Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: How serious is this?

1. Senior Member

How serious is this?

Advertisements
    My 17 pound Westie poodle mix has one eye that is starting to swell shut. DH and I noticed it a half hour ago or so. No other symptoms--the swollen area doesn't seem to be tender and I can't see bite marks or anything. Wesley is letting us cuddle him and put a mini ice pack on it to try and bring down the swelling.

If it looks worse tomorrow or he acts in any way other than himself I was planning on taking him in but should I be more concerned?
  2. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

My cat is doing the same thing! He's staying with my parents for a couple months, and my mom said his left eyelid is droopy, but he's acting totally normal. I'm interested in this answer too.
  3. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

seasonal allergies?
  4. Senior Member
    I would take him in if it's not at least getting better by this evening/tomorrow morning, but as long as everything else is normal, I personally would not be rushing to the vet. If it's accompanied with pain or a lot of discharge or something then I would probably take him in sooner.
  5. my kitchen is for dancing
    my kitchen is for dancing
    I would put a ice pack on it and when it is not better by tomorrow morning I would go to the vet. could be allergies but also could be something else. You said he is not in pain and is acting normally so like post before I would not rash and wait till tomorrow morning
    Getting used to the new lifestyle far away from home and leaving my fear behind each day a little more.
  6. Talk Whovian To Me.
    Talk Whovian To Me.

It sounds like a bug bite or allergies to me. My cat got bit by some sort of bug and her eye area started to swell. It went down within a couple of days. Hope pup gets better soon!
  7. Senior Member
    I wouldn't worry just yet. You say it just happened so it could just be some sort of allergy, possibly from outside. My dogs occasionally get this, it's not even a regular thing it's weird. Sometimes it happens when we walk them on a trail away from our house. Sometimes not. Sometimes randomly when they've been outside. It manifests differently in each dog; my female's eyes get swollen, and my male's ears get swollen. Freaked me out the first time it happened but it went away in about 24-36 hours. If it isn't at least improving by tonight I'd take him in tomorrow.