Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Split Personality Dog?

1. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels

Split Personality Dog?

Advertisements
    I think my dog has a split personality...and I'm looking for advice to rectify it.

Background: Dog is 1 year old GSD fixed female

When DH is around, the dog is the most docile, well behaved pup. She has some problems with submissive peeing because DH was initially more firm with her. But the peeing is now limited, which is a huge help.

When DH isn't around...she looses her shit. I'm not talking anxiety where-did-my-human-go, but like hyperactive jumping around chasing the house cat crazy. I just don't know what to do. We let her out in the morning to potty/roam around, but I let her in to spend time with me before I go to work but she's just so hyper! I don't know what to do. I'm trying to get ready but she is terrorizing the cat and won't listen to "No" and only gets distracted by toys for redirection for .2 seconds. Toys just don't run around and fight back like a live critter does ya know!

I want her to be able to spend some free time with me in the house while I'm there, but its getting nearly impossible for me to get ready lately with her terrorizing the cat/house.

Suggestions are more than welcome! She's not big into "treat toys" like her Kong.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by HisJuliet View Post
    I think my dog has a split personality...and I'm looking for advice to rectify it.

When DH is around, the dog is the most docile, well behaved pup. She has some problems with submissive peeing because DH was initially more firm with her. But the peeing is now limited, which is a huge help.

When DH isn't around...she looses her shit. I'm not talking anxiety where-did-my-human-go, but like hyperactive jumping around chasing the house cat crazy. I just don't know what to do. We let her out in the morning to potty/roam around, but I let her in to spend time with me before I go to work but she's just so hyper! I don't know what to do. I'm trying to get ready but she is terrorizing the cat and won't listen to "No" and only gets distracted by toys for redirection for .2 seconds. Toys just don't run around and fight back like a live critter does ya know!

I want her to be able to spend some free time with me in the house while I'm there, but its getting nearly impossible for me to get ready lately with her terrorizing the cat/house.

Suggestions are more than welcome! She's not big into "treat toys" like her Kong.

I don't see much mention of any "work" time she spends during the day - time when she is engaging her mind and/or body and expending some of the overabundance of energy a dog her age and breed has. I would encourage you to find time which you and the dog can spend doing some work on training (this will help change the difference in how she sees you and your DH with regards to authority figure) together and also to spend some good amount of time every day in hard physical activity time (running, fetch, etc), a nice walk with a backpack on the dog carrying a little weight, doing some nose work. I would also change up your morning routine so that she isn't sent out on her own to do the potty time - this is starting her entire day off in the wrong mindset - she is out there on her own, no structure and full of energy from a good nights rest - recipe for exactly what you get when she comes in and start up with the cat, etc. I would get up half an hour early and give her a good work (mental and physical) in the morning, potty, feed, she can have quiet time while you get ready (ie a kong, in her crate, etc), another potty before you leave and then she's in a different frame of mind.
  3. Senior Member

If it is definitely something that she only does with you then I would try taking her to training classes alone. She needs to also view you as an "alpha" in a sense. I am a big fan of positive reinforcement, only giving attention when they are behaving properly and giving treats when deserved. German Shepherds are working dogs and need a purpose or they will go stir crazy. If you have access to agility training or some sort of area where you can run her that should calm the crazy.
  4. Senior Member
    Letting her out in the morning isn't enough. Take her for a long run. Tired dog is happy, well-behaved dog. Also, bored dog is destructive dog. Find toys like Kongs or whatever works for her so you can exercise her mind after her runs exercise her body. Training also works as brain exercise.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  5. Senior Member
    I agree with the advice from PPs

GSDs are very strong willed and will take advantage of you if they don't see you as alpha. Engage her mentally and physically, I have to wake up 2 hours before I leave for work to spend time with mine and give myself time to get ready. My female demands ball time every morning within 15 minutes of me being up and will lay in front of the door and 'pout' until I grab the toys and go out with her.
  6. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Sorry, my background was limited. When I get home from work, we run/play & get her pooped out to the point she's laying around outside...we go in and its back to crazy.

In the morning she goes out to pee and to play (she's got farm kitties to keep her company...and doesn't chase those oddly enough). When she gets in we play some more and then I get ready, but she just never gets enough! I could play with her for the hours I'm up before work, and it wouldn't be enough! But if DH is home (like on the weekends) she gets in, we play, she goes to chill out on a bone. I know one of you suggested not letting her out first thing, but if we don't, she pees on the floor (trust me we've tried!)

I think it is something wired with me. I tend to be the "fun" pet parent (treats toys etc), but that's because I don't want her submissive peeing to me too. I might have to look into a training course for just me.
  7. Regular Member
    I think it is something wired with me. I tend to be the "fun" pet parent (treats toys etc), but that's because I don't want her submissive peeing to me too. I might have to look into a training course for just me.
    She doesn't view you as alpha over her. She views your DH as alpha of the pack which is fine but as for hierarchy you are below her. You need to make sure she knows you are higher then her in the pack hierarchy. Taking some training courses are definitely a good place to start. May mean dealing with the submissive peeing for a bit though but that should go away as she gets older.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Sorry, my background was limited. When I get home from work, we run/play & get her pooped out to the point she's laying around outside...we go in and its back to crazy.

In the morning she goes out to pee and to play (she's got farm kitties to keep her company...and doesn't chase those oddly enough). When she gets in we play some more and then I get ready, but she just never gets enough! I could play with her for the hours I'm up before work, and it wouldn't be enough! But if DH is home (like on the weekends) she gets in, we play, she goes to chill out on a bone. I know one of you suggested not letting her out first thing, but if we don't, she pees on the floor (trust me we've tried!)

You don't have to be "dominant" or go to the point of causing submissive peeing to have authority. I would find a trainer who can work with you in a positive manner that will allow you to feel "fun" but still be in a position of authority.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Grey Mare View Post
    You don't have to be "dominant" or go to the point of causing submissive peeing to have authority. I would find a trainer who can work with you in a positive manner that will allow you to feel "fun" but still be in a position of authority.
    Agreed 100%, check out pet professional guild to find a positive reinforcement trainer near you. You can also search on Victoria Stilwell's trainer search.
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by BiggyBiggs View Post
    Agreed 100%, check out pet professional guild to find a positive reinforcement trainer near you. You can also search on Victoria Stilwell's trainer search.
    LOVE Victoria Stilwell.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast