Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: barn cats

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

barn cats

Advertisements
    Soo my barn came with cats. I have spotted 3 so far and was told they are use to eating on the porch. What food do you feed outside cats?

Also, if I get them in a live trap, will a vet spay/neuter them, even though they are feral?
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    There are TONS of spay/neuter clinics across the country that will alter feral cats - and the advantage of a clinic over a vet office is cost as they are specialized specifically to alteration and are designed to be low cost clinics - definitely get them fixed or you'll have hundreds of cats before you know it. I would just get some good kibble and feed them that - I know there is the train of thought of don't feed the barn cats because they won't hunt, but I have always supplemented and never had a rodent issue..
  3. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Check with your local humane society about a fix-and-release program. Most offer it much cheaper than a regular vet.

I grew up with farm cats and my dad always just bought giant bags of dry food and fed them once a day. We had buckets of water for them, as well as carpet-lined plywood cat houses since we didn't actually have a barn for them to hide in.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    If you PM me your general area in MO I will gladly help you find the nearby clinics
  5. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    You feed them cat food. As for will a vet spay/neuter them, yes, however they will need the appropriate bloodwork/hospitalization as required by your vet. If you have any large animals (cows/horses/alpacas/goats) see if that vet will do it. Farm vets will often spay/neuter barn cats, but less care will be put into them so yes, they are more likely to get sick/have complications, but the price is cheaper. I would recommend doing it though so you dont end up with 20 barn cats. The local humane society may do trap-neuter-release as well.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

The previous owners said there is a male a few houses up that kept coming down and makin babies. They would just catch the kittens and give them away.

I will look into clinics for them.

Think wet or dry food for them? I've heard it recommended to do both for inside cats, so they get extra moisture. Is that a concern with outdoors cats?
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Thanks for all the info! I've never really had cats, especially not feral ones lol
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chikatoka View Post
    The previous owners said there is a male a few houses up that kept coming down and makin babies. They would just catch the kittens and give them away.

I will look into clinics for them.

Think wet or dry food for them? I've heard it recommended to do both for inside cats, so they get extra moisture. Is that a concern with outdoors cats?
    I'd do dry. Cheaper and it doesn't spoil.
  9. Navy Wife Extraordinaire
    Navy Wife Extraordinaire

We fed our outdoor cats a cheap dry food.
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Darn it. I found kittens in the barn toay. I guess it just became a priority to get these cats fixed
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast