Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Taking my kitties on an overseas PCS, can they ride in the crate together?

1. Regular Member

Taking my kitties on an overseas PCS, can they ride in the crate together?

Advertisements
    I want to start contact airlines about this, but unfortunately I can't get anything accomplished until we have hard copy orders, which is getting dangerously close to when we are supposed to move... ...

What I am wondering is if anyone has had an experience with moving their pet overseas, and if they knew if there was a possibility to keep them in the same crate. My kitties are brothers, and they have never been apart. One of them is particularly anxious-and whenever I take them to the vet he is very stressed when I put him in his crate separate from his brother. Since I've begun putting them in one large crate, he is much calmer. Flying is going to be stressful enough for the poor baby, but I feel like he would be much happier if he could snuggle with his brother.

If anyone has any other advice on flying with pets, let me know! We are going to the UK. Did you have a good or bad experience with a certain airline?
  2. Senior Member
    It is not usually allowed. The problem is you have no idea how they will react in a strange situation (the cargo cabin). When animals are scared, they may turn on whatever is closest to them and the airlines do not want the pets to get into a fight.

As far as the airlines go, you could just do preliminary research with the major US airlines that fly from where you are located to Heathrow. TMO is going to make your reservations, you won't get the chance to decide which airline you want to fly, and it will be a US airline. Now if you pay for them to go as unaccompanied baggage you could chose the airline, but flying them that way will be more expensive. Plus, you will have to figure out a way to get to Heathrow to pick them up.

That reminds me, normally when you PCS to RAF Lakenheath you take the special bus from Heathrow to the base, but pets are not allowed on the bus. You should call Outdoor Recreation to arrange for their shuttle if the cats will be traveling with you. http://www.48forcesupport.com/LinkCl...id=120&mid=575

Have you been to the DEFRA site already?
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    That wouldn't happen when we transfered overseas. Separate containers.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  4. Senior Member

If I remember correctly that is only allowed if the animals are 8weeks or less (yikes I hope never less). I personally wouldn't want them together just because they might attack each other out of fear.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Last edited by Volare.; 10-09-2014 at 08:11 AM.
  6. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Volare. View Post
    I believe they have to be kittens (babies under 6 months) to be able to fly together in the same crate.

If you're flying into the UK, check out DEFRA's pet travel scheme to understand the requirements for importing pets into the UK from a listed country (ie. United States) - https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad ; you must follow the requirements in order to avoid quarantine.

Check out United's pet safe program, as they are an approved/authorized airline (Per DEFRA) to import pets into the UK. If you call them, they have lots of helpful information! PetSafe Program for Traveling with Pets | United Airlines, they are very experienced in transporting military family pets.

You don't really need orders to book your pet's flight, as pets are not paid for by the military on commercial/cargo flights. You can get it set up regardless of orders, however, just make sure you're aware of the cancellation policies, etc.

I was definitely way off on the ages lol!

I just talked to DH and he said 1 has to be under 6 months. But the animals have to be the same breed and everything. So you could have 2 Siamese cats 1 2yrs old and the other under 6 months and they can fly together. So if yours are brothers over 6 months they cannot fly in the same kennel.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sushi View Post
    I just talked to DH and he said 1 has to be under 6 months. But the animals have to be the same breed and everything. So you could have 2 Siamese cats 1 2yrs old and the other under 6 months and they can fly together. So if yours are brothers over 6 months they cannot fly in the same kennel.
    What airline has the policy you stated?
  8. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    What airline has the policy you stated?
    For the Patriot Express, I've never heard the rule before but its his job so he's the one I always ask.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sushi View Post
    For the Patriot Express, I've never heard the rule before but its his job so he's the one I always ask.
    Thanks. The OP has to fly commercial, and they may be even stricter.