Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breed Interview

1. Senior Member

Breed Interview

Advertisements
    we found some apartments we're interested in, and for German Shepherds they require an in person interview with the dog. How do I set my dog up for success? She definitely has stranger danger, she's skittish sometimes. When new people come over we always have them introduce themselves with treats, have them let dixie come to them, ect. Often she DOES bark, and because she's big she's loud but it's not out of aggression. Once she's comfortable with someone she's very friendly. I feel like taking my dog into a strange environment to meet a stranger, and that experience deciding if she's 'vicious' or not isn't very fair What can I do? bring treats with me? And I know I'll be stressed out which dixie will feed off. It's making me very nervous.

2. Senior Member
    I've never had to do one of those, but since you know your dog and her nervous habits, be prepared for it and if it were me - I'd let the folks know about it. I have a hound dog (Dixie as well) who is protective and will NOT stop barking if folks come in the house. We figured out that if she meets them outside first and they walk her in on the leash, she is fine. She isn't growling or mean, but she is protective of her house and her family.

Did they tell you what to expect in the interview?
  3. Senior Member
    Not yet, they aren't open in the states yet (15 minutes) so we'll call when they open to talk to them about it. I don't want to give them a negative impression at all, so how can I explain my dogs habits? Do I say that she's skittish? That she barks a lot? barking a lot is ideal for apartment living so they probably wouldn't like that

4. Breathe and chill
    Breathe and chill
    Blog Entries

I would just state her habits. Lucy is a barker and can sound/look super intimidating too. She's all talk and wouldn't hurt a fly, but if you're not familiar with her habits...you'd be like "shit! That dog is gonna eat me!"

I would just be very up front and matter of fact with them. Be able to explain what precautions and steps your are/are willin to make to address her "problem" behaviors. Good luck!
  5. Senior Member
    I would not say she's skittish. I wouldn't say anything negative. Instead, I would go into the appointment acting totally confident. Be matter of fact about it. "This is Dixie, our dog. WHen Dixie meets new people, we introduce them like this. Here's a treat. We have the new person call Dixie to them, and let her come on her own, then give her the treat. This is the routine we go through with any new people to whom she's introduced."

That will make it look like you have a careful, controlled plan for your dog. Not only will that make you look better to the landlord, but hopefully it will make you feel more confident and then translate that confidence to Dixie.

For the barking, I wouldn't mention it. I think all you can do there is hope for the best. I think any mention of barking will probably rule you out. DO whatever you can think of to prevent her from parking or to minimize it. If she has a favorite toy, bring that, and toss it to her if and when she barks, for example, if you think she'd stop barking in order to chew on it. When you do so, be casual and act as though it is perfectly normal, and that this is part of your regular routine, not that you are doing something special for the interview.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    I would not say she's skittish. I wouldn't say anything negative. Instead, I would go into the appointment acting totally confident. Be matter of fact about it. "This is Dixie, our dog. WHen Fido meets new people, we introduce them like this. Here's a treat. We have the new person call Dixie to them, and let her come on her own, then give her the treat. This is the routine we go through with any new people to whom she's introduced."

That will make it look like you have a careful, controlled plan for your dog. Not only will that make you look better to the landlord, but hopefully it will make you feel more confident and then translate that confidence to Dixie.

For the barking, I wouldn't mention it. I think all you can do there is hope for the best. I think any mention of barking will probably rule you out. DO whatever you can think of to prevent her from parking or to minimize it. If she has a favorite toy, bring that, and toss it to her if and when she barks, for example, if you think she'd stop barking in order to chew on it. When you do so, be casual and act as though it is perfectly normal, and that this is part of your regular routine, not that you are doing something special for the interview.
    Villanelle - reading my mind. I wouldn't put a negative light on her at all, but just explain what you do when folks come to your home. Great advice!
  7. cuz i'm wonderful
    cuz i'm wonderful
    I would explain that she's in training, and this is what you do when she meets new people, and how she reacts sometimes. The fact that she's in training shows you're proactive and responsible with your dog.

As an aside, my dog was/is afraid of children right now (she's six months, she got chased by a kid and now they make her nervous) and the trainers said that it's better that you give them a bunch of treats when they're near the new person instead of having the thing they're afraid of give them treats, because then they associate the new person with treats instead of you, and that can cause problems in the future, and even aggression because the person is supposed to have food and doesn't. It's also just easier than handing every person to come in treats.
  8. Senior Member
    Exercise her a lot that day and bring treats. That way she will be too tired to be on guard, and if you do some tricks before the interview she will believe she's still in the "I'm going to get a reward for 'sit'" mindset.

I saw jackets (don't know actual name, just glimpsed them over) in PetsMart yesterday that are believed to reduce stress and anxiety in a dog of any size.
    Could be a marketting tool, or it may actually work.

But, I would just simply tire her out. Worked for me twice for the interview and when I was introducing Summer to a dog I was going to babysit for awhile.
  9. Senior Member
    Great advice thank you. We actually called the lady, we're preapproved for the apartment, so she was excited to talk to us. She actually has a gsd herself and that makes me feel better. I feel like large dog owners are more understanding. My husband told her on the phone of our process when she greets strangers, and Lindsey (the agent) was responsive, so I'm feeling better about it! His mom is there now looking at the unit we'd be in. Tiring her out is a good idea, though difficult I take her on 7 mile walks and she's still ready to go! I might wear myself out trying to make her tired lol but I'll definitely try.

10. Senior Member
    Is there a dog park near where you'll be? I know some aren't fond of dog parks (understandably) but I've found it is the *only* way to truly tire out my dogs. They love it.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast