Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pet OCONUS questions

1. Senior Member

Pet OCONUS questions

Advertisements
    I am damn sick of waiting to be a dog owner again. We decided to get a dog, then put it off when we found out we were going to Japan. Then we put it off again when we found out we were going to Germany. Well now we found out we are going back to Japan, and I don't know if I can stand waiting any longer.

We'll be in the States for about 8 months in between Germany and Japan, and I am considering getting a dog during that time. I've read about the process but have some questions.

First, if we get a puppy (because getting a rescue in that short time will be tough), will we have enough time to get him ready to go. For the sake of the math, I'll assume the puppy is born as soon as I arrive in the States and start my 8 months, though he could be born before that or slightly after. He needs to be old enough to get the chip and rabies shot (12-14 weeks, AFAICT, so well call it 3 months), then 31 days between and the 2nd rabies shot (putting us at 4 months), then a 21 day wait for the AFVN blood draw (I think...Is that correct?) (so we'll call that 5 months, though it would be just shy). Then start the quarantine. We wouldn't have time to do the full 180 days, but I think that can be finished on base. With those times, we'd be about 3 months into the quarantine, or halfway.

Is that correct?

Also, am I correct the the Patriot Express doesn't have temperature requirements? The dog we want isn't brachycephalic, but he is large and hairy and black, though we could certainly cut him short before a move. We could drive to Seattle to catch the PE, if necessary. We don't have exact dates, but we'd probably be going in May or June. If we were put on a commercial flight instead, how do you deal with the heat restrictions? Just sit and wait and keep rescheduling until it cools off? Will the military allow you to keep rescheduling a flight on short notice, with them paying?

I could probably stay behind a short while to deal with quarantine, but doing so for months and months probably isn't in the cards.

I want to make sure I am fully thinking this through. I'm not super concerned with the expenses, though feel free to post about those if you want. It's mostly the feasibility of getting this done in our fairly short timeframe.

And yes, I've also considered waiting until we get to Japan. I've contacted a former student in Japan and asked her to look into the availability of the breed we want, as well as several other breeds we'd consider. So I am working that angle as well.

(As for rescuing in Japan, based on what I saw last time, the kinds of dogs we want--very large and a few other traits) are almost never available as they just aren't common in Japan. Few people there own large dogs. I would and will also consider rescuing in the States, but I know that no rescue group is going to give a dog to someone who is planning to move, so I'd either have to lie or not get an animal through them. I'd look at shelters as well, but based on my sister's experience looking for a similar dog from a shelter, the chances of me getting one a few months, and then having time to do all the vet stuff is slim to none. So this disclaimer is to let everyone know I prefer rescue animals, and would make every effort to get one, but I am looking at the puppy option as well simply because it might be the only realistic possibility.)
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

All your quarantine info looks right so you got that all set.

As for the pet travel embargo (the summer months), I believe the correct info is that they have to fly cargo, not excess baggage. It's more pricey as cargo but if they go as cargo, say through United PEtSafe Program (just used them), you get updates on them, you can track them through the flights, and United takes the reigns. You're not having to worry about them on layovers or anything else.

We just flew our two dogs and three cats from Guam to east coast (dogs into Charleston, SC and cats into Charlotte, NC I believe was the airport). My issues were different just because we had weather issues and then they were bumped several times from Guam but nearly all the big planes have the temperature control cargo cabins for them.

My only word to the wise, since you didn't say a breed, if it's a large dog, just be wary because the size of the crate can be tough to get on to certain planes. My 70lb mutt is luckily short enough that he was in a large kennel but anything over that you start fooling with which specific aircrafts can fit the crate on and then they have a max number of pets, too on top of certain types of kennels can fit. It's quite the puzzle
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KnittingGuamMama View Post
    All your quarantine info looks right so you got that all set.

As for the pet travel embargo (the summer months), I believe the correct info is that they have to fly cargo, not excess baggage. It's more pricey as cargo but if they go as cargo, say through United PEtSafe Program (just used them), you get updates on them, you can track them through the flights, and United takes the reigns. You're not having to worry about them on layovers or anything else.

We just flew our two dogs and three cats from Guam to east coast (dogs into Charleston, SC and cats into Charlotte, NC I believe was the airport). My issues were different just because we had weather issues and then they were bumped several times from Guam but nearly all the big planes have the temperature control cargo cabins for them.

My only word to the wise, since you didn't say a breed, if it's a large dog, just be wary because the size of the crate can be tough to get on to certain planes. My 70lb mutt is luckily short enough that he was in a large kennel but anything over that you start fooling with which specific aircrafts can fit the crate on and then they have a max number of pets, too on top of certain types of kennels can fit. It's quite the puzzle
    Thank you! With the PetSafe (and similar) programs, are they on the same plane as you?

Also, do you recall what the total weight of the "shipment" was, with your dog and the crate and supplies? I'm trying to figure out about how much weight to add on to the dog's weight. I think the PE has a limit of 150 pounds. I wondering what that translates to in terms of weight of the dog itself. Is a 110 pound dog going to weigh more than 150 pounds once he's crated, for example? If we get a puppy, that won't be much of an issue as he wouldn't yet weight that much, but with an older dog, it might start to be a concern.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Thank you! With the PetSafe (and similar) programs, are they on the same plane as you?

Also, do you recall what the total weight of the "shipment" was, with your dog and the crate and supplies? I'm trying to figure out about how much weight to add on to the dog's weight. I think the PE has a limit of 150 pounds. I wondering what that translates to in terms of weight of the dog itself. Is a 110 pound dog going to weigh more than 150 pounds once he's crated, for example? If we get a puppy, that won't be much of an issue as he wouldn't yet weight that much, but with an older dog, it might start to be a concern.
    If you book them on the same plane, they can be, but they can go separately as cargo, as well.

Charlie is 77lbs, I think the got him as, and the gross weight with him and crate was 101lbs, I believe. He was in a large kennel. That's with the food/water dishes, his bedding, and toy. They don't count the food you provide for weight.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post

Yes, it could be over 150, but I think the bigger concern is likely the measurement of the crates. The dog has to be able to stand normally without bowing it's head down and tips of ears can't touch the top (if ears stand up). My friend has a great dane and she fits the weight restrictions, but the crate measurement is WAY over the limit.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by BiggyBiggs View Post
    Yes, it could be over 150, but I think the bigger concern is likely the measurement of the crates. The dog has to be able to stand normally without bowing it's head down and tips of ears can't touch the top (if ears stand up). My friend has a great dane and she fits the weight restrictions, but the crate measurement is WAY over the limit.
    I was going to add something like this. Height is the real pain in the butt. Lots of the larger dogs need custom height extenders added to their crates for them to fit the way airlines need them to.
  7. Senior Member

We have pets flying here each week on the PE. So summer time shouldn't be an issue. When we were at Okinawa it was the same thing, they didnt cut off pet spots for the heat.

Your quarantine info looks correct to me. I brought 2 dogs to Japan and they both finished quarantine there with no issues. The weight does go by dog and kennel though.
  8. Senior Member
    The only airline I can recall that has a heat embargo is delta. I'm sure there are others, but that's the only one I ran into. PE doesn't have temp requirements, but if for some reason you can't get PE to Germany fly Lufthansa. They have air controlled cargo, and it was only 800$ for both of my very large dogs. They did great on the plane so I try to recommend it to everyone.

9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post
    The only airline I can recall that has a heat embargo is delta. I'm sure there are others, but that's the only one I ran into. PE doesn't have temp requirements, but if for some reason you can't get PE to Germany fly Lufthansa. They have air controlled cargo, and it was only 800$ for both of my very large dogs. They did great on the plane so I try to recommend it to everyone.
    This will be for the States to Japan. We won't have a dog for the Germany to US leg of the trip.
  10. Banned
    Banned
    Last edited by gunsgirl; 09-10-2014 at 07:22 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast