Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to address this?

1. Senior Member

How to address this?

Advertisements
    Titan is the perfect dog except for like two things.

1. He likes to jump on people to greet them. It drives me nuts. Any ideas of what I can do?

2. He's begs for food... And not very politely. I never give him any. And I do my best to ignore him but it's hard when he gets all up on you. I tried telling him a stern "no" but that just makes him talk back... Is there anything else I can do?
  2. Senior Member
    We just keep Finn separated when people are eating. He's not bad when it's just normal dinner time with us but when we have people over he bugs them for their food the entire time so he gets locked up.
  3. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Does he know stay? I've seen people use that to keep their dogs sitting while new people are introduced.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  4. Senior Member
    We have had problems with Mason jumping up on people. And we found that one of the biggest reasons he was jumping up on people was because he was so excited to greet them and people reinforced the behavior by petting him in an attempt to get him off of them. So we have been working on correcting both parts of the problem.

We work to calm him down before he is allowed to greet people who come into our house. Once he is in a clam state we allow him to approach the person to greet them. If he gets too excited and tries to jump up then we have the person turn their back on him and walk away and we also take Mason away and have him sit and calm down. Then we try again. It is a work in progress and he still does jump up on people occasionally but we have seen a huge difference in the frequency.

as far as begging for food I don't really have any advice. Do you feed him people food or scraps? Is there anything that you can think of that may be reinforcing this behavior?
  5. Senior Member
    Put him in a crate or another room, or outside, when new people enter the house. You can let him in after they've been there a while. If he still jumps, put a leash on him before you let him out, have him sit, and then have the person slowly and calmly approach him, while still ignoring him. Don't make any type of fuss. Calm voices, no special attention to the dog, and let your friends know to do the same.

For the begging, you can always remove him from the area. Work on having him lay down and or "stay"ing in an area slightly removed from the table.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    We just keep Finn separated when people are eating. He's not bad when it's just normal dinner time with us but when we have people over he bugs them for their food the entire time so he gets locked up.
    Yeah, that's what I do if it's more than just me and my family, but I'd rather not have to separate him. He's not mean or aggressive or anything. Just annoying. I kind of get the feeling from him the previous family gave him stuff so maybe he just needs more time get that I'm not giving in?

Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    Does he know stay? I've seen people use that to keep their dogs sitting while new people are introduced.
    No, he doesn't know stay. He knows sit & lay down, though. Maybe I can use the sit command?

Quote Originally Posted by RetepDoc View Post
    We have had problems with Mason jumping up on people. And we found that one of the biggest reasons he was jumping up on people was because he was so excited to greet them and people reinforced the behavior by petting him in an attempt to get him off of them. So we have been working on correcting both parts of the problem.

We work to calm him down before he is allowed to greet people who come into our house. Once he is in a clam state we allow him to approach the person to greet them. If he gets too excited and tries to jump up then we have the person turn their back on him and walk away and we also take Mason away and have him sit and calm down. Then we try again. It is a work in progress and he still does jump up on people occasionally but we have seen a huge difference in the frequency.

as far as begging for food I don't really have any advice. Do you feed him people food or scraps? Is there anything that you can think of that may be reinforcing this behavior?
    The bolded is exactly Titan. Mostly he gets a couple pets from the people first and takes that as an invitation to jump up and say hi face-to-face. I'll have to try the whole removing him and making him calm down again thing, that seems like it can work at home and out and about.

Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Put him in a crate or another room, or outside, when new people enter the house. You can let him in after they've been there a while. If he still jumps, put a leash on him before you let him out, have him sit, and then have the person slowly and calmly approach him, while still ignoring him. Don't make any type of fuss. Calm voices, no special attention to the dog, and let your friends know to do the same.

For the begging, you can always remove him from the area. Work on having him lay down and or "stay"ing in an area slightly removed from the table.
    Hm. I'll keep that in mind for at home. Thanks! I really do need to work on his "stay" command. and his "come" command now that I think about it...
  7. my kitchen is for dancing
    my kitchen is for dancing
    I use stay. Pepe our older one he was a stray in Spain and he LOVES the trashcan and any human food. When we eat even when we have guests he is such a pain in the ass.. but when I say stay he listens.
    Maybe also putting him in another room as long as you guys eat.

The jumping part put him in a kennel or crate when ppl enter the house. Let him out after a while and when he is jumping back in and so on till he knows not to jump when ppl enter the house or when he meet them outside. It worked for us
    Getting used to the new lifestyle far away from home and leaving my fear behind each day a little more.
  8. Senior Member
    I haven't had a pet dog in 10 years, but when I did I would show the palm of my hand to him and say no just before he tried to jump on me. I'd then pet him as he was sitting there. It seemed to eventually train him to not do it at all.

Didn't have a severe begging problem because all our dogs were outdoor dogs.
  9. Come along with me, misery loves company.
    Come along with me, misery loves company.

Lucy was like this. I hired a trainer to come to my house to help with those and other issues she was having.

1. Leash him when people come over. Step on the leash so he is unable to jump up and use the sit command. When he is being calm/not trying to jump give a treat or use positive reinforcement. And have the people who are coming over pet him only if he is sitting.

2. Lucy was really aggressive when begging for my food. What helped for her is when she is being good, laying down or sitting instead of jumping all over me, I call her a good girl. Teaching her the stay command and the off command were great too. I honestly am shocked how quickly she picked up these things bc she's a stubborn lil bitch but jumping has gotten better and the only way she begs for food now is by laying down and rolling over on her back
  10. Senior Member
    Does no one watch the Dog Whisperer?! LoL Your guests need to obey the 'no touch, no talk, no eye contact' rule when entering the house. The dog gets no attention until he is calm. If you can keep a jar of treats by the door, when the dog is calm, they can tell him 'sit' and give him a treat. Then he will learn that sitting when someone comes in the house means he gets a treat quicker! ^_^
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast