Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Ruh roh

  1. Senior Member
    Andie's Avatar
    Andie is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,747
    #1

    Ruh roh

    Advertisements
    So my parents had my dog today since I worked and they decided to take him to my aunts for fireworks/bbq fun. Well, I guess my aunt was doing some kind of acid wash for her pool and guess who decided to take a swim? :/ They pulled him out right quick and hosed him down and he's acting fine (according to them) so... How worried should I be? Just keep a close eye on him over the next couple days or call the vet to see what they say?? What do y'all think?
  2. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Tojai's Avatar
    Tojai is offline
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    St. Pete FL
    Posts
    30,026


    #2
    Hmm I would ask her if they have the packaging that the chemicals come in, there might be instructions on what to do if pets are exposed to it, or maybe they can tell you the brand name and you can google it for more information?

    You could also call your e-vet and see what they say, maybe they have some tips.

    I hope the dog is ok! to you both
  3. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    [his] lobster's Avatar
    [his] lobster is offline
    Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    8,737

    #3
    Like..........a shock treatment or like muriatic acid?

    My dogs tend to be fine with the pool (they drink it more than I'd like), but I'd be a bit more nervous if it was muriatic acid. It also might depend for me how much, the # of gallons in the pool, etc...
  4. Senior Member
    Andie's Avatar
    Andie is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,747
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by [his] lobster View Post
    Like..........a shock treatment or like muriatic acid?

    My dogs tend to be fine with the pool (they drink it more than I'd like), but I'd be a bit more nervous if it was muriatic acid. It also might depend for me how much, the # of gallons in the pool, etc...
    I have no idea. I just got a text saying "your dog fell in acid water." And when I called my parents they had already left my aunt's... I'll text my cousin back and see if he knows what they were treating the water with so I can look it up online and at least get an idea what I'm working with.
  5. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    [his] lobster's Avatar
    [his] lobster is offline
    Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    8,737

    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post
    I have no idea. I just got a text saying "your dog fell in acid water." And when I called my parents they had already left my aunt's... I'll text my cousin back and see if he knows what they were treating the water with so I can look it up online and at least get an idea what I'm working with.
    Okay yea, I'd definitely ask. I still don't know exactly what proper protocol would be but shock treatment is like just a lot of chlorine at once, and is not that infrequent to do especially if your filter/s are older, dirty, a haboob came through, you have some greenness, etc... but actual acid treatment is not something you do regularly at all (we haven't done it yet and this is our third year with our pool). I will say I etched our patio with muriatic acid, and I would think you would be able to hear or see pain/reaction if it were bothering your dog. It burned through the concrete really fast (although not diluted with much water). Dogs are good with pain, but I'd think an acid bath would at least be cause for excessive licking/pacing if not straight up whining.
  6. Senior Member
    sweetsourcandii's Avatar
    sweetsourcandii is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,376
    #6
    Just to play things safe, it couldn't hurt just to call your vet & double check.
  7. my kitchen is for dancing
    NoraAnna's Avatar
    NoraAnna is offline
    my kitchen is for dancing
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Ft. Belvoir
    Posts
    1,061
    #7
    I would call them and asked with what they actually cleaned the pool and then call the vet and ask. It doesnt hurt to double check.
    Getting used to the new lifestyle far away from home and leaving my fear behind each day a little more.
  8. Senior Member
    Katarina's Avatar
    Katarina is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,506
    #8
    It seems that you already got the advice... But poor puppy I want to give him a hug
  9. Senior Member
    Andie's Avatar
    Andie is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,747
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by [his] lobster View Post
    Okay yea, I'd definitely ask. I still don't know exactly what proper protocol would be but shock treatment is like just a lot of chlorine at once, and is not that infrequent to do especially if your filter/s are older, dirty, a haboob came through, you have some greenness, etc... but actual acid treatment is not something you do regularly at all (we haven't done it yet and this is our third year with our pool). I will say I etched our patio with muriatic acid, and I would think you would be able to hear or see pain/reaction if it were bothering your dog. It burned through the concrete really fast (although not diluted with much water). Dogs are good with pain, but I'd think an acid bath would at least be cause for excessive licking/pacing if not straight up whining.
    Yeah I ended up asking and it was just a shock treatment and since he seemed fine and they washed him off good I decided not to freak out... But way to make me nervous, family.
  10. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    [his] lobster's Avatar
    [his] lobster is offline
    Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    8,737

    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post
    Yeah I ended up asking and it was just a shock treatment and since he seemed fine and they washed him off good I decided not to freak out... But way to make me nervous, family.
    Oh that's good! I wouldn't worry about it then. I just read the back of our shock and it says it's safe to swim after 15 minutes ( not sure I would, but that's what it says). I'd be super grumpy about the scare though! Glad the pup is alright
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •