Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: My dog keeps eating rocks!

1. Senior Member

My dog keeps eating rocks!

Advertisements
    How do I stop him from eating rocks? His vet knows he eats them and gave us vitamins in case he is missing something in his diet. I don't really think the vitamins are helping though. He pukes up rocks and bits of sticks at least a couple times a week. It's almost like he is a little anteater and sucks the rocks up as he is walking along. Seriously it's like he goes oh look a rock, slurp, yum! He will find the lone little rock in the grass and start chewing away on it. I know rocks are bad for him and can cause serious issues. He has tons of chew toys he uses and we have a couple Nyla bones he chews on as well. Even on our walk yesterday he would suck up rocks as we walked past them so I don't think it's a boredom issue really.
  2. my kitchen is for dancing
    my kitchen is for dancing
    he could be stressed or bored maybe even anxiety. when you know it is not a medical condition you can try to use a spray bottle and anytime you catch him spray in his face remove the rock as soon as he drops it.
    I dont see a sense in punishment when you dont catch your dog also it could be counterproductive.
    Also how long ago did your vet gave you this meds and what food is he getting
  3. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    My female used to eat rocks when she was a puppy, suppliments and close supervision were the only things that helped to stop it until she grew out of it.

4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Maybe try bringing along dog treats? That way you have something to take his attention away from the rocks and it's a reward.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoraAnna View Post
    he could be stressed or bored maybe even anxiety. when you know it is not a medical condition you can try to use a spray bottle and anytime you catch him spray in his face remove the rock as soon as he drops it.
    I dont see a sense in punishment when you dont catch your dog also it could be counterproductive.
    Also how long ago did your vet gave you this meds and what food is he getting
    If we can catch him do it he does get told to drop it and he usually will. The vet didn't really say how long to give him the vitamins, but he started them on the 21st of March and I have 60 days worth. He just eats Purina puppy chow.

Quote Originally Posted by April Lynne View Post
    My female used to eat rocks when she was a puppy, suppliments and close supervision were the only things that helped to stop it until she grew out of it.
    He has done this since he was really young too, he was found when he was about 4-5 weeks old and we decided to keep him when he was about 5-6 weeks old. Hopefully he will grow out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazmine View Post
    Maybe try bringing along dog treats? That way you have something to take his attention away from the rocks and it's a reward.
    If he continues doing it on walks I may try bringing treats along. We had the whole family yesterday so it wasn't a normal walking situation for him and I.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

So, I'm no help. Just fair warning

Sully, my parent's dog, was brought home around the same age Bacon was. He also ate rocks. I remember in middle school knowing that he just threw up because you would hear a slew of pebbles hitting the ground. My parents did everything but he still ate them. Well, when he was a bigger puppy (he's a Rhodesian ridgeback but without the ridge), he ate a bigger rock. This time it got stuck in intestines and he had to have surgery to get it out. To this day, like over ten years later now, my mother still has that rock in the plastic vet bag, that he gave to her because she says it's the most expensive rock, even more so than her jewelry, to this day.

So, not funny, not helpful, but Sully did grow out of it eventually.
  7. Senior Member
    I am amazed at some of the size rocks he a puked up. We seriously have a little collection of Bacon's rocks...lol. When he first started doing it in Guam we still told him no and stuff but in our minds we were crazy Bonnie Puppy, but here I swear he will find that one tiny piece of rock in the grass and have to eat it. I really hope he grows out of it soon like Sully did.
  8. Senior Member
    Not really much here, considering I never had a dog that ate rocks. But I would suggest having him on a restricted heel on your walks and to supervise him in your yard.

Purina Puppy chow isn't nutritional. Purina ProPlan is slightly better than puppy chow, compared to the rest of the products. I would suggest looking on dogfoodadvisor if you want to research/find a product that would be a healthier choice for your pup.