Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Petsmart teeth brushing/grooming?

1. Senior Member

Petsmart teeth brushing/grooming?

Advertisements
    I'm taking Finn to petsmart to get groomed on Thursday and they also offer teeth brushing. Has anybody had this done before? I do brush his teeth but he's difficult so I know I probably don't do a great job. Would they probably do a better job?

Also has anybody had their dog groomed there? I'd honestly rather take him to a private groomer but the lady I bring my yorkie to is no longer doing big dogs and I can't find anybody but petsmart that will do a golden retriever.
  2. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Dont bother getting his teeth brushed. Brushing only works if it is done regularly, and they will (or I guess I need to say *should*) do no more than you can do it home. It isnt like a veterinary dental which is done with anesthetic.
  3. Banned
    Banned
    Ugh I hate Petsmart grooming with a passion. If the teeth brushing is included, I'd do it, but if you have to pay extra, I probably wouldn't since you already brush his teeth anyway. They don't do anything you don't do at home. Unless things have changed in the last few years.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    No advice on whether to do it or not, but what trouble is Finn giving you when you try to do it? Tank gave us problems when we tried with the doggie toothbrush, he thought it was a toy and wanted to bite it and play with it and run around. Our vet gave us this weird tube-like thing that you slip over your finger that has the brush on it and he loves it and sits still for it. You've probably tried that but I had never heard of them before.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    Dont bother getting his teeth brushed. Brushing only works if it is done regularly, and they will (or I guess I need to say *should*) do no more than you can do it home. It isnt like a veterinary dental which is done with anesthetic.
    Yeah I guess I just figured they'd get to spots I can't since I assume they know what they're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Reagan View Post
    Ugh I hate Petsmart grooming with a passion. If the teeth brushing is included, I'd do it, but if you have to pay extra, I probably wouldn't since you already brush his teeth anyway. They don't do anything you don't do at home. Unless things have changed in the last few years.
    What's wrong with their grooming?
  6. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Yeah I guess I just figured they'd get to spots I can't since I assume they know what they're doing.
    They can get to the spots you cant, however, if those spots arent being brushed 2-3+ times a week, thats like trying to rub the brick off a building with a toothbrush. Just pointless. Dont waste your money.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    No advice on whether to do it or not, but what trouble is Finn giving you when you try to do it? Tank gave us problems when we tried with the doggie toothbrush, he thought it was a toy and wanted to bite it and play with it and run around. Our vet gave us this weird tube-like thing that you slip over your finger that has the brush on it and he loves it and sits still for it. You've probably tried that but I had never heard of them before.
    He just hates it and makes it really difficult. I've used a toothbrush and the little finger thing but he just doesn't like being poked around in the mouth. I've been doing it pretty regularly since he was 8 weeks old so it's not that he isn't used to it, he just moves his head around and makes it really hard to brush them thoroughly.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    They can get to the spots you cant, however, if those spots arent being brushed 2-3+ times a week, thats like trying to rub the brick off a building with a toothbrush. Just pointless. Dont waste your money.
    Yeah, that's a good point. Nvm I guess

Btw do you have any recommendations for things to keep his teeth clean? I know about greenies and other teeth cleaning treats but there's a risk of intestinal blockage and shit so they don't really seem worth it. But I also don't know what I'm talking about, so.
  9. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post

What's wrong with their grooming?
    I just had bad experience at the one near me. I dropped my Golden off at 8am one time and they didn't call me until 4 to pick him up. They trimmed wayyy too much off his feathers, I specifically told them I didn't want that much taken off and they just butchered it. I also didn't like the turnover rate at ours, he never got the same groomer on a regular basis. He now goes to a private grommer who knows him and me, and exactly what I want, and knows not to blow dry his head (which he hates ). I hope you have a better experience though.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reagan View Post
    I just had bad experience at the one near me. I dropped my Golden off at 8am one time and they didn't call me until 4 to pick him up. They trimmed wayyy too much off his feathers, I specifically told them I didn't want that much taken off and they just butchered it. I also didn't like the turnover rate at ours, he never got the same groomer on a regular basis. He now goes to a private grommer who knows him and me, and exactly what I want, and knows not to blow dry his head (which he hates ). I hope you have a better experience though.
    Aww I hope so too the lady I made the appointment with is the one who will be grooming him and she seemed nice enough on the phone, I guess we'll see. I don't live here anymore so it's not like he'll be subjected to it twice if it's awful lol. He's just a damn mess right now.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast