Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why, yes, I do have "sucker" tatooed on my forehead......

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Why, yes, I do have "sucker" tatooed on my forehead......

Advertisements

Those are DD's feet in the picture - and that beast of a fish in the bucket is currently en route to our house
    Apparently they are taking down a couple of tanks in the Ag room today and no one wanted/had a tank to accommodate this guy. DD sends me the pic with, "Doesn't Mr. Awesome want a friend?" (Mr. Awesome is DS's big pleco - he was pushing 14" last time I measured him) This "little guy" looks to be probably 8-10". Not one to doom the poor fish to either being crammed in a tank WAY too small for him, end up in a home where he isn't properly cared for (so many people don't realize you actually have to feed these guys, or don't realize how much they eat -- I am seriously considering doing a garden this year just to feed our plecos, lol) or, worse still being dumped/killed if no home was found I gave in
    Not sure if we will keep him or take him down to the guys that buy the fish from the kids' breeding programs - they are one of the few places I would feel good about taking him.
  2. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.

Well at least he is coming to someone with a big enough heart to give him a fighting chance. You are awesome!
    Signature removed due to size.
  3. Senior Member
    Wow, he's a monster! I never could keep plecos alive when I had aquariums. The goldfish (more like small carp) would kill them within a day or so.
  4. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    He's cool!!!

Question about Plecos, we have two in our tank at home and both are under 3" we feed them the algae pellets (2-3 a day) do we need to be doing other things for them?

5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Whoa! He is big!

~Art Page~
    Germy = wifey
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by April Lynne View Post
    He's cool!!!

Question about Plecos, we have two in our tank at home and both are under 3" we feed them the algae pellets (2-3 a day) do we need to be doing other things for them?
    What kind of plecos are they? There are tons of different species and the needs of them vary based on species. If they were sold just as "pleco" then they are likely common plecos - which are what turn into these monsters. If they were labeled as a specific type - bristle/busy nose, rubber lip, royal, clown, etc - they won't get as big and will have different needs. I have yet to encounter a pleco of any type that doesn't LOVE a bit of zucchini - a lot of people blanch their veggies before feeding, but I just stick them in the tank anchored to a rock or piece of wood with a rubber band or stuck on a stainless steel fork (should see the looks I get when people see forks in our tanks). There are a lot of different fresh veggies that they love. These big guys also like some meaty offerings, so I use frozen beef heart, shrimp pellets, etc for some protein in their diet.
  7. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Grey Mare View Post
    What kind of plecos are they? There are tons of different species and the needs of them vary based on species. If they were sold just as "pleco" then they are likely common plecos - which are what turn into these monsters. If they were labeled as a specific type - bristle/busy nose, rubber lip, royal, clown, etc - they won't get as big and will have different needs. I have yet to encounter a pleco of any type that doesn't LOVE a bit of zucchini - a lot of people blanch their veggies before feeding, but I just stick them in the tank anchored to a rock or piece of wood with a rubber band or stuck on a stainless steel fork (should see the looks I get when people see forks in our tanks). There are a lot of different fresh veggies that they love. These big guys also like some meaty offerings, so I use frozen beef heart, shrimp pellets, etc for some protein in their diet.
    They're common plecos and look a lot like him just smaller. I didn't realize i could give them veggies and stuff, is it ok to give them that with other fish in the tank? We have freeze dried shrimp pellets that we throw in occasionally if they're out where we can see them and aim for them otherwise they don't get them because the other fish will eat them

8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Awwwww! I don't know why but I love these monster plecos! I had a tank for years with just one of those. He was great and I loved that he ate "food". We gave him to a friend when we moved that had a huge tank.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by April Lynne View Post
    They're common plecos and look a lot like him just smaller. I didn't realize i could give them veggies and stuff, is it ok to give them that with other fish in the tank? We have freeze dried shrimp pellets that we throw in occasionally if they're out where we can see them and aim for them otherwise they don't get them because the other fish will eat them
    Absolutely - feed away, you may even see your other fish eating some of the veggies (if the plecos will share ).
  10. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I'm scared of plecos. I don't know why but they freak me out!

That's really kind that you're going to help this guy out though
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast