Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transitioning into having more freedom

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Transitioning into having more freedom

Advertisements
    One of our dogs you can literally not keep in a crate, name a trick or method or even crate type and we've tried it. So when we moved to this house we essentially gave the dogs their own room with the younger two in crates and Cairo free in the room. Well now I would really like to have that room back . Cairo is older and less trouble now so I'm hoping to transition him into being free downstairs. Everything down there is put in it's place so there isn't anything he can really get in to, it will definitely be good incentive to keep the house tidy!

Anyway I'm just looking to see if anyone has any tips if they have tried this, I know to start off with a very short duration of time and build it up, but if anyone has any other words of advice I'd be happy to hear them! I'm very pro crate so the thought of letting him have freedom in half the house makes me a little nervous. TIA!
  2. Senior Member
    We pretty much just started leaving him by himself for short periods of time and now he doesn't even have a crate at all. Luckily he never destroyed anything. Good luck!!
  3. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    We pretty much just started leaving him by himself for short periods of time and now he doesn't even have a crate at all. Luckily he never destroyed anything. Good luck!!
    This is what we have been doing with our puppy. She hates the crate. HATES it. I have sucessfully crate trained 2 dogs, but nothing we are trying is helping and she freaks out everytime we put her in there and won't calm down. So we started leaving her home for short periods of time, and now she can be home alone for hours, because I feel awful having her scream in her crate while we are gone.

We are super lucky though, she never chews up anything. Not even her toys. We give her plenty of chew bones though so maybe that's why. Aside from one of my flip flops, she hasn't chewed up anything since we got her.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I slowly transitioned my dogs out of their crates. Rumple was no problem at all and could be left out from a year old but Scout was another story. They went from crates to their room with the door closed to the door baby gated (I had one above the other because Scout could jump the extra tall gates) to gating off the hallway then they were given free reign. I also baby gated them in other rooms like the kitchen or living room if I was only going out for a short time so that it became boring to them essentially.

Now they just go wherever in the house. I have one crate still up because they like to go in there to lay down sometimes but I haven't had to lock anyone in a crate in about a year.
  5. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

We have two pups that roam free and never do anything, ever. The one we had to transition to that because when we got him he had some issues. We just really did small amounts of time, leaving him, and on the rare occasion he chewed something in the beginning, we showed it to him and told him no sternly, then moved on. I don't really buy the whole thing that they don't remember they chewed it unless you catch them in the act though They know they chewed it and can smell their own saliva if they need a memory jog.

Now we have no issues. Our house is one story, so they have free run of the whole thing. They prefer the bedroom that has a window out to the front/street side of the house, I guess because they can see us pull up in the car from that room.

You can try the busy toys too. I've found with our two that they don't like to eat/chew on anything while we're gone so we don't leave anything special. They just sleep/mope.
  6. Free!
    Free!
    The only puppy we had was Callie and we took her on a camping trip with no crate and that was it. She refused to ever go back in . She enjoyed sleeping with her people too much. Though we would use "get in the crate" and she'd run in a circle and then sit to wait for a treat. She never really got into anything and destroyed it either. She had many of the same toys from puppyhood til her death 12 years later.

Obie we had to keep in the kitchen and breakfast room because he was 10 when we got him and he was never properly potty trained.

Lily never had a crate and the only thing we had to watch out for was her getting into the recycling which she got into only a few times in the 4 and a half years we had her.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Good to know so many people had fairly easy transitions, that eases my mind a lot! I went on a walk tonight with friends that was supposed to only be a half hour (ended up being double that) and nothing was out of place and he met me at the door, small success but a success none the less!
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by HisCrazyGirl View Post
    Good to know so many people had fairly easy transitions, that eases my mind a lot! I went on a walk tonight with friends that was supposed to only be a half hour (ended up being double that) and nothing was out of place and he met me at the door, small success but a success none the less!
    If your place is tidy and their toys are the things that are available and not shoes and things they really just hang out. I'm fairly certain that my dogs just sleep on my bed for the whole day because they barely take their toys out and they don't eat the food that's available to them until I'm in the house
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Jazmine View Post
    If your place is tidy and their toys are the things that are available and not shoes and things they really just hang out. I'm fairly certain that my dogs just sleep on my bed for the whole day because they barely take their toys out and they don't eat the food that's available to them until I'm in the house
    yeah I think he just laid on the couch! He loves k-cups, which are obviously bad for dogs haha, so I put those in a cupboard but other than those it's clean in here. I think maybe I was just worried for nothing!
  10. Senior Member
    I'm jealous of everyone's dogs. Mine will chew stuff up right beside me (lab/pit mix...and a puppy so...) but luckily he loves his big crate!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast