Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Good vibes for Lily

1. Free!
    Free!

Good vibes for Lily *update*

Advertisements
    In the past month or so she's had a lot of issues. She had a cough that we, meaning us and the vet couldn't figure out. Then the past couple of days we would rub her belly and she'd yelp like she got stuck with a hot poker. I also notice that she got a lot of flab under her even though she's at a good weight and if you don't look at her from the side she looks fine. So my parents took her in today and they shaved her belly and found a ton of bruising and the flab was edema. They've taken blood and she's on a diuretic, antibiotics and steroids and now we're waiting on results. The diuretic is already starting to bring down the swelling and she's been acting normal through the whole process (except for the occasional yelps). I'm just hoping it's something that is easily treatable.

Update: Well she has thrombocytopenia which means her platelets are low. They have no idea why so she got more blood tests on Monday, a shit ton of steroids and I have to take her back Tuesday. The steroids made her gain more edema so she's on the diuretic again. Poor girl has to go out every hour and then she drinks as soon as she gets back in. She's still pretty much acting normal though so that's a good sign.
    Last edited by Boneslady; 04-08-2014 at 10:48 PM.
  2. Senior Member
    I hope the medicine works! Also, I don't think I've ever heard a dog cough. It's actually not even something I've ever thought about until just now.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  3. Free!
    Free!
    Quote Originally Posted by missinghim View Post
    I hope the medicine works! Also, I don't think I've ever heard a dog cough. It's actually not even something I've ever thought about until just now.
    Same here! It's kind of like the retching sound before they throw up but nothing comes out. It was very strange because the first time I heard it I was half asleep expecting puke on my bed.
  4. Free!
    Free!
    Update in first post.
  5. Free!
    Free!
    We took her to the emergency vet today. She started swelling badly in her legs and got super lethargic. They did an ultrasound and something is wrong with her pancreas and they think it's cancer. Though the vet was fairly perplexed. They aspirated a sample from her pancreas because this point she was too unstable for a biopsy. We left, after 6 hours, and visited. She seems to be in good spirits even though she was ready to go back to sleep after about half an hour. Super happy to see us, went out had a huge poop, etc.

I don't want to lose another dog. It's only been 5 months since Callie died. She's only 6.
  6. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you