Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Male vs. Female dogs

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Male vs. Female dogs

Advertisements
    Are your dogs male or female? What do you find the benefit/drawbacks to be, if any? I've only had male dogs (pugs) and DH has had female dogs. My MIL is insisting that male dogs (hunting dogs, specifically) will pee in the house to mark their territory even if they are fixed. I know her male dog has accidents in the house but nothing I'm reading says that's a common male issue.

Peeing aside, I'm just curious what you have and why. If you want to include a picture no one is stopping you!
  2. Eye
    Master Caster
    Master Caster
    Blog Entries
    I've had both male and female dogs and they were all wonderful. Well, with the exception of my asshole Charlie dog. He's just well. Special.

No dog will pee in the house if they are well trained. Unless there is an underlying issue like they are sick or something else is wrong. Here is a pic of Charlie.

And no. I have NO idea what the hell that is in his mouth. He was not permitted to bring it in the house. He may be a hunting dog, but he does NOT pee in the house. lmao
  3. Eye
    Master Caster
    Master Caster
    Blog Entries
    And this is what a guard dog looks like. Also male. This is BJ doing what he does best.

4. Regular Member
    As long as a dog is neutered it shouldn't pee in your house to mark territory. The only way they would do that is if they were neutered later on in life, and it was already a learned behavior as sometimes neutering them doesn't resolve that issue if they've already started doing it. Or if they have a behavioral problem.
    I think male cats are nicer than female cats, but as far as dogs go I don't know that I've ever really noticed a difference.
  5. Talk Whovian To Me.
    Talk Whovian To Me.

I've always had female pets. Not sure why, just turned out that way!
  6. Senior Member
    Summer is female, fixed, mixed, and still has accidents (potty trained, she just gets anxious during storms, or gets sick).

I don't think there are any gender drawbacks, I could understand breed drawbacks though. Also if there are abnormals in that breed too (like lack of pigmentation).
    Only way I could see gender playing a role is according to that dog's personality on whether he (or she) will tolerate that of the same gender.
    There is a dog breed I have my eye on, but DH insists if possible, to get a female.
    Same sex aggression is common in this breed, although he is bias about females being better (grew up with F-beagles, not sure if they have SSA issues) I greatly consider male.
  7. Senior Member
    My dog is a male. We always had male dogs when I was growing up and so that's basically the route that I took. Also, when I picked him out from his litter, the other puppy that I was interested in was already taken (female puppy). If she hadn't already been selected by another buyer, I definitely would have ended up with a female dog because she was so incredibly sweet!
  8. Eye
    Master Caster
    Master Caster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AmberRenee View Post
    As long as a dog is neutered it shouldn't pee in your house to mark territory. The only way they would do that is if they were neutered later on in life, and it was already a learned behavior as sometimes neutering them doesn't resolve that issue if they've already started doing it. Or if they have a behavioral problem.
    I think male cats are nicer than female cats, but as far as dogs go I don't know that I've ever really noticed a difference.
    I really don't believe that is true. All my male dogs are neutered and they still mark.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    We have both - Jethro and Bogey are male, Z is female. My entire life we have always just had whichever gender(s) happened to be the dog that fit our family at the time (or that was dumped on us - more often the case). From a housebreaking/marking standpoint, I have not had any issues with that which I would assign to a gender issue.
  10. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Currently, we have two of each. The males don't mark their territory.

I have found that the females have bonded with dh (dd included ) and the males with me. Weird.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast