarantine, am I able to take her with me right away and then just bring her to a vet, or is she transported directly to a vet/quarantine location on arrival?

Thanks again, Ill do my best not to overload you with Guam questions! haha
    Overload away! I wish I had someone to help me out when we moved there!

I vaguely remember something about 90 days and getting the titer blood draw done but it's been a while now. Can you take her to a base vet? (Sorry. I can't remember if you're married or fiancee/girlfriend so I apologize in advance ) If you can, do that because they have the best info for military moves overseas. If you can't, you should call and ask them if you can just double check the process with them, even though you're "just" gf/fiancée.

Now, when you get there, it may be different for you because we came from Hawaii so the dogs were coming from another rabies free location but here's my experience. They and the cats went as cargo. After I deboarded, I drove over to the cargo area where they were waiting in the crates. I had to wait for an Department of Agriculture and Customs officer to come and basically just sign off on the paperwork and release them. Bring exact cash/change. You won't know the fee until you get there and no one told me so me and the two boat wives that picked me and my son up (the boat hadn't gotten there yet) were scrounging for exact coins and change at midnight. It was ridiculous. After that, the pets were released to me.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Thank you! I so appreciate your willingness. It is hard to talk to anyone actually on Guam because of the time distance, and with DB underway, it is even more difficult to get info. lol, yes, I am just GF for now. I will try to call anyways for information. Good to know about the right change thing, that is something I definitely would not have been prepared for! OK, one more dog question, If I were to go to Guam ahead of time, would I be able to fly my dog out later, through United as cargo? Or do I actually have to be on the plane for her to be flown? Is that a silly question? haha, oh well.

Thanks again!!
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Thank you! I so appreciate your willingness. It is hard to talk to anyone actually on Guam because of the time distance, and with DB underway, it is even more difficult to get info. lol, yes, I am just GF for now. I will try to call anyways for information. Good to know about the right change thing, that is something I definitely would not have been prepared for! OK, one more dog question, If I were to go to Guam ahead of time, would I be able to fly my dog out later, through United as cargo? Or do I actually have to be on the plane for her to be flown? Is that a silly question? haha, oh well.

Thanks again!!
    Absolutely not silly! Yep, you can fly ahead of the dog. Just make sure you give whoever puppy stays with written permission to get vet care, health certificate,and fly the dog out. Also, when you make reservations, make sure they have said friend's name for the sender and YOUR name for receiver, a lot of times they just plug in the first name twice so double, triple check that.

We just flew ahead of our animals and had friends ship our dogs from Guam to SC and it was much easier for us.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by KnittingGuamMama View Post
    Absolutely not silly! Yep, you can fly ahead of the dog. Just make sure you give whoever puppy stays with written permission to get vet care, health certificate,and fly the dog out. Also, when you make reservations, make sure they have said friend's name for the sender and YOUR name for receiver, a lot of times they just plug in the first name twice so double, triple check that.

We just flew ahead of our animals and had friends ship our dogs from Guam to SC and it was much easier for us.
    Oh, that is a great relief! If the 90 days thing is accurate, then that would probably be the option. Thank you!! How far is the flight from Guam to SC? Did your dogs do okay with the travel?
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Oh, that is a great relief! If the 90 days thing is accurate, then that would probably be the option. Thank you!! How far is the flight from Guam to SC? Did your dogs do okay with the travel?
    It's over 24hrs of traveling with an overnight in Hawaii, as well. All of our pets did wonderfully. We have a 13yo dog who the vet allowed to fly this final time and even he did great. The cats peed in their crates but both dogs had clean crates. United PetSafe has gotten bad press in the past but they were great. We got phone calls from each stop letting us know they were all safe and sound and the dogs actually had handwritten notes from the Hawaii overnight kennel workers telling us that they loved the dogs and they were great the whole day they were there. Even had new toys in the crates

I was an absolute nervous wreck but they all did fine
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Oh, that is great to hear! I have been really nervous of the flight, but my dog is pretty calm and I think she'll have no problem snoozing through it. Do you mind me asking the cost? My dog is small, so United's website said it would cost about 350. But if she is going alone, would it be different?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast