Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sedative or No (flight)

1. Senior Member

Sedative or No (flight)

Advertisements
    My dog will be going on a 5 hour flight next week (direct, no layovers).
    He has some issues with anxiety/fear. He is crate trained. He will also be wearing a thundershirt (that has been a major lifesaver for us, it helps him so much).

Anyway, the vet gave me a mild sedative to make him drowsy on the flight (I don't remember the name offhand).
    But I've heard that sedatives can increase the risks of flying.

The vet did give me extra, so I'm thinking of giving him one on Saturday when I can be with him all day and make sure he reacts ok.

Pros? Cons? Thoughts?

There is not an alternative to him traveling.

2. Senior Member
    I definitely think that if you decide that he needs it to do a trial run before hand. Is it acepromazine (spelling?)??
  3. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Acepromazine? Benzodiazapene? Midazolam? Diazepam?

There is an increased risk fo death on flights when sedatives are used, especially if they are in cargo. The changes in blood pressure that occur with sedatives, and then with changes in pressures with planes- well, sometimes hat is too much for the animals body to handle. I woud deffo try some out this weekend, but them being ok this weekend doesnt mean anything about how they will do with the flight. You need to do what you think is best, but personally, I would be wary. And many airlines wont allow meds to be used.
  4. Senior Member
    I asked about sedatives for my dog to fly and my vet basically panicked at the thought. The risks make me way too uncomfortable tbh, there's no way I'd even take the chance. He might be scared but he'll survive.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I know from flying our pets a few times now that the airlines are seriously uncomfortable about flying pets on sedatives of any kind because of the increase chance of something happening to them mid-flight. For me, I won't do it for any of our animals. My lab mutt was seriously angry with me after the flight here from Hawaii and refused to even look at me for several hours after getting him into the hotel but he lived. Just mad
  6. Senior Member

That's what I thought. I really wasn't comfortable sedating him....
    I just worry about him, he gets so scared when he's alone

7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HazeGray View Post
    That's what I thought. I really wasn't comfortable sedating him....
    I just worry about him, he gets so scared when he's alone
    It's hard to put them on flights. my poor dog was absolutely terrified when the whole process started, we had to take him to the cargo place and they weighed him in his crate on a wooden palette and he flipped out. i thought he was gonna tip his crate over tbh. but then we arrived at our final destination and they wheeled him out to me and he was happy as a clam! I know it might be different for a dog with anxiety issues but at least it's only 5 hours.
  8. Senior Member
    I flew with my dog and cat from Hawaii to Maine on United. They wouldn't allow them to be sedated. They did just fine and our trip turned from 17 hours into a 30 hour trip because plane problems and missing the connection flight.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

When we flew here, the stress of seeing everything get packed out caused my lab to start having horrible poops with even blood in it. He almost didn't get the health certificate but our vet knew it was stress related so gave us the certificate but mad eus come back the day before to just be sure that the stuff he gave us helped Charlie get more solid. This time, once we get real orders, Charlie will be flying to my parents before anything gets packed so that he's safely there and doesn't have to go through all the stress since I don't have the same relationship with our vet here as our old vet in Hawaii.

I hate flying animals!
  10. Senior Member

Bento was a psycho flying from Japan to Texas. We had to force him in the crates and on one flight you could hear him barking under the first class seats. Someone asked me later when we were walking him if he was riding in cabin.

2 weeks later from Texas to Turkey he walked in that crate no problem each time and didn't make a peep.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast