Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog teeth cleaning

1. Senior Member

Dog teeth cleaning

Advertisements
    Do you get it done? If so how often and how much does it typically cost?

I'm going to ask my vet about it at their next check-up, just wanted to see what you guys thought.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  2. "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    I have two dogs, one is 7 1/2 and the other is 2. I don't get the younger one dental cleanings just yet, the older one I started when I think he was 5 and do it yearly. I have him on the active prevention plan at banfield that includes a dental along with many other services which I believe is 34.99 a month (maybe 36.99). I found it to be the best value since it also includes yearly vaccines, free office visits, discounts on meds, etc. I have had some places quote me upwards of 2-300$ just for a cleaning.
  3. Senior Member

I use this for regular maintenance
    Clean Teeth Gel | Products | Tropiclean

I was skeptical, but it actually seems to cut down on the tarter build up between cleanings.

4. Senior Member
    We haven't started Sherlock yet, but I brush his teeth often and it makes a huge difference. When I worked at the vet clinic we'd have monthly specials and often it was a dental for $70, maybe your vet doessomething similar?
  5. Senior Member
    I don't get it done. Haven't on any dog we've had. I get those dental bones but that's about the extent and I've never had a vet tell me I should be doing more.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Ours both got 1 - Excellent on their dental exams so we haven't had to yet. They charge $40 for regular customers at a 2 or 3 on the dental exam but told us it's not something that they need yet. They charge a bit more for non-regular customers but they didn't give me that sheet of estimated prices.

We are lucky though and both of them let us brush their teeth with not much problem. They don't like a real toothbrush, but they don't give us any problem with the nubby-brush thing that you put over the end of your finger.
  7. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    A dental cleaning, a real one, is an anesthetic procedure where the dog is anesthetized, like for surgery, and the teeth are professionally cleaned. This can cost anywhere from $200 if the teeth have relatively small amounts of tartar and no teeth are broken/infected and they dont do x-rays, to up to $2000 if multiple teeth are broken and need to be removed. A good practice will take x-rays of the whole mouth, just like at the human dentist, because so much disease is below the gumline and we cannot see, so I would seriously side-eye any practice that does dentals without full x-rays, and doing and anesthitized procedure with xrays will probably be, minimum, $400-500 (its 600 where I live cuz its an expensive area). Also, some practices do dentals without anesthesia- NO! Dont do it. Its absolutely unethical practice and the AVMA s trying to ban it.
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    A dental cleaning, a real one, is an anesthetic procedure where the dog is anesthetized, like for surgery, and the teeth are professionally cleaned. This can cost anywhere from $200 if the teeth have relatively small amounts of tartar and no teeth are broken/infected and they dont do x-rays, to up to $2000 if multiple teeth are broken and need to be removed. A good practice will take x-rays of the whole mouth, just like at the human dentist, because so much disease is below the gumline and we cannot see, so I would seriously side-eye any practice that does dentals without full x-rays, and doing and anesthitized procedure with xrays will probably be, minimum, $400-500 (its 600 where I live cuz its an expensive area). Also, some practices do dentals without anesthesia- NO! Dont do it. Its absolutely unethical practice and the AVMA s trying to ban it.
    I didn't even think of that - what I was referring to at our vet is on the grooming service sheet and is just a glorified tooth-brushing.

Also, to add, we stay on top of ours just because of the breed they are and to have to deal with anesthesia required procedures as rarely as possible. So I'm not opposed to letting the vet do a glorified tooth brushing if it helps keep their mouth healthy.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    Holy crap that's expensive. Maybe it varies area to area, but at the vet I worked at it was $140 regularly and $70 during their "dental discount months". The price would go up for teeth pulled, but I don't think super crazy drastically, I don't remember the teeth pulling price.
  10. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Quote Originally Posted by BiggyBiggs View Post
    Holy crap that's expensive. Maybe it varies area to area, but at the vet I worked at it was $140 regularly and $70 during their "dental discount months". The price would go up for teeth pulled, but I don't think super crazy drastically, I don't remember the teeth pulling price.
    If its that cheap I doubt they had dental radiography (some practices don't), in which case you can miss dental disease like tooth root abscesses. I mean, the cost alone for anesthetic drugs, without putting in for time/machines etc... is usually at least $100, so I don't know how it is possible to charge $70 for a true dental if it is being done appropriately using appropriate pre-med drugs/anesthesia/antibiotics/pain meds (if needed), let alone then having to add the cost of time, radiographs etc.. Again, in cheaper areas I have seen dentals with radiographs be as cheap as like maybe $400, but cheaper than that- no. You cant anesthetize an animal for more than 20 minutes for less than $100 unless its a chihuahua.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast