Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potty Training and General Training an older dog...

1. Senior Member

Potty Training and General Training an older dog...

Advertisements
    I just adopted a 2 year old dog and she has never been trained or potty trained before.

She will use a dog pad, but I am trying to potty train her for going to the door and letting me know. I have put the pad by the door so that when she goes to it I can catch her and take her out.

She acts like she is SO scared to go outside.. She acts like she doesn't know what grass is, and she is in no way leash trained. When I put the leash on her and take her out she just acts like she can't walk with it (maybe it feels weird pulling it out), and she just lays down and roll over in the gross onto her back.

Any advice and tips?

Also.. I am trying to teach her basic commands (one at a time) and she doesn't seem to be catching on.. We are still working on the same command (sit), because it's like she can't catch on.
  2. Senior Member
    Do you have to put the leash on to take her out?

When we got our newest dog, he was terrified of doors and had never seen grass. He still has some problems with doorways, but its gotten better.

Maybe try a lighter leash? Im not sure what kind of situation she came from, but the weight from the leash may freak her out and give her a "choking" type feeling.

Take all I say with a grain of salt, mind you. I am by NO MEANS an expert.
  3. Senior Member
    http://www.amazon.com/Do-Over-Dogs-S...s=do+over+dogs

You should read this book!

There are so many issues in your post that I would write an entire book trying to explain them all, but I think the book above is a good start.

Here are a few other resources for you:

Dog Behavior | ASPCA

Training Your Dog | ASPCA

This would be another really great book to read, and it's fairly short too.

Amazon.com: Family Friendly Dog Training: A Six Week Program for You and Your Dog: 1 eBook: Patricia B. McConnell, Aimee M. Moore: Books
  4. Senior Member
    My brother's dog was like that when he adopted her. Scared of everyone and everything to the point of going to the bathroom when she was scared. I don't know how long you've had your new pet, but it can take dogs, especially older dogs, awhile to acclimate to their new surroundings and owners. Be super supportive and friendly so you can make that bond first, up to and including going outside with her so she knows it's safe out there. There are new noises and shadows that maybe she hasn't heard before and just needs to feel secure in her new surroundings. Also remember to be patient, a scared dog can take time to learn confidence but she will get there!
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by BiggyBiggs View Post
    Amazon.com: Do Over Dogs - Give Your Dog a Second Chance for a First Class Life eBook: Pat Miller: Kindle Store

You should read this book!

There are so many issues in your post that I would write an entire book trying to explain them all, but I think the book above is a good start.

Here are a few other resources for you:

Dog Behavior | ASPCA

Training Your Dog | ASPCA

This would be another really great book to read, and it's fairly short too.

Amazon.com: Family Friendly Dog Training: A Six Week Program for You and Your Dog: 1 eBook: Patricia B. McConnell, Aimee M. Moore: Books
    -- what training method are you using for the commands you are attempting to teach? What motivates her - meaning does she respond better to food, praise or play as a reward?
  6. Senior Member
    Thanks for all the info everyone. She really is a great dog, but the shelter said that she was from a owner surrender who had kept her in a kennel for the majority of her life. She is so sweet and she doesn't seem scared of anything inside.. She just gets very nervous when I take her outside.

She is very food motivated and for sure responds better with treats. However, I find when I bring treats around she gets so excited that she can't concentrate on what is going on around her and what I am trying to teach her.

I have only worked on teaching one command at the moment, because I don't want to confuse her with multiple things at once.
    Last edited by Noodles; 06-04-2014 at 12:30 PM.
  7. Senior Member
    How about using her kibble/food as the reward rather than actual treats? She may be less excited but it will still be a reward. My dog always is down to eat food out of my hand even if he has a whole bowl of it like two feet away.
  8. Senior Member

Also, this girl has hundreds of other training videos that are awesome, and free.
  9. Senior Member
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BiggyBiggs View Post
    Actually this one might be better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRT6r6d79OU
    Thank you!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast