Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Conversation with the vet receptionist

1. Senior Member

Conversation with the vet receptionist

Advertisements
    My dog is an 70 pound german shepherd. She is 7 years old, so has been 70 pounds since I moved here. I had her at the vet a month ago for a blood draw, and I went there today to pick up the heart worm preventative I ordered.

I've had issues with the receptionists there before, but the vets and techs are so good with her, it's worth it.

So anyway, I get the box of meds and noticed it was labeled for a 30-40 pound dog. When I asked the receptionist, she asked if I had specified her weight when I ordered the refill. Well, no last time I had her there (in fact, every time I've had her there) she weighed 70 pounds.

The receptionist said I should have said something when I ordered it because records can change. I think if my dog were to lost 30+ pounds in 3 weeks, I'd have bigger problems than heart worm prevention.

In the end, the receptionist was very nice about it and had the vet write a new script. But, if they had a question about her weight, wouldn't it makes sense to call and ask me instead of guessing a weight? What if I hadn't noticed, and was under-dosing her, making it ineffective? Or worse, what if they had overestimated her weight and I didn't notice and was overdosing her?

p.s. I know she is on the upper limit of "healthy" weight for female GSDs, but she is in excellent condition, just naturally big

2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    That's just silly, the receptionist should have known better.
  3. Senior Member
    I would really like to meet a 30-40lb German Shepherd. Literally every German Shepherd I've met on the job (and we're getting into the triple digits) are 50+ lbs. They should have known better.
  4. Senior Member
    Yea even my German Shepherd/ Pug mix weighs more than that haha
  5. Senior Member
    that's odd. They didn't just look at the last recorded weight... I mean really. Why guess.
  6. Senior Member
    That's dumb. And I don't think 70 lbs is the upper limit for GSDs? Mine is 70 lbs and the vet said she's perfect, that she's fit. But, the receptionist probably messed up somewhere and just wanted to blame you.

7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post
    That's dumb. And I don't think 70 lbs is the upper limit for GSDs? Mine is 70 lbs and the vet said she's perfect, that she's fit. But, the receptionist probably messed up somewhere and just wanted to blame you.
    For all my pet's meds they looked at her records to find out her weight.

~Art Page~
    Germy = wifey
  8. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

It sounds to me like she just screwed up and tried to blame it on you. I hate that.
  9. "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    That's really weird, it's your vets (and the clinics) job to ensure proper dosage to your pet! When I worked at a clinic we always checked the last recorded weight and dispensed the meds or script. I mean what made them pick 30-40 pounds they must have based it off of something?
  10. Senior Member

Wow... somehow I didn't see any of these replies....

I really do like the vets and techs, its just the reception staff I wonder about some days.

Quote Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post
    For females, the standard is 48-70 pounds (66-88 pounds for males). For a while, German Shepherds have been thought of as "big dogs," and so breeders have been breeding them for the "bigger is better" mindset.