Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Nexguard

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Nexguard

Advertisements
    Anyone use this for their dog(s)? If so, did you see any adverse reactions?
    DD is using Z for 4-H this year, so I have basically put her in charge of all things Z and, as a result, she came home from work (vet clinic) last night with a Nexguard chewable to give Z. For starters, our normally "give me that treat" dog wanted NOTHING to do with taking this "tasty chewable tablet". We tried using good old fashioned "pilling" approach - but with Z's reluctance to take it coupled with the nature of this tablet making it rather badly made for such an approach that was a no-go. I chopped it into smaller pieces and wrapped one in turkey, one in cheese - no go. I took a couple of small pieces and put them on a spoon under a scoop of canned cat food - no go. We tried peanut butter on them - nope. This dog wanted NOTHING to do with taking this tablet. Finally we took the small pieces, mixed them with the bit of peanut butter and just smeared that on her tongue - and she all but had to swallow it. She then spent the next two hours in a hard pout....looking like the most abused dog in the history of the world.
    Well, maybe we should have listened to her - because after the hours of hard pouting came hours of one sick pupster. DD called at about noon to say that she FINALLY seemed to be feeling better.
    Needless to say we won't be using Nexguard again - just curious if anyone else has seen bad reactions to or a reluctance to take it in their dog. Honestly, I wouldn't have done it to begin with because having taken a look at the most common reactions the other lovely side effect seems to be dry/itchy skin - which is already a battle we fight with Z and the last thing we need to be making worse, especially days before showing
  2. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

I just recently saw an add for it and was curious. I really want to try a non topical anti flea for my dogs but for some reason even the add for this made my weird senses tingle I think my mind jumped because frontline made it, and I was imaging the topical front line poured into a treat, which obviously is not what they did, just what my mind went to when I saw it

I hope Z is feeling better now! Sometimes they just know.
  3. Senior Member
    I've been using Nexgard for a few months and haven't had any reactions. It's made from the same company as heartgard and my dogs eat both like treats. Now trifexis is a different story for us. Both my dogs will vomit up Trifexis and I have to pill them to get them to eat it. One of my dogs has a severe allergy to fleas and we haven't had any problem since starting but since it made your pup sick I'd definitely try different options!
  4. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    We have had really good reactions with it at work. Most dogs like it. Z is clearly too smart.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    We have had really good reactions with it at work. Most dogs like it. Z is clearly too smart.
    I was going to go with drama queen