Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Doggy Advice - Vino !!

1. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

Doggy Advice - Vino !!

Advertisements
    I just don't know what to do about my dog and it's breaking my heart.

The vet looked him over and says he is old but she can't pin point anything specifically that is wrong with him, however, he has now begun doing a lot of really weird things.

- He crawls under the bed (through tons of stuff that is under there) to hide for hours. Or he will curl up in corners and not want anyone near (very unlike him)
    - He is not drinking a whole lot of water, maybe a small dish full every 4 days, and we finally had him drinking regularly again.
    - He won't eat human food.Normally he is the first to gobble up dropped things from Naomi but this last week he won't even go near it. He also isn't really eating his dog full. 1 cup will take him 2 days or more to finish.
    - He doesn't want to go outside anymore - he normally loves outside and is the first to want to run away if given the chance. Today he got out and didn't even run away he just walked across the street and back. I have to pick him up and put him out to potty.
    - 6/10 times he tries to jump on the bed or couch he will miss and fall back down. (neither are very high)
    - At night he gets right in your face and paws at you repeatedly. Nothing will get him to stop. He paws and paws and paws and he doesn't want anything, won't go out ??
    - He has started peeing all over the house. And it's when I am home not just when I am gone (I've been trying to kennel him when I am gone when he isn't hiding so far under my bed and he even has peed in there). This morning he peed while I was getting naomi up from bed and then last night he just got up off the bed, I let him out he peed outside then came inside sat for like 5 min and then peed all over my carpet. (not happy about this at all) I have 10 spots i the last 2 days, it's so gross. And it's never the same spot.
    -He is snippy. in the few days he has growled or snipped a handful of times. Never at me or the kids but at weird things like the sandbox, the washer, his food bowl, his tail, the kitchen floor as he walked across it. No shittin his tail touched his back this morning he jumped and then barked at it and tried to bite his own butt. WTH???

The vet says she thinks he may just being going batty because of his age and that maybe it is time to think about putting him down. This thought makes me extremely anxious and sad and unsure so I wanted to reach out and get some other thoughts on the matter. Does this sound like too old doggy behavior? How can help it?
  2. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Isolating oneself (hiding) is a very common animal behavior as they get near death. We have a li'l kitty who is doing that herself here, and my heart is breaking. She's also limiting her food and water intake, which actually even humans do in their final stages.

The only suggestion I had is we have steps beside things so the animals don't have to jump - they can walk up . . . . it's helpful as we've had several older animals through the years.

It's so hard to make the best decision for our fuzzy butts. I wish you love and as you try to find the path.
  3. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Some of it sounds like old dog behavior- the snippyness can either be dementia/loss of patience (just liek human old people!) or because they are painful from things like arthritis. Urinary incontinence is also common in older animals, just like older people, although you would want to rule out other causes (UTI which can be checked by doing a urine culture), kidney disease (checked via bloodwork +/- ultrasound), diabetes (bloodwork), metabolic/endocrine diseases, organ dysfunction (ie liver disease, heart disease, peancreatic disease etc..) and then cancer. Loss of eyesight can be the cause of missing the couch, as can arthritis. Not eating or drinking much can be caused by a number of things, but I would worry about cancer and other organ dysfunction.

Unfortunately cancer isnt something you can always see with bloodwork, so unless you want to go on a hunt for it with radiographs, ultrasound and possible biopsies/exploratory surgery, it isnt something that will always be found even if it is there.

At the end of that day, euthanasia is very much a personal decision. There is no right time, because whats right for me may be wrong for you, or vice versa. In the end, it comes down to quality of life, and where your family draws the line.

My advice, if you are questioning, is grab a calendar. Think about all the things that make your dog happy, and allt he things that make him sad. Playing with a ball? Good! Peeing on himself, bad. Eating food well, good. Laying around all day, bad. And each day, think about if he had more bad or good. And on that day, write a smiley face on the calendar for overall good, or overall bad. Watch the calendar for a week, 2 weeks, a month- whatever amount of time you feel comfortable with, and see if there are more bad days than good. When bad days reach 50% or more, that is when I would consider euthanasia, but again, that is an entirely personal decision.

I am so sorry. This is always a really difficult decision to make. I have done it numerous times with my own pets and it is always hard. From my perspective though, I have heard very few people euthanize (after doing all the tests they wanted, which ranged from none to all) and say, 'why did I do that now?', while I have heard MANY people euth and wonder why they waited so long. Again , any questions at all, feel free to ask
  4. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

Thanks to both of you for responding. I've been a mess about it all day. Another question I have is how to go about talking to a two year old about this? We got him when she was 8 weeks old and they have been best friends since if we have to do this I want to be able to prepare her somehow. :/
  5. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Quote Originally Posted by just, Chaleigh View Post
    Thanks to both of you for responding. I've been a mess about it all day. Another question I have is how to go about talking to a two year old about this? We got him when she was 8 weeks old and they have been best friends since if we have to do this I want to be able to prepare her somehow. :/
    The book called 'The Tenth Good Thing About Barney'. Its what a neighbor gave me when my first pet died.
  6. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    The book called 'The Tenth Good Thing About Barney'. Its what a neighbor gave me when my first pet died.
    I will look it up. Thank you!
  7. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    My little kitty has chronic renal failure. We had to go out of town overnight, and left her at the vet Friday. I was bawling. Couldn't even talk. And I've been crying off and on since the diagnosis in October. So, my heart feels for you.

You might ask the local library for books - I librarians. For myself, I checked this out last June and it helped:
    Saying Goodbye to Your Angel Animals
  8. Mouse Addict
    Mouse Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    My parents bought me this book as well.