Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adoption Fee

1. my kitchen is for dancing
    my kitchen is for dancing

Adoption Fee

Advertisements
    I was wondering what is a normal adoption fee in the states?
    I was looking through the NC Boston Rescue shelters and found a little lady who sounds like a perfect match to our little Boston mix.
    Her adoption fee is $175 + $135 for transportation when we can not pick her up.
    I as a German I did not thought about the price because in Germany it is normal to pay an adoption fee around 200Euro. My pooch is from Spain and with everything I needed to pay like shipping, chipping and the passport I was by 350Euro + whatever you wanna donate..So I paid 450Euro including the donation.. I never thought about it would be to much or not normal because I knew this fee goes to the shelters in Spain and they can need every cent they can get.

DH says it is to much for a rescue and I guess now Im just wondering what you all think and what the normal fee is
    Getting used to the new lifestyle far away from home and leaving my fear behind each day a little more.
  2. Senior Member
    My MIL got hers for like $25 I think but then my boss got her two for like $250 each so I think it depends where you go.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    It can range from under $50 to several hundred - just depends on the group.
  4. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Grey Mare View Post

I got my 2 cats for 80$ from a shelter. They had a "Adopt 1 Get 1 Free" special.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  5. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

It depends on a lot of factors. Shelters try to keep the fees low here because a lot of people have the mentality that they could/should get an animal for free especially if they're getting a non baby animal or a mixed breed. Free kittens especially are easy to find, and so shelters tend to keep their cat fees very low because it's hard to convince people to pay for a cat, especially an older one. At the shelter I volunteered at and adopted my first dog from, dogs were $100.00 no matter what kind/age of dog. I think cats were $50. Both fees were much less than was spent on each animal in vet care and food and the difference was made up with donations.

Our second dog we got for $150 from a shelter here that had fees ranging from $50-250. I'm not sure if the prices were decided based on adoptability (for instance a young purebred lab would probably have a lot of interest and people would be willing to pay the higher fee) or if it was based on if the animal had needed extra vet care. I was always curious. I suspect it's the former, because our dog was a nine month old mutt...semi desirable because he was young and medium sized but not highly desirable because he wasn't a baby or a specific breed.

Basically it's just because the attitude towards pets here is not always the greatest.
  6. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Fee sounds pretty reasonable, I'm not sure about the "transport" fee as I've never had to deal with those. The humane society around here generally charges $150. It can be less if it gets sponsored by a local group.
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Grey Mare View Post
    I've seen everything.

Most common, the younger the more expensive, to encourage people to give adopting an older animal a chance. Pure bred, especially pure bred that they have proof (registration paperwork) can be extremely expensive. I have also seen fees for animals that were rescued and needed significant medical attention have a bit of a higher fee.

Personally, I support fees. I support the rescues and shelters making sure the animals being adopted are UTD on vaccines and preventatives, altered and I support the thought that if you can't afford the adoption fee, how are you going to afford vetting and food?

I think the price you found is very affordable, particularly the transportation fee.
  8. my kitchen is for dancing
    She would be a mixed breed not a pure breed.
    I called a few shelters in the are because I wondered and the fee was always somewhere between $25 and $50 also they have military special like half price and so. DH said all of his dogs they never paid more than $50..
    For me it was not even a question that it was to much.. seems like we have to talk about her because I think she is a perfect match
    Getting used to the new lifestyle far away from home and leaving my fear behind each day a little more.
  9. my kitchen is for dancing
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    I've seen everything.

Most common, the younger the more expensive, to encourage people to give adopting an older animal a chance. Pure bred, especially pure bred that they have proof (registration paperwork) can be extremely expensive. I have also seen fees for animals that were rescued and needed significant medical attention have a bit of a higher fee.

Personally, I support fees. I support the rescues and shelters making sure the animals being adopted are UTD on vaccines and preventatives, altered and I support the thought that if you can't afford the adoption fee, how are you going to afford vetting and food?

I think the price you found is very affordable, particularly the transportation fee.
    This is exactly what I am thinking too. Also a lot of organization working on a volunteer basis and the fee you pay goes back to their expenses.
  10. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Breed rescues (regardless of the paper status of the animal and/or whether it really is the breed; ie a Westie at a Scottie rescue) are higher. I think the organizations tend to more aggressively vet potential parents, and they are more likely to transport breeds long distances.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast