Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lethargy after Boarding?

1. 1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey

Lethargy after Boarding?

Advertisements
    We went of out town for the weekend and had Danny stay at a boarding place. When we went to pick him up yesterday, he looked happy, healthy excited and full of energy.

He hopped into the car, and was ready to go home. When we got home, he did his usual trotting around the house to see everything was in order and surveyed his backyard kingdom as per usual.

He's had his Bordatella booster and all of his shots w/o fail. We even had him checked out by the vet two days before we left for a regular checkup. He's an old man (11 yrs), but everyone always remarks how his health and vitality are awesome for his age.

Typically when we board him, he comes home with a cough for a few days, maybe a week-- always. Different states, different pet resorts, doesn't matter... I noticed a little "cough" - which didn't particularly concern me b/c my dog is the kid who goes to the sleepover and gets sick.

What is concerning me now though is that today he is completely and utterly lethargic. I mean, he got up to go outside and ate breakfast, and has been drinking his water (maybe extra) - but this dog is completely wiped out.

He even "looks" like he's not feeling well. Which I have no scientific evidence to support other than that I know my fur baby and something is wrong. (Please tell me I don't sound nuts). I mean, I went into the kitchen to make breakfast and did not have a fuzzy shadow following me.

How long before I take him to the vet?

www.SnarkyFit.com
  2. The name says it all!
    The name says it all!

Personally I'd call to see when they could see him right away. You know your fur baby and he's not acting right. Something is wrong.

DH: Thank you. ME: For what, babe? DH: For being you.

3. Senior Member
    I don't think you're nuts and I would call the vet right away. I had a dog who was fine one moment and suddenly became lethargic and it turned out she had heat exhaustion. It wasn't even that hot. IV fluids had her okay very quickly but I wouldn't delay.
  4. Senior Member
    I would call asap if he was acting normal when you picked him up. That could mean he is sick and not just worn out.

I hope he is ok!
  5. Senior Member
    One of our Aussies has issues with boarding. Last time we boarded her was two summers ago and she came home quite literally depressed. It took her two full weeks to become herself again. If you see signs of illness I'd get him looked at, otherwise, since pup is eating and drinking and going to the bathroom, I'd just give him extra lovins for now.

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - President Ronald Reagan
  6. Senior Member
    My personal opinion would be to watch him like a hawk for 1 more day and take him in tomorrow if he is still acting weird (or if he develops symptoms). Boarding is very very stressful and can really wipe them out, though it shouldn't last for more than about 1 full day.

All that said, I don't see him in person or know him, so your best bet is to go with your gut.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I'd take him in, back in the day we once had a vet who boarded but drugged up the animals to keep them "calm". They were out of it for a day or so.
  8. Senior Member
    My vet always says that it isn't abnormal for dogs to be lethargic after being boarded. as long as he is eating and drinking like going outside to potty like normal I'd watch him for the day.
    My 11yr old old man is the same way.

Is this a new boarding facility? It was a holiday weekend so their are more dogs in the kennel and maybe more barking and less sleep for him.

That being said, it is your dog and you do what you feel is best.
  9. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    If he is drinking more water than normal, I am concerned. When he is asleep (and has been for 20 minutes), check his resting heart rate. To do that, count how many breaths he takes in 30 second, and then double that to find out how many in a minute. Remember, he needs to be asleep and resting or this does not count. If his resting resp rate is above 40, go to a vet today. Feel his abdomen, especially his cranial abdomen. Does he tense up when you move cranially? Does he yelp out? If so, vet today. If his resp rate is normal (below 40), and all else is normal, watch him for another day or so, and if he still isnt back to normal, then I would go to a vet.
  10. 1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    If he is drinking more water than normal, I am concerned. When he is asleep (and has been for 20 minutes), check his resting heart rate. To do that, count how many breaths he takes in 30 second, and then double that to find out how many in a minute. Remember, he needs to be asleep and resting or this does not count. If his resting resp rate is above 40, go to a vet today. Feel his abdomen, especially his cranial abdomen. Does he tense up when you move cranially? Does he yelp out? If so, vet today. If his resp rate is normal (below 40), and all else is normal, watch him for another day or so, and if he still isnt back to normal, then I would go to a vet.

I actually measured his water starting this morning, and while yesterday evening when we got home, he practically sucked down a whole bowl-- today seems to be no more than average.

No reaction on the cranial abdomen -- no tensing or yelping. I mean, he's pretty docile anyway if its someone he trusts. So I'm assuming I would've felt something. He turned around and licked my nose.

He's up and walking around and let me brush him earlier (which he loves).

So maybe I was a tad early on the furbaby mom freakout

I'll do the heart rate thing when he's napping later. Just to be safe.

I also had DH bring down the humidifier and put some lavender and eucalyptus oil in the little diffuser to help him kick the cough. And I may or may not have made some chicken soup (broth with some boiled chicken/carrots; sans garlic & onion) so he can have a little with his dinner b/c I'm ridiculous. When he got really sick one time, the vet told me to make some chicken broth and carrots for him to soften his food, so I figured it can't hurt this time.

He's getting older and I think I'm just getting more and more sensitive about his health. I know he won't live forever, but I am going to be beyond destroyed when he goes.

www.SnarkyFit.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast