Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Bed Bugs & Pets

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Grumpy Bed Bugs & Pets

Advertisements
    So we have bed bugs thanks to the upstairs neighbors though I can't prove it. An exterminator is coming asap & I'm just wondering if anyone has been through this? I'm putting our cat into a cat-boarding place when the extermination occurs and leaving her there until it is safe for her to come home. I might have to give her a shower/bath cause I don't want them to hitch a ride on her. DH & I have done everything to control the situation until pest control arrives. We have washed & dried everything on the hottest setting in our dryer. Lily doesn't seem to be showing any signs that they're biting her, hopefully that stays that way.

Any advice or well wishes would be great, thank you!
    "You think you know what you're looking for, till what you're looking for finds you."
  2. Senior Member
    I believe it is rubbing alcohol kills them. Good luck. I truly feel for you. They can be extremely hard to get rid of.

3. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    My old apartment had bed bugs, ewww. I bitched and complained to the main office until they sent someone to take care of it.

I have always put a protective cover on my mattress, I started in college and never stopped. You can get them in Target/Walmart/Big Lots and they're usually not more than $30-40 depending on your mattress size. I don't know why but the thought of bugs in my mattress just creeps me out and I don't want to have to throw it away!
  4. Senior Member
    Sometimes you have to get new mattresses.
    Just keep that in mind.

A family member of DH had the same issue and they had to get rid of theirs.
  5. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

and

I'm not sure how to tell/what to do for the pets. One of my biggest fears is DH bringing home bed bugs from all his TDY hotel stays
  6. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Why are you blaming your upstairs neighbors?

life's a party, rock your body
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsjennyy View Post
    Why are you blaming your upstairs neighbors?
    They had bed bugs at their previous apt and that's why they moved upstairs. That being said, when I asked them if they'd seen any bed bugs etc, they went,"Oh, we thought we had it under control, I guess it's spreading downstairs"

Of course there is no way to prove it, there is still the chance that DH & I got it from being somewhere with bed bugs.

Ps: I'm not being angry at them & saying that they have to pay for it, DH is actually paying for the whole place to be exterminated, then we'll figure out the reimbursement part later. I'm just angry at the bedbugs.
    "You think you know what you're looking for, till what you're looking for finds you."
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    My old apartment had bed bugs, ewww. I bitched and complained to the main office until they sent someone to take care of it.

I have always put a protective cover on my mattress, I started in college and never stopped. You can get them in Target/Walmart/Big Lots and they're usually not more than $30-40 depending on your mattress size. I don't know why but the thought of bugs in my mattress just creeps me out and I don't want to have to throw it away!
    Thank you. I shall get one after the place is treated.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersaurus-Rex View Post
    Sometimes you have to get new mattresses.
    Just keep that in mind.

A family member of DH had the same issue and they had to get rid of theirs.
    I am fine with getting a new mattress. In fact, I told DH that I am cool with burning all of our clothes and furniture (with the exception of my wedding gown). DH is not ok with it, and of course, doing so would be illegal. I'm pretty sure backyard bonfire is not allowed here. At this point, I just want the blood suckers gone.