Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Adam Ruins Everything: Why Your Breed Shouldn't Exist

1. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas

Adam Ruins Everything: Why Your Breed Shouldn't Exist

Advertisements
    Really funny video, but filled with truth. Dog breeds honestly shouldn't exist as they currently are. Many breeders dont care about health but 'breed standard', which sucks for the animals. Want a health(ier) dog? Get a mutt!

I Don't Care How Cute That Bulldog Is. We Have To Stop Making Them.
  2. Senior Member
    that was really interesting. "I made one with a super flat fucked up face! isn't it stupid?"
  3. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    that was really interesting. "I made one with a super flat fucked up face! isn't it stupid?"
    I showed it to MF and he haaaates pugs so he was like, 'THEY ARE SO STUPID'.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    I showed it to MF and he haaaates pugs so he was like, 'THEY ARE SO STUPID'.
    i didn't like that he's talking shit about goldens though. my bby is perfect in every way.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    That was an epic video.
  6. Senior Member

Mutts not always healthier, genetically, than purebred dogs - Los Angeles Times

I know, I know, I saw the same study being cited in an article that claimed Mutt's were healthier. POINT BEING, it just isn't true. Neither one is necessarily healthier than the other. FWIW, the hereditary diseases in certain breeds are being breed out of the lines (well at least attempting). Most responsible breeders do major health screenings on their dogs before breeding: heart, eyes, hips, hearing. If they aren't healthy..don't breed them. I have a hard time believing that mutts are healthier than than purebreds from responsible breeders.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for disagreeing
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Amanduh View Post

I know, I know, I saw the same study being cited in an article that claimed Mutt's were healthier. POINT BEING, it just isn't true. Neither one is necessarily healthier than the other. FWIW, the hereditary diseases in certain breeds are being breed out of the lines (well at least attempting). Most responsible breeders do major health screenings on their dogs before breeding: heart, eyes, hips, hearing. If they aren't healthy..don't breed them. I have a hard time believing that mutts are healthier than than purebreds from responsible breeders.

I mean, if anything you're probably gonna get flamed from all the eye rolling but whatever
  8. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Quote Originally Posted by Amanduh View Post

Yea, no. All dogs die eventually, but the fact that there are breed-related diseases show definitive proof that breeding dogs increases heritable diseases. Can any dog get dilated cardiomypathy (a specific type of heart disease)? Yes. But great danes are 14% times more likely to than any other dog, meaning that it is genetic to them. We have bred it into them. Only Cavaliers get chiari malformation. Doxies have a disk protrusion rate of 25%, while the general population (all other breeds AND mutss) have around a 4% rate, meaning it is breed related. This is not saying that mutts will live 17 years but your silly pure-bred dog will only live 14, but breed related diseases occur because we bred them in. All breed have their own diseases, and while mutts can have them, they occur either at 0% occurence rate or much lower.

A responsible breeder doesnt truly exist, because a responsible breeder would never allow breeding to occur. There are much much much MUCH more responsible breeders that do look for genetic diversity within the breed to minimize these genetic issues, but that doesnt eliminate the issues that breeds have, and that is unfair to the dog, ultimately, and for what? With fewer exceptions, dogs are no longer used for a function anymore- they are companions, so having a smooshed face isnt really needed, just wanted. Back to breeders, most 'breeders' arent responsible. Most dogs exist because people are backyard breeders, want their kids to 'experience birth', or are simply irresponsible and let their dog get knocked up by accident. Trust me. I see it every. day. And I know you a breeder so you hate me for saying this, but that doesnt make what I say, or what the veterinary community says, less legitimate.
  9. Senior Member
    Curious Vino, would you ever own a purebred dog?
  10. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    I should mention that some breeds (I know you do the beagle, and they are included in this) are overall healthier than others. But some breeds are just genetic nightmares and shouldn't exist.
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast