Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dog ate bird

1. Lime breakfast foot
    Lime breakfast foot

Dog ate bird

Advertisements
    My stupid asshole dog just ate an entire bird whole. He fucking SWALLOWED the entire thing. He's not a huge dog - weighs like 60 pounds but it's because he's very solidly built. He's medium sized, definitely not large. The bird was about the size of his fucking head so I don't know how he swallowed it.

Is he going to die? He knows last time he caught a bird he was scolded so he's hiding behind a bush in the backyard (woohoo, enjoy those ticks) and won't come in. I put some water outside since it's 101 degrees but I can't get him inside unless he comes out from behind the damn bush. For all I know he's murdering the bird's entire family back there because he's a douche canoe.

Is he going to like die or get sick or anything? He ate beak and feet and feathers and all. I've never dealt with this before. My Elliot just frolics and plays with the birds. He doesn't injure or kill them. Sirius never attacked birds, either. Now that he lives with my parents he will kill birds with the cats but he doesn't eat them. He leaves the on the doorstep like a gentleman.

I have an OB appointment that I'd rather not miss but if this is an emergency I will obviously cancel and take this animal to the vet. I just want to know what everyone thinks I should do. He's not puking out there or anything. Seems pretty fucking pleases with himself in fact.

2. The name says it all!
    The name says it all!

He should be fine, my cats (back when they were alive) would eat the whole bird, but just left the intestines on the floor for us to find. Thanks, Kitty.

DH: Thank you. ME: For what, babe? DH: For being you.

3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    *I* would put him somewhere that wont' be too hard to clean up and go to your appointment if it were me. Chances are he will suffer little to no ill-effect.
  4. Senior Member
    I'm so sorry but I can't stop laughing. Your poor pup! I have no medical advice to give but I'm sure once this blows over you will be able to look back and laugh about this
  5. Lime breakfast foot
    Lime breakfast foot

Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Grey Mare View Post
    *I* would put him somewhere that wont' be too hard to clean up and go to your appointment if it were me. Chances are he will suffer little to no ill-effect.
    Every place his crate fits is carpeted I'm concerned about possible pooplosions. I guess I will lay towels around his crate if I have too.

He finally came inside, drank a bunch of water and now he wants to lick me but I want him to go away.
    He is burping and coughing periodically so I anticipate vomit.
    I'm getting ready for my appointment and hoping he either pukes before I go so I can get him outside or that DH gets home before me and can clean it up since he's the one who praised the stupid dog after the first time he caught a bird and refuses to help me teach "drop it" since its easier to just catch the dog and take things or of his mouth. Yeah, not easier for me buddy

6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by babyjingo View Post
    Every place his crate fits is carpeted I'm concerned about possible pooplosions. I guess I will lay towels around his crate if I have too.

He finally came inside, drank a bunch of water and now he wants to lick me but I want him to go away.
    He is burping and coughing periodically so I anticipate vomit.
    I'm getting ready for my appointment and hoping he either pukes before I go so I can get him outside or that DH gets home before me and can clean it up since he's the one who praised the stupid dog after the first time he caught a bird and refuses to help me teach "drop it" since its easier to just catch the dog and take things or of his mouth. Yeah, not easier for me buddy
    -
  7. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

Quote Originally Posted by RetepDoc View Post
    I'm so sorry but I can't stop laughing. Your poor pup! I have no medical advice to give but I'm sure once this blows over you will be able to look back and laugh about this
    I'm sorry your pups ate a bird! I can't say anything on the medical side of things but I hope he's okay! My dog ate a squirrel whole one time..... He's a fricking rat terrier, but the thing just fell from the tree and plop, right into his mouth since he was just so patiently watching the poor thing struggle through the tree and he conveniently fell! Just chewed and swallowed I don't remember anything bad happening to him!

8. Senior Member
    I hope your dog's okay

...but "douche canoe" made me laugh so hard I might have peed a little tiny bit
  9. Senior Member
    Did he catch the bird? The only thing that would worry me would be if it was a super decayed bird, then he could potentially get some kind of parasite or something and would be worth at least a call to the vet.

If it's fresh, he should be fine, they can digest an entire bird. I wouldn't feed him anything today though.
  10. Lime breakfast foot
    Lime breakfast foot

In my house we trained our dogs. Growing up we would tell the dogs to go lay down in their pen and they would lay in the open space that the pen used to be in. I wouldnt even finish saying drop it and they would let go of what they had, but usually they didnt pick up stuff they werent supposed to. My husband grew up with dogs that knew tricks "shake hands" or "play dead" but got away with murder in other aspects. It took him deploying for me to get Elliot to be the perfect angel he is, but Ghost can't escape he poor training. He is learning slowly though. Just not when it comes to birds, apparently.

Ghost is moving around, changing positions, can't get comfortable. Maybe the feathers are tickling his esophagus. He's still smiling and wagging his tail. Like the cat that caught the canary except he's the dog that caught a some kind of bird that lives in my trees.

We are brushing his teeth when DH gets home. No way this dog is walking around with bird mouth in my house

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast