Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Great Danes

1. Senior Member

Great Danes

Advertisements
    Dh and I are seriously considering another dog once we get back stateside and move into a house. I was pretty sure I wanted another german shepard because Dixie is a fantastic dog. Lately though, DH keeps bringing up great danes and I remembered some members here have one, though I can't remember who! So what can you tell me about them? Pretty much all I know is they're giant

2. Senior Member
    They don't live very long. That's the reason I'll probably never own a Dane. I can't handle falling in love and knowing our time is so limited.

Also, since your DH plans on staying in, keep in mind that they would be very expensive to move OCONUS, and that many landlords won't allow them based on size.

But they are such awesome animals and gentle spirits!
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. Senior Member

I had 2 and I totally want another AFTER the military. You basically need a specially made crate to transport them overseas and Im pretty sure they are too big to ride on the PE. I had to re-home them once I got orders to Lajes and was going to have to live in the dorms. I wouldn't have wanted to bring them there anyways because the vet care was a joke and if they bloated it would have been a death sentence for them.

Good breeding is a must with them since they are prone to many issues.
  4. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    They don't live very long. That's the reason I'll probably never own a Dane. I can't handle falling in love and knowing our time is so limited.

Also, since your DH plans on staying in, keep in mind that they would be very expensive to move OCONUS, and that many landlords won't allow them based on size.

But they are such awesome animals and gentle spirits!
    And don't you already have two dogs?

life's a party, rock your body
  5. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    They are such nice dogs, however, just based on size, it can be impossible (and I mean that in a literal sense) to ship them, and since you are military, its something to consider. Also, their vet bills are more expensive because of their size. Why? Well, flea products, for example, do not come in 150 lb tubes, so you end up having to use a 100 lb tub and a 50 lb tube, which means you are paying for double the amount of product. The same goes for antibiotics and everything- you simply have to buy more, and it can get very expensive. Also, they have quite a number of heath problems, which, again, comes down to cost. Look up Wobblers disease, dilated cardiomyopathy, gastric dilated volvulus (aka GDV aka 'bloat', something GSD also get more commonly than other breeds, so its good to know about anyway). Due to these health problems, the average age at death for danes is 6-8, which is something I personally wont do just because its hard to get attached to something for it to end so soon.

If you do look into them, make sure that you look into the other genetic defects based on color- dont get color dilute animals (the all white, or other color dilute types) as they often are due to poor/irresponsible breeding and end up blind and/or deaf.
  6. AKA: Jerseyatheart86
    AKA: Jerseyatheart86

Yabos has a gorgeous Great Dane.

Eventually, I would love to have a Great Dane. We wouldn't adopt one though until DH's out of the military, he is working full time & I'm working part time and we have our own house with a huge yard. I'd also want to make sure I had a enough money saved away in case of a health issue, emergeceny surgery due to bloat, etc. I recently found out that they can do preventative stomach tacking to avoid the stomach twisting upside down if bloat occurs. They are such good dogs, very loyal & always wants affection.

7. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

I'm "permanently babysitting" one. I would not recommend them for a variety of reasons. I love dogs, and the dane is no exception, but it is literally painful for my heart to see what humans did to dogs with the great dane. He was bred for size, and that literally disgusts me that people created this monster. Yes he is sweet, but he has so many more issues than my dingo and my mutt. He is in pain or just plain uncomfortable so much more frequently, and it breaks my heart for him.

I also wouldn't recommend three dogs. Especially if your DH is still military. It's just not wise to get more than two pets while AD.
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I have one. I don't think I will ever own another breed because I love everything about them; their temperament, their size, their looks, etc etc etc.

BUT. They are expensive as SHIT. That's something to consider. We just paid about $400 to get his stomach tacked (which yeah, you really should do...Danes have an 85% chance of bloating if I remember the statistic I read correctly...Vino feel free to correct me, but they're the breed that bloats most often). We had to give him 13 pills a day for aftercare and that was even more money. We pay $100/month for his food. Not to mention all the soap we have to buy to bathe him because he's so big. Heartworm prevention is stupid expensive too. We paid $175 for a crate big enough for him but he's already outgrown it and we're looking to pay more for a new one now.

They also don't live long. Like Veen said, they have a ton of medical problems, and expensive ones. That's why getting their stomach tacked is so important.

They are a LOT to handle. You have to train them basically ASAP because of how fast they grow. You don't want an 80 pound puppy jumping up on people. Someone in our apartment complex adopted a puppy and returned him in a week because they couldn't handle him anymore. I wanted to take him in so badly but financially that would be a stupid decision for us right now. But that's something to think about...if you have any doubts about being able to handle and have patience then I would suggest a different breed. That goes with any dog though, so just keep that in mind. I still just feel so sorry for that poor baby.

Also be prepared to not be able to keep anything out of his reach. Kilo isn't a year old and is still growing but he can reach EVERYTHING. Stuff on the counters isn't safe. Nothing is safe.

Being in the military I would strongly reconsider three dogs (and a cat if I remember correctly?). If ya'll have to move to an apartment rather than a house they often have limits to numbers or even combined total weight, and a dane would definitely exceed that weight. Some of our friends here wanted to get one after seeing ours but their place has a 50 pound limit for dogs. I've even heard of some places having breed restrictions against them. Also, while danes are great apartment dogs because they grow up to be big cuddly couch potatoes, 3 big dogs in an apartment with two people doesn't leave a lot of room for anyone.

I know this probably sounds like I don't like the breed but that's not true. I LOVE them so much. I just think people see them and are all "oooh bad ass, giant dog blah blah" without REALLY thinking about just how big of a responsibility owning a giant breed is.
  9. Senior Member
    I didn't even think about the extra flea meds and things like that, good points!

Yes we have two dogs. I said were considering a third, doesn't mean it will absolutely happen. Just wanted some info and I definitely got it! I do think I have been turned off from a Great Dane, but I was more partial to a German Shepard anyways

10. Breathe and chill
    Breathe and chill
    Blog Entries

I loooove GD's, but I'm with villanelle...I could never own one due to their short life spans.

I would also think about adding another dog/puppy into your family, not just because of the military. Having two dogs already and then throwing a baby in on top of that (in a few years when you're ready) was a difficult transition; I couldn't imagine having another dog/living being to be responsible for right now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast