Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: My poor baby girl

1. Senior Member

My poor baby girl

Advertisements
    My sweet Lucy McGee has officially been hit by the curse of the doxie. She's been acting out of sorts off and on the last couple of days so we went to the vet today. She was quite stoic and wouldn't show any pain but it was clear to me that something is hurting her. So a few x rays later the vet found a couple of compressed discs in her spine. For now she's just on meds for the pain but there is a very good possibility that it'll get more serious in the future. We'll be spending the weekend building stairs for her for our bed and in a couple of weeks when she's hopefully feeling better she'll get spayed. We had agreed to breed her once with her vet's male because she really wanted to try for a dapple puppy like Lucy, but the extra weight of pregnancy would be very dangerous for her. Which is fine with me, I want her, not her puppies. So we'll have to make some adjustments and be more diligent about her jumping and stuff but I'm so thankful that she's OK for now and will hopefully be back to her old self soon.
  2. Senior Member
    poor pup I hope it doesn't get any worse!

3. Senior Member
    Poor thing
  4. Senior Member
    Me too! It could eventually paralyze her hind legs of course as soon as she had her meds tonight she wanted to play fetch and wrestle with Bowen. This isn't going to be easy
  5. Senior Member
    awww

6. Talk Whovian To Me.
    Talk Whovian To Me.

Poor baby
  7. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    Poor baby.
  8. Senior Member
    These meds are really helping! I wish she would be a little less rambunctious now that she's feeling better but it's so good to see her back to normal!
  9. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    What Medications is she on? Im a 22yr Licensed Vet Tech. Anything I can do to help I will. Sometimes suggestions from others can be helpful and most vets will appreciate any extra help or things they might not have heard of before. Im be happy to pass on anything that has helped me or my patients for you to discuss with your vet
    My Golden has compressed disks. She has had them for about 6 years now. She is going to be 18 in November!! Not sure that she will make that birthday but I wont go there as I will cry (my new thing lately...crying about everything)
    Anyhow, With my golden when she hurt her back .. here is what I did. 1st. Diet.. I put her on Hills J/D - Its a joint diet and made a huge difference. 2nd Fish oils. Omega 6 is super important for lubrication ITs also extremely helpful for skin, and organ support.
    3rd- MEdications.. Duralactin. Many vets have still not heard of this . Its natural. Its a supplement but it contains a natural product that helps turn off inflammatory cells. Any Inflamatorry cells. I have used it on my patients for years now for anything from skin conditions to chronic urinary tract infections and the big one.. arthritis. It makes a HUGE difference and its 100% safe. It has zero effects on the liver like so many other medications can have. I would for sure recommend talking to your vet about Duralactin. It gave my dog an extra FIVE years before we had to start her on the bigger more serious drugs for arthritis. She is on Methocarbamol and Tramadol for her back pain. And now Rimadyl for heavy duty inflamation.

Remember this is not something that will go away. This will be a lifelong issue for your little baby especially since you have a Doxi. It SUCKS to have to restrict them on things. I had to totally retrain my dog. No getting on the bed..the couch ..had to change the way we play with her. Even had to change the way we feed her! ( feed her elevated so she isnt hunched over while eating) At the same time though.. we have to let her be a dog. Restricting to much can drastically affect their quality of life and if you do that too much then whats the point.

Hope this helps and let me know if you need anything