Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This dog's weirdest fetish is costing me...

1. Regular Member
    Blog Entries

This dog's weirdest fetish is costing me...

Advertisements
    My dog's favorite chew toy is my dirty underwear.

She has a rope, a squeaky toy, rawhide twist treats, and an old sock (because I thought it might be the material she likes).

DH and I keep a pretty clean house. We just don't care much about how our bedroom looks. So laundry get dropped on the floor. But even when we put it in a basket, this damn dog still finds a way to get at my underwear. I'm losing a pair at least every other day. I can't keep buying panties at this rate, and I'm not a fan of going commando.
    I have yet to catch her in the act. I just find the shreds of my undergarments laying around.

Have any of you had this problem? What do I do?

Let's not even talk about how she also likes to pull used condoms out of the bedroom trash and hide them around the house... it's been a while since she's done that.
    Patrick & Jacqui - Voluntarily putting up with each other's crazy since June 29th, 2011
  2. Banned
    Banned
    Buy a hamper with a lid. Same for bathroom trash. Don't give her access to those rooms. if you know there's a problem, I would just restrict her being in those rooms.
  3. Senior Member
    Honestly dogs are gross and they love stuff like that. You just need to keep them away from it. Quit dumping your clothes on the floor, if you absolutely can't help that then keep the door closed. Like Reagan said, buy a trash can with a lid.

I've lost a few pairs of panties to dogs in the past but it's really not that difficult to prevent it. They're dogs, not magicians. Put your stuff away.
  4. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Keeping the door to the bedroom closed seems like the easiest solution.
  5. Regular Member
    Blog Entries
    Our hamper has a lid, but when she knocks the basket over, that doesn't matter.
    This all happens out of our bedroom, and that's where she stays during the night per DH's preference.

I say crate her like we did before she was house trained but DH doesn't like it and says it's cruel.
    Patrick & Jacqui - Voluntarily putting up with each other's crazy since June 29th, 2011
  6. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I feel like there's basically two ways to work around the problem: either keep the underwear somewhere that she can't get to it, or keep her under constant supervision so you can catch her before she destroys them.

If shutting her out of the room doesn't work, you can talk to your DH about changing up the routine so she doesn't have access to where the underwear are on the floor. Maybe invest in a new hamper?

Alternatively, you can look into tether training so she is never out of sight to get to the underwear without one of you noticing. My experience has always been that it's easier to remove the opportunity for them to practice the behavior though.
  7. Senior Member
    Put a weight in the bottom of the hamper.
  8. Senior Member
    Keep her out of your bedroom. Dixie likes to eat trash, so we got a trash can with a locking lid. Problem solved.

9. Senior Member

We just keep our dirty clothes in the laundry room with the door shut or I put them straight in the washer. It's more to keep a baby out than dogs though.
  10. Senior Member
    First, a tired dog is a well-behaved dog. However much exercise she's getting now, add 50%. So if she gets a half hour walk now, make it a 15 minute jog in the morning and a half hour at night. Better yet, two half hour runs. Bored dogs explore and get in to things.

Buy a Kong for her. That's something interesting to chew, and it has a food reward.

A weight in the hamper is a good idea. If she can still knock it over, buy a trash can with a locking lid and use that. Or get a bungee cord and use that to lock the lid onto the hamper. Also, consider moving the hamper to the bathroom and keeping her out of there entirely if you can't/won't keep her out of the bedroom.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast