Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Indoor doggy exercise

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Indoor doggy exercise

Advertisements
    We aren't getting our doggy until August but I can't help but think ahead. It's a very active breed and I'm looking for exercise options during spells of bad weather.

Anyone here train your dog to use a treadmill? I've been reading but was wondering if anyone had any real life experience with it. There are a couple indoor dog parks I'm looking into also. What do you do to keep your dog active when your outdoor options become limited?
  2. Senior Member
    Get a good jacket and hardy shoes... we have a German Shepherd/Husky mix and would go mad if we stayed inside so we have to go out rain or shine (or snow) she loves when its rainy or snowy...(though now we have moved to the desert she won't get to experience rain or snow for a while!)
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittycat View Post
    Get a good jacket and hardy shoes... we have a German Shepherd/Husky mix and would go mad if we stayed inside so we have to go out rain or shine (or snow) she loves when its rainy or snowy...(though now we have moved to the desert she won't get to experience rain or snow for a while!)
    - we just go out and get on with it, keep a towel by the door for wiping off/down if they get particularly wet or muddy and have a ball doing it.
  4. Senior Member
    Tiring the dog's brain out can be almost as good as tiring the body. Teach them lots of tricks and practice commands inside. My dog loves hide and seek plus it's a good way to teach 'come'. Her favorite thing is to put the mail on the counter and fetch slippers. She feels so useful and it makes her so happy to be useful. A family friend has a border collie and was having trouble with keeping her busy so I told them to get her a backpack and she loves it. It puts her in 'work' mode and the active breeds like to work and be challenged more than just physically. It's the same as having kids, sometimes you have to be creative to keep them busy!
  5. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

We've done the treadmill with our smaller dog. In the Summer here it's impossible to go out as it's dangerous with the temperatures, not to mention even our dirt road burns their paws (found that out the hard way ). She loves the treadmill and when I'm on it, she stares at me and waits for her turn We started off with her on a leash, I stood in front of the treadmill holding the leash and had treats to entice her to focus on staying forward instead of turning around and sliding off. DH stood behind her and sort of held her until she got into the gait. He adjusted the speed as needed. Now I can put her on there without his assistance and no leash.

Our other dog doesn't like it much, but to be honest we haven't put a lot of time into getting him on there. He just doesn't seem to have as much interest and he (unlike girl dog) doesn't let the heat stop him from running in the grass yard so he still gets some exercise.

The other thing they love to occupy time with is "sniff". I basically hide treats (aka pieces of kibble) around the room, let them into the room and tell them to "sniff". They love it. It's hilarious because as soon as your say the word they start inhaling audibly This one I would be careful with, as it may teach bad habits depending on your dog and your house rules and expectations. I got the idea from someone who was in the beginning stages of training her dog to be a search and rescue pup but I just use it for fun. Our dogs don't chew or destroy things, so it's not a big deal to place a treat in a boot or under the corner of the rug but for other dogs, that might be confusing and make them think it's okay to mess with things that aren't theirs. I would just be careful and figure out if it will work for your dog or not.
  6. Senior Member
    play with them! The main reasons we won't go out are i'm sick, it's pouring, or it's too hot. Usually they can make it through the day with just a little play. They bug me a little bit more but it's just a day or two.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Kittycat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Grey Mare View Post
    - we just go out and get on with it, keep a towel by the door for wiping off/down if they get particularly wet or muddy and have a ball doing it.
    I do plan on trekking outside even if the weather sucks but I want to consider a few alternatives just to be able to change things up. This does remind me to get a good pair of boots! Definitely going to need a doggy cleaning station inside the door
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by she_lurks View Post
    Tiring the dog's brain out can be almost as good as tiring the body. Teach them lots of tricks and practice commands inside. My dog loves hide and seek plus it's a good way to teach 'come'. Her favorite thing is to put the mail on the counter and fetch slippers. She feels so useful and it makes her so happy to be useful. A family friend has a border collie and was having trouble with keeping her busy so I told them to get her a backpack and she loves it. It puts her in 'work' mode and the active breeds like to work and be challenged more than just physically. It's the same as having kids, sometimes you have to be creative to keep them busy!
    Putting the mail on the counter and fetching slippers, omg that's so cute I like the idea of a backpack too. I've heard over and over how understimulated dogs can get so out of control and I just want to do everything I can to develop a solid routine. Thanks for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by [his] lobster View Post
    We've done the treadmill with our smaller dog. In the Summer here it's impossible to go out as it's dangerous with the temperatures, not to mention even our dirt road burns their paws (found that out the hard way ). She loves the treadmill and when I'm on it, she stares at me and waits for her turn We started off with her on a leash, I stood in front of the treadmill holding the leash and had treats to entice her to focus on staying forward instead of turning around and sliding off. DH stood behind her and sort of held her until she got into the gait. He adjusted the speed as needed. Now I can put her on there without his assistance and no leash.

Our other dog doesn't like it much, but to be honest we haven't put a lot of time into getting him on there. He just doesn't seem to have as much interest and he (unlike girl dog) doesn't let the heat stop him from running in the grass yard so he still gets some exercise.

The other thing they love to occupy time with is "sniff". I basically hide treats (aka pieces of kibble) around the room, let them into the room and tell them to "sniff". They love it. It's hilarious because as soon as your say the word they start inhaling audibly This one I would be careful with, as it may teach bad habits depending on your dog and your house rules and expectations. I got the idea from someone who was in the beginning stages of training her dog to be a search and rescue pup but I just use it for fun. Our dogs don't chew or destroy things, so it's not a big deal to place a treat in a boot or under the corner of the rug but for other dogs, that might be confusing and make them think it's okay to mess with things that aren't theirs. I would just be careful and figure out if it will work for your dog or not.
    Thank you! It's good to read about your experience training the pups. I lol'd at the sniff game

Quote Originally Posted by Caity Rose View Post
    play with them! The main reasons we won't go out are i'm sick, it's pouring, or it's too hot. Usually they can make it through the day with just a little play. They bug me a little bit more but it's just a day or two.
    I'm going to try to find some good toys that will occupy the dog, like puzzle toys and such. I'm hoping we end up with one that can appreciate some down time occasionally too but who knows I'm basically preparing for a tornado of energy just in case.
  9. Senior Member
    I've always been a fan of lower energy dogs lol. I walk my two for 30/40 minutes in the morning and they will practically sleep the rest of the day hahaha