Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DR. VINO VET HELP!!!! My puppy hates other puppies!

1. Regular Member

DR. VINO VET HELP!!!! My puppy hates other puppies!

Advertisements
    Dr. Vino Vet, please help me! I have a nearly 3 year old yorkie-poo (F) and a 16 month old golden retriever (M). Raised them both from 8 weeks old. The problem right now is with our golden and despite lots of research I don't know how to deal with the issue. Logan is the world's sweetest dog - until he sees a puppy. This started when he was around 9 months old. He absolutely hates puppies and gets very aggressive toward them. It's so bad we have to leave the park if a puppy comes. He is totally fine with any dog older than him. I've done research and read that this is a common issue, but I can't find any info on how to deal with it. I hate seeing my baby act that way and I certainly don't want him hurting anyone else's furbabies, which has very nearly happened. And I hate having to leave places when we see puppies. At this point I'm afraid to take him to the beach in case we see a puppy. It's like a switch goes off in his head and he becomes a different dog. Do you have any advice on how to deal with this? TIA.
  2. Senior Member
    I would find a good trainer, that's going to be very hard to explain online. Check out this site to search for a trainer in your area. The Pet Professional Guild
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by BiggyBiggs View Post
    I would find a good trainer, that's going to be very hard to explain online. Check out this site to search for a trainer in your area. The Pet Professional Guild
    -- aggression issues such as this are best addressed with direct evaluation and advice from someone who is able to be physically present with your dog.
  4. Regular Member
    I'm not sure how a trainer can help without a puppy being present though.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    What a trainer will help with is relieving your dog of the burden of thinking he's in control and that it is his job to take care of the perceived threat. The problem isn't that he's aggressive with puppies - it's that for whatever reason, he has an emotional response to puppies and that emotional response that he has overrides his ability to obey your commands to him and see you as the pack leader. A trainer can help you help him to understand that no matter what his attitude or feelings towards younger dogs is, he can trust you to be the pack leader and take care of the situation and it's ok for him to obey your commands and not act on what he's feeling.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AFWife4319 View Post
    I'm not sure how a trainer can help without a puppy being present though.
    I'd say that at least 60% of aggression issues are worked out before you'd put the dog in such a situation they would want to be aggressive. The trainer will also likely set up a training scenario with a puppy when your dog is ready. I don't know how a trainer couldn't help with aggression... that's what they're there for!
  7. Regular Member
    Lynn I never thought of it that way before. That is a very helpful perspective. Thank you!
  8. my kitchen is for dancing
    my kitchen is for dancing
    We had a Pitbull he didnt liked puppies at all. We went to training with him and he did very well, when he was walking on a leash sometimes even off leash but we never got it completely out of him. But with training yes you can change a little bit his behavior and his aggression.
    It is like we people some of us like kids some of us dont.
    See it this way in a wolf pack strange puppies get killed.. the only puppies they are safe are the puppies in the pack.. for dogs it is kinda the same. the puppies in the pack are safe the rest are seen as every other dog doesnt matter what age.
    Getting used to the new lifestyle far away from home and leaving my fear behind each day a little more.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by AFWife4319 View Post
    Dr. Vino Vet, please help me! I have a nearly 3 year old yorkie-poo (F) and a 16 month old golden retriever (M). Raised them both from 8 weeks old. The problem right now is with our golden and despite lots of research I don't know how to deal with the issue. Logan is the world's sweetest dog - until he sees a puppy. This started when he was around 9 months old. He absolutely hates puppies and gets very aggressive toward them. It's so bad we have to leave the park if a puppy comes. He is totally fine with any dog older than him. I've done research and read that this is a common issue, but I can't find any info on how to deal with it. I hate seeing my baby act that way and I certainly don't want him hurting anyone else's furbabies, which has very nearly happened. And I hate having to leave places when we see puppies. At this point I'm afraid to take him to the beach in case we see a puppy. It's like a switch goes off in his head and he becomes a different dog. Do you have any advice on how to deal with this? TIA.

Get a trainer. Every time you take your dog away from the other puppy he is being rewarded for his behavior. He is barking because he wants the other puppy to go away. When you take him away from the puppy (or the other owner takes their puppy away from you) he is getting exactly what he wants. Thus, you are teaching him to be reactive.

I take my dogs to Zoom Room and they help train reactive dogs (they also have multiple puppy specific classes as well). Zoom Room Dog Training | Agility | Obedience | Puppy Classes | Franchise They can often pull another puppy into your training session to work on the issue as well. Hopefully there is a Zoom Room near you or something similar. Petsmart/Petco training is a waste of time. Look for certified dog trainers.

10. Regular Member
    Khaleeesi, thank you for that point. It's a good one and I hadn't thought of it. But I have no choice right now. He has attacked 2 pups (no one hurt thankfully) and continues to get very aggressive even from afar. I'm not risking his safety or the safety of anyone else's dogs. Most of the time the park is empty. I go quite early now for that reason.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast