Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there a cure for dog separation anxiety?

1. Senior Member

Help Is there a cure for dog separation anxiety?

Advertisements
    One of my dogs gets separation anxiety when we go on trips and have people watch her. During our last big trip, she chewed a pretty big section of our leather sofa (and numerous other things). We used to crate her but she would destroy anything near the crate. She could even get to things that i thought there was no way she could reach (It's sort of a talent of hers). We have a big week-long trip coming up and I want to fix this problem of hers before we leave. So, does anyone have any tips on how to cure separation anxiety in dogs?

About my dog:
    She's 5 years old but acts like a puppy. She is extremely loyal and stays by our side when we're at home. And she'll wait by the door for DH until he gets home.
  2. Senior Member

Are the people watching her just coming in twice a day to feed her, or are they interacting, playing, exercising her too?

3. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

I don't have a quick fix but I have a dog who had separation anxiety when we adopted him ~10 months, and by 3 years old he had overcome those behaviors. It was a very slow process and I was a SAHW the entire time (so I could come/leave at planned time intervals), which is the only thing I think allowed us to achieve his recovery.
  4. cuz i'm wonderful
    cuz i'm wonderful
    There isn't a "cure" that wouldn't take a lot of time and training to reach. I'd probably board her. Not at a vets office in a small cage or something like that, I mean at a place where they have kennels and a place to run.
  5. Senior Member
    The people watching her will probably just let her out a few times. We can't really afford to board 2 large dogs. So, i was hoping there was a way to train her. We've done the exercise where you ignore them for the first few minutes of walking in the door so they'll learn to not get so exited when we come and go. It's worked a little but they still looked panicked every time we walk out the door. A neighbor recommended leaving a tv on might help.

6. Senior Member
    Leaving a TV on or music, and most importantly giving them something really fun to do. If this is only happening when you are gone on long trips though... it's pretty clear the problem is lack of exercise, interaction and boredom. Part of finding the money to go on a trip should also include taking care of your pets when you are gone.
  7. Senior Member
    If you can't afford to board your dogs and give them the care they need, you can't afford the trip. Can you cancel? Can you find a teen who wants to make some money by coming over once or twice a day and running with your dogs for at least 20 minutes? Better than nothing.

There are ways to fix most separation anxiety, but they are longer term training solutions. In addition to not making a fuss when you come home, don't make one when you leave, either. No special announcements or treats, or making a big deal of leaving.

For dogs that destroy, part of the answer is almost always that they need more exercise.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  8. cuz i'm wonderful
    cuz i'm wonderful
    Two large dogs and they're just showing up to feed and let them go potty?
  9. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    If you can't afford to board your dogs and give them the care they need, you can't afford the trip. Can you cancel? Can you find a teen who wants to make some money by coming over once or twice a day and running with your dogs for at least 20 minutes? Better than nothing.

There are ways to fix most separation anxiety, but they are longer term training solutions. In addition to not making a fuss when you come home, don't make one when you leave, either. No special announcements or treats, or making a big deal of leaving.

For dogs that destroy, part of the answer is almost always that they need more exercise.

10. Regular Member
    We have a black lab and she was given to us at 6 weeks old and she has/had really bad seperation anxiety. I feel your pain, Luna ate the whole bed rail off of our new cherry wood bed because it was close enough to her kennel The biggest thing we do when we leave is to make sure we put shirts that smell like us in her kennel with her and ensure that the people who watch her are people she knows. I also make sure that they play with her for at least an hour a day. It is amazing what a game of fetch or a good long walk will do for their anxiety.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast