Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4th of July

1. So lost and wandering.
    So lost and wandering.

4th of July

Advertisements
    Not sure what to do with our dog. He is a rescue and is scared of everything. Loud noises are the worst. We live in the country so there will be lots of people shooting them off at their own will. We will be going to a show though. At the show it will be louder and more up close, but we will be there to comfort him. Also there would be nowhere for him to hide if he wanted to. At home he could find a place to hide, but we would be gone all day and well into the dark when people are shooting them off. IT would be more in the distance, but we would not be there to comfort him at all.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Valerian root tablets, maybe?
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Either leave him at home and if you can't find someone to stay with him or visit him, then you need to.
    Worst case scenario, see whether your vet will prescribe something for him to keep him calm.
    I don't mean to be snide for this next part, but think it may come across that way.That being said:
    Ask yourself this...If you substituted "Child" for "Dog" what would your answer be to someone who asked this question. A pet is like your child, or should be, and requires the same sacrifice and commitment.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  4. Regular Member
    How old is your dog? You could try doing Benadryl for him, sometimes it makes them sleepy and is enough to take the edge off. I would do a trial run of Benadryl and see how it affects him. It goes by weight. It's 1mg/pound. If it doesn't help, you could try a Thunder Shirt. You could also try contacting your vet and seeing if they can prescribe anything for him. There are a few medications that can help with that!
  5. Regular Member
    Also, if he is that terrified of loud noises I definitely DO NOT think its a good idea to take him along with you where it would be louder with more people there. Yes you would be there and he would know you but it would be MUCH more scary for him. I'd leave him home in his comfort zone and try one of those things I mentioned above. But do trial runs before the actual day so you know how it's going to affect him while you're not home.
  6. Senior Member
    You could try a thunder shirt, it does absolutely nothing for my dog but I think most people have luck with them. I definitely wouldn't bring your dog though.

My dog is absolutely petrified of thunder, he breathes really heavy and he tries to be right on top of me. I can't lay down with him because he tries to lay on my face, he literally cannot get close enough. I finally just read that you should act normal when a dog is freaking out like that because when you try to calm them you're reinforcing for them that something is wrong. I tried that during our last thunderstorm and he just went to sleep. I mean it's only been one time but maybe you could try that in the future.
  7. So lost and wandering.
    So lost and wandering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Either leave him at home and if you can't find someone to stay with him or visit him, then you need to.
    Worst case scenario, see whether your vet will prescribe something for him to keep him calm.
    I don't mean to be snide for this next part, but think it may come across that way.That being said:
    Ask yourself this...If you substituted "Child" for "Dog" what would your answer be to someone who asked this question. A pet is like your child, or should be, and requires the same sacrifice and commitment.
    My youngest was scared of stuff like this. It took a while of taking her to events like this to get her to realize that it would be ok. Copper has been so badly abused he is scared of the jar of PB. The kids nerf dart guns that dont even make real noise, but shoot the foam bullets make him run and sit in my lap trying to hide in the couch cushions. We have only had him for 4 months so we are still working on getting him used to every day life.
  8. So lost and wandering.
    So lost and wandering.
    We are not sure how old he is as he was a rescue. They first estimated around 2. Then said he could be around 4. For sure an adult though. He is an American Staffordshire Terrier so very heavy and well built. Not light at all when he tries to sit in my lap or on my face when I am in bed. He has only heard thunder on tv and he growled at it. He is my big baby.
  9. Senior Member
    Please please please do not bring him with you, especially if the party will be outside. 4th of July and New Years are the #1 days of the year that pets run away because they are scared. They run FAR too because they keep running and running from the fireworks all over. Especially your dog being a large dog and new to you, imagine him completely losing his mind running and flinging himself and literally becoming uncontrollable. It happens, especially in already fearful dogs.

Another story, someone brought their dog to the base fireworks and it was so petrified it was panicking pooping ON nearby people. Needless to say, the dog was panicking and those people ruined everyone's holiday.
  10. Senior Member
    Personally, I would NOT bring him to the show. Yes, you would be there to comfort him. But, there's only so much comforting that you can actually do when an animal is under consistent and overwhelming stressors, you know? I also have a big dog who is scared of EVERYTHING. I would never in a million years take him to an area that I knew would be overwhelming for him. I view it as setting him up to fail. With a child, you can sit them down and explain that yes, it's loud and sometimes overwhelming, but that they are still safe. You cannot explain that to a dog and be able to reason with them (as much as I've tried with my big baby!).

Is he crate trained? A crate might give him a spot where he would feel safe and secure without you being there if you left him at home.

I also echo Guynavywife. If you have to cut your plans short, or schedule your day around checking on your dog midday so that he can stay home, or even going home to put him in his crate or a secure location prior to going to the show, then that is what you should do.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast